Author Topic: Need to convert couplers on new Atlas RS-2  (Read 2036 times)

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
Need to convert couplers on new Atlas RS-2
« on: February 08, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »
A coupler trip pin on the Accumate coupler fell off.  Anyway it seemed to have been lightly glued into the pin hole.  I prefer Micro-Trains Line magnematic N scale couplers for full funtioning.  The delayed coupling feature is nice for backing cars into a siding without needing to uncouple again.  On my older Atlas locomotives, I either had to snap out the plastic coupler retainer or use a 0 or 00 tiny phillips screwdriver to remove the Accumate factory Atlas coupler.  I noticed my new Atlas RS-2 has really tiny phillips head screws with my screwdriver way too big to fit the slot.  What size screwdriver is needed and where do I order one?  Here are a couple of photos showing the screwdriver problem and the new locomotive:

Looks good doesn't it:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:44:23 PM by GaryHinshaw »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Need to convert couplers on new Atlas RS-2
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 06:15:18 PM »
I've pretty much been out of N scale since 2017, but, unless they changed the design of the Accumate coupler, those trip pins are only pressed into place on the bottom of the coupler.  You should be able to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to put the pin back into place without removing the coupler.

If you want to replace the couplers with MTL, you only need a small screwdriver.  If you don't have a set of small screwdrivers, buy one.  You'll use them a lot.  Half the time I'm too lazy to find the phillips head screwdrivers, so I just use a straight screwdriver to remove the screw from the coupler box.

Hope this helps,
DFF
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:18:25 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 06:31:16 PM »
If you don't have a set of small screwdrivers, buy one.  You'll use them a lot. 

Great advice! And true.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »
And they can be found anywhere that has tools. Hell the ones I've been using for the last 2yrs came in a set front the dollar store.
-Al

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 03:57:52 PM »
 :?  OK guys, here is a picture of what I am asking.  The 2010 Atlas GP-7 is on top.  The 2016 Atlas RSD-4/5 is on the left.  No, the common Task Force size 0 and 1 Phillips  will not fit their coupler screws.  The size 00 silver hobby and size 00 black Wiha (German) Phillips fit both OK.  However, the new 2020 Atlas RS-2 in the center has a really small Phillips screw with shallow +slot.  Tiny slot screwdrivers do not grip it.  That is my problem.  Logically, a size 000 Phillips precision screwdriver could fit it, but I am not sure.  On Amazon I do find one precision Phillips screwdriver set with possibly smaller screwdrivers, but it is sized differently.  Wiha offers 000 as their smallest Phillips. I have checked other web sites and come up empty.  Maybe someone who has actually changed couplers on the new Atlas RS-2 will chime in.  Yes, I know how to replace the Accumate pin, but Micro-Trains Magnetic couplers are what I like!  Worst case scenerio is trusting luck and ordering the 000 Wiha, then the Amazon set if 000 doesn't fit.  Maybe someone knows what size really fits the Atlas RS-2 coupler screws.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 04:29:36 PM by Albert in N »

Southern1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 02:26:28 AM »
Hi Albert,
Maybe get one of these multi piece screwdriver sets, as the Phillips head tips get quite small.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I haven’t found a small Phillips head screw that they could not turn.
Cheers

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »
+1
... Wiha offers 000 as their smallest Phillips. ...

Go ahead and get the Wiha #000; it'll work. It's been my go-to for impossibly small Phillips-head screws for years.

Between trains and fine musical instruments, having learned the hard way I avoid the cheap sets.  :(  The precision and durability are worth the price of the Wiha tools.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
+1
Hate to be the one to suggest cheap tools but all the big box stores have sets that go down to 000. If you want something you can have today...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Precision-screwdriver-10-Piece-Rubber-Handle-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver-Set/50135070

I wish you could still get the old Craftsman sets they were by far the best precision screwdrivers I've ever used...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 10:39:18 AM »
Go ahead and get the Wiha #000; it'll work. It's been my go-to for impossibly small Phillips-head screws for years.

Between trains and fine musical instruments, having learned the hard way I avoid the cheap sets.  :(  The precision and durability are worth the price of the Wiha tools.

If you can wait a day.  Only Philips but down to #000.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26194-Screwdriver-Phillips-Precision/dp/B000NZ5QGK/

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
 :)  Thanks guys.  If it wasn't for me about to have my 77th BD and already downsizing some, I would get a full set.  I have my share of cheaper sets with my one Wiha phillips size 00.  None of the cheaper sets available near me have size 000.  I ordered a phillips 000 x 40 mm direct from Wiha and also ordered a slot 1.5 (1/16 ") x 40 mm.  The two screwdrivers cost $10.85; after adding shipping and sales tax $19.27 is the final total.  The slot is needed since that is the size that replaces the bent and chipped cheaper slot screwdrivers that size.  My 00 Wiha has lasted over 20 years and still looks new.  Here is a link to Wiha:  www.wihatools.com/
Also this is a better photo of the small coupler screw head on the new Atlas RS2:

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 11:22:56 AM »
... I wish you could still get the old Craftsman sets they were by far the best precision screwdrivers I've ever used...

I have one of those sets, although the individual drivers now seem to be scattered around the house... workshop... garage... kitchen drawer... layout room... workbench...  :facepalm:

I personally think the Wiha are better especially for Phillips. They have hardened tips versus the Craftsman which are of traditional design, with the tips machined out of the shaft material. I've managed to mangle one of those.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »
I have one of those sets, although the individual drivers now seem to be scattered around the house... workshop... garage... kitchen drawer... layout room... workbench...  :facepalm:

I personally think the Wiha are better especially for Phillips. They have hardened tips versus the Craftsman which are of traditional design, with the tips machined out of the shaft material. I've managed to mangle one of those.

I'll have to pickup a set and try them out. If they are anything like their full sized drivers I'm sure they are ace...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »
Took an extra week for Wiha tools to come to Texas from Minnesota due to blizzard, but now I have them.  Removed Atlas RS-2 Phillips coupler screws with the new size 000 screwdriver.  Noted that the rear coupler screw was defective in that head slot was not formed properly and too short.  I borrowed a similar screw from one of my Walthers GP-60s.  Also, I noticed that the new Micro-Trains Line 1015-1 couplers now have darkened trip pins.  This is an improvement over the old brass color trip pins. Here is a photo showing the delay feature (for pushing uncoupled car into siding) with the installed MTL couplers:

Here is a side photo of the RS-2 with the older MTL couplers on the attached MTL gondola:

Here are the two new Wiha precision screwdrivers (slot one is for MTL coupler screws on other projects):

Note that these Wiha screwdrivers are no longer made in Germany.  However they are still magnetic, tough, and have swivel handles:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:06:46 PM by Albert in N »

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 11:52:43 PM »
Interesting they are now made in Poland.