Author Topic: MBK no longer carries Scale Trains models?  (Read 2866 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
MBK no longer carries Scale Trains models?
« on: February 04, 2021, 12:41:19 AM »
I checked few of the online shops I usually deal with (Hogs, Trainworld) and neither carries Scale Trains models.  So I went to Scale Trains website and found their list of dealers.  Neither one of them is listed there, and neither is MBK!  I also noticed that it seems that Scale Trains seems to be serious about direct sales. What's the story? Last time I bought a Scale Trains model was the Big Blow turbine (from MBK), so Ive been out of the loop for few years.
. . . 42 . . .

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: MBK no longer carries Scale Trains models?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 12:54:37 AM »
Dunno, but last few models Scale Trains released that MBK did list vanished off their inventory lickity split, like in hours.  They don't offer much discount on them either, and ST does seem committed to the direct sales approach, which I guess makes sense for them because they can keep all the profit in house instead of sharing with a dealer.

Lombard Hobby does seem to still be a dealer, as they are listing new runs of Scale Trains engines on their website right now if you need one and don't want to deal directly with Shane and his folks.
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 01:11:30 AM »
Well, I was sort of eyeing the UP Standard Turbine, while not having to reserve them (and getting a decent discount).  That's how I got my Big Blow turbines at MBK.  Scale Trains site shows them as "reservations sold out", and if MBK is not listed as a dealer of Scale Trains products, then I guess I'll have to readjust my buying stratergy.  Or go without.
. . . 42 . . .

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:22:06 AM »
If you can find a Scaletrains item listed for anything below what ST's is selling for on their website, that shop is just trying to get rid of the item.  ST's offers free shipping over $100 so there's that.  That is one thing I do like about the consistent pricing structure, if you find it after ST's is sold out, it's the same price across the board.  However, there are occasions where I've seen the local retailer selling it for more than ST's. 

One other strategy is to wait until they arrive and watch the ST website.  They give pre-orders 10 days from arrival to pay or they turn them loose back into their inventory and it will show up on the website again for ordering. 

Few other shops that I know usually carry a good level of stock of HO and N:
Hiawatha Hobbies
Spring Creek Model Trains
Yankee Dabbler
White Rose Hobbies

Cheers,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:00:03 AM »
Scale Trains only distributes to B&M shops.. and does Map Pricing... 

Caboose Stop Hobbies also handles it.. Call or Email to order, no deposit pre ordering.

~Ian

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »
I would second the suggestion to keep an eye on Lombard Hobbies. They seem to be one of the few places anymore that gets in a large stock of “hot” new products to keep in stock on a shelf in a physical b&m store, in addition to having an established and growing mail order business. They had stacks of Scale Trains Gevos for a long time after they came out.

Spring Creek would be another option for the same reason. You will be well-served to actually call either place on the telephone (especially SC) when your sought-after item hits the street.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »
Lombard apparently does not update their web site as frequently as perhaps they should.
I was looking to get some more ET44s, and a couple weeks AFTER Scale Trains had them in stock there was still nothing showing on the Lombard site.
I emailed them, and quickly got a response that they had them in stock, then placed the order and received them in good time.  That was some time back, and only now are they showing up on the web site.

I'd order direct but it would cost me another ten per cent as I'd have to pay state tax.  That may sound chintzy, but that would have been in the neighborhood of $40.  I'd get free shipping either way...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
Well, I was sort of eyeing the UP Standard Turbine, while not having to reserve them (and getting a decent discount).  That's how I got my Big Blow turbines at MBK.  Scale Trains site shows them as "reservations sold out", and if MBK is not listed as a dealer of Scale Trains products, then I guess I'll have to readjust my buying stratergy.  Or go without.

MBK ended the sales of ScaleTrains models sometime after the second run of Big Blow Turbines was released.

After attempting to close out some of the very few pieces of their unsold ScaleTrains inventory (i.e., locomotives and turbines), I believe the remaining stock was sent back to ScaleTrains, where it was promptly sold.

Priced the same as MBK (i.e., with the free shipping that I receive from both firms), I have been consummating all of my in-stock purchases and pre-orders directly through ScaleTrains and use two online sellers, Hiawatha Hobbies and Lombard Hobbies for sold out products.

Unfortunately, as of this writing, neither of the aforementioned online retailers has ever listed the now sold out third run BNSF and Canadian National Tier 4 GEVO locomotives.

With production numbers now being kept to small percentages over committed pre-orders, it has been my observation over the past year or so that failing to make a timely pre-order with ScaleTrains will likely result in your not finding any stock available once the products have arrived in the States.

Given my failure to pre-order any Tier 4 GEVOs and their subsequent unavailability after delivery, I did not make the same errors with the Standard Turbines or the upcoming Multi-Max cars.

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
+1
Lombard apparently does not update their web site as frequently as perhaps they should.

Lombard was slow on uploading their new inventory over the last two months to the online store (I was waiting for the Athearn Genesis ES44AC's to show up).  They look to be back on track now after they shut down the website all last week to clean house and do the 2020 inventory count (B&M was closed too).  They've been adding new arrivals almost daily now and the online inventory went way up after the reset.

Cheers,
Brian
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 01:38:03 PM »
Not an expert here, but I thought Scale Trains reverted to direct sales only.  Last weekend they announced their acquisition of MTH HO scale and I think that they mentioned that they may reconsider their sales strategy and welcomed discussions with retail shops.  ST was involved in the virtual train shows last weekend with Train World and the Amherst Railway Society.

I will also mention that they discussed their experience with N scale.  Apparently, some of their early offerings were not a financial success, but they are committed to slowly and carefully building their N scale offerings.  I don't know if they were referring to the UP Turbine project.  That was a spectacular N scale project, but way out of my geographic area and era.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:42:35 PM by dougnelson »

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 02:43:54 PM »
Not an expert here, but I thought Scale Trains reverted to direct sales only.  Last weekend they announced their acquisition of MTH HO scale and I think that they mentioned that they may reconsider their sales strategy and welcomed discussions with retail shops.

They do a lot of direct sales, but they also have a good amount of retailer presence as well.  The discussion was on possibly expanding their retailer presence even more with the expanded line-up acquired from MTH, at least that's the way I took Shane's comments.  The link below will show you all the retail stores that carry ST's within a 500 mile radius of the zip code entered. 

https://www.scaletrains.com/select-retailer/

Cheers,
Brian

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
MBK has not carried ScaleTrains for many months. Scale Trains required customers with issues to contact them directly (instead of MBK) - so it might have been a logistical issue that drove this decision (speculation on my part).

FWIW, I bought my first few ScaleTrains models at MBK, but since then I have dealt directly with ST as the pricing isn't any different.

Mark

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 05:10:27 PM »
. . .
Few other shops that I know usually carry a good level of stock of HO and N:
Hiawatha Hobbies
Spring Creek Model Trains
Yankee Dabbler
White Rose Hobbies

Cheers,
Brian
Thank you Brian (and others).

Yes, I visited Scale Trains last night, and looked over that list of hobby shops that carry their product (MBK or Hogs was not on it, thus I started this thread).  My goal was not to have to start dealing with yet another online source of N scale trains, but it looks like it will be unavoidable.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:39:44 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 05:27:32 PM »
I preordered my next turbine directly from ST which is not something I usually do. But the price was fair and I could not locate their line on MBK.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »
I preordered my next turbine directly from ST which is not something I usually do. But the price was fair and I could not locate their line on MBK.

Well, all the preorders are now "sold out" in the Scale Trains website.  Seems kind of  silly to sell out preorders.   :| Just adjust your production run, dammit! I know, it is not that simple.  If I want one of those I'll have to either wait until the next run, or find a retailer that ordered enough to have spares.
. . . 42 . . .