Author Topic: Classic Metal Works Chevy Pickup in N scale too?  (Read 1048 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Classic Metal Works Chevy Pickup in N scale too?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »

Even double N size (H0) that thing looks crappy.  What instantly struck me as bad?   The fit of that windshield (and its Coke-bottle-like thickness), the fit of tires on the rims, and the headlight (if that's what those are?).  Maybe those are projector headlights?  :) The side mirrors also look really weird. Too big and clunky, and placed at a strange angle.  What are these people using for references? I can only imagine how the N scale version will look.  :scared:
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »
+1
Hopefully, the N version will look better than this:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

:P

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:25 PM »
MRN did say these were really test samples so I hope that the issues are will be addressed in production. These are important models for GM and the basic body lasted though 1988.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:24:04 PM »
To be fair the HO body itself does look decent. Hopefully they will have more realistic headlights on the HO model (and the wheels, etc).

It would be awesome if the N version is acceptable.

Mark

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »
MRN did say these were really test samples so I hope that the issues are will be addressed in production. These are important models for GM and the basic body lasted though 1988.

Yes, this. When I was in high school I wanted my first car to be a 4x4 Chevy shortbed pickup. Yeah, I’m a redneck. An older friend of mine had one that he put big mud tires on, but no lift. Every time he hit a pothole the step side fender edge cut a deeper groove in the rear tires!

It’s out of my era, but I might have to have an HO one if it looks decent.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »
To be fair the HO body itself does look decent. Hopefully they will have more realistic headlights on the HO model (and the wheels, etc).

It would be awesome if the N version is acceptable.

Mark

Going by the recent (and even not so recent) history of CMW N scale models, I won't hold my breath.  Especially that (like someone else mentioned) their quality and overall fidelity of the models seems to be heading in the wrong direction, but if by some miracle this model is decent, I will cheerfully give credit where the credit is due.
. . . 42 . . .

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 11:06:06 PM »
That's the biggest door lock cylinder I've ever seen.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 11:18:58 PM »
That's the biggest door lock cylinder I've ever seen.

And that's the smallest of its problems.  It goes well with the door mirrors.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 12:08:05 AM »
It looks like the model is missing the headlight lenses.  What we are seeing is the hole for the headlight lens. 

If they can nail the proportions of the body, the other issues should be fixable.  The Atlas Ford Taurus did an excellent job of capturing the proportions for the body, but the clear plastic headlight lenses needed a reflective backing.  I fixed that issue by replacing the lenses with Kristal Klear, and then applying silver paint behind the lenses.  Here is link to an explanation of the process.  http://nscalevehicles.org/tips_n_tricks/atlas_taurus.php

While I would not need many short box 1/2 pickups, I can see using the cab to kitbash some 1-tons with the River Point Station service beds and scratch built flatbeds.   :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:12:35 AM by cfritschle »
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 12:28:45 AM »
It looks like a nice Tonka.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 12:55:26 AM »
+1
It looks like a nice Tonka.

:lol:  I had the same thought when I first saw the photo.  However, whenever N scale models are shown larger than life, a lot of things show up that would likely not be all that noticeable under normal viewing conditions.

A case in point is the Atlas 1997 F-150.  The headlights really bother me on that model, so I paint them as shown below in a before and after view.

Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 01:35:40 AM »
:lol:  I had the same thought when I first saw the photo.  However, whenever N scale models are shown larger than life, a lot of things show up that would likely not be all that noticeable under normal viewing conditions.

A case in point is the Atlas 1997 F-150.  The headlights really bother me on that model, so I paint them as shown below in a before and after view.

Well Carter, the photo I posted earlier was of the H0 pre-production model, not N scale model.  Just imagine how much more unforgiving will the camera be with the N scale version (if one is made).

As for comparing anything that CMW makes to Atlas, that is not a fair comparison.  In that Atlas trucks in your photo, everything seems to fit well. Not so in any of the recent CMW models.  I'm sorry Carter, no matter how we try, there is no making excuses for those models. They are sub-par.  If I can find some time, I will gladly post some photos of the recent wagon next to a better-quality Atlas car, and also to next to one of those Chinese-made inexpensive "background models" you can by by a dozen on eBay.  Then everybody can judge which of those vehicles is most similar to the CMW model.
. . . 42 . . .

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 08:25:52 PM »
An excellent prototype choice however, I question the short box model over the much more common 8 foot box.

6 foot boxes dominate today (along with extended cabs) however, the 8 foot box was ubiquitous in the seventies and eighties.

Hopefully their quality will improve too, not impressed with their latest offerings.
I’m not here to argue