Author Topic: ESU Announces V5 73199 Kato "K1" style, and new Nano Sound Decoders  (Read 12570 times)

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: ESU Announces V5 73199 Kato "K1" style, and new Nano Sound Decoders
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2021, 07:01:39 PM »
So, there are onboard LEDs and pads for the same functions so you can install remote LEDs with resistors if wanted.
My question is, if you use one or more of the pads for remote led w/resistor does the equivalent onboard led still work as well? :?
Or would it be that (using aux 1 as an example) be that the onbd led is aux 1 (1) and the equivalent pad for remote is aux 1 (2) and either would be switchable depending how you set up the decoder in lokprogrammer or JMRI?
 :?
Steve

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2021, 07:59:19 PM »
It would simply be wiring the two LEDs in parallel.  The function output will be able to handle without any problems.

There is no way to select between the two
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2021, 08:10:52 PM »
It would simply be wiring the two LEDs in parallel.  The function output will be able to handle without any problems.

There is no way to select between the two

Ok, thanks Rick
Steve

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2021, 11:03:31 PM »
+4
Matt Herman of ESU USA was on Trainworld's Live event Tuesday evening at 6PM EDT.  He talked about 90 minutes on various things.

I jotted down a few highlights.

LokSound V5 Nano

A small batch had been produced and sold only in Europe due to the few numbers.  Sold out quickly
    They are ready or producing more but production is hampered by chip supply issues.
    Uses a new small plug/socket they call the "E24".  Unfortunately no firm description nor part specification.  Matt has a photo he will try to get on the ESU website
    Hoping for delivery to US in "Mid Summer" (He's hoping July but can't guarantee it)

LokSound V5 DCC Direct with integrated PowerPack

Is a Nano on a motherboard.  The motherboard is produced, waiting on the Nano to be able to ship.
    HO sized like the "AT" motherboards.
    Due to dependence on Nano, also arriving "Mid Summer"

LokSound DCC Kato Japan

Fits several Kato steam locomotives
    Just received an order and is shipping to dealers
    Order big enough to cover backorders with a few extra.
    If you want one get it now. Matt didn't say but I expect it will be some months before another production run is done.

LokSound DCC Kato USA

Fits several Kato hood units - SD40-2, SD70, AC4400 mentioned.  Matt will be doing videos and/or install pictures on ESU website
    Currently in production but shipping is waiting on small rods used in the motor mount/contacts

LokSound FX

Sound and Lighting FX
    Can load any LS 5 sound file but motor related sounds won't play - no motor control
    Special FX specific sound files will be coming
    Suitable for caboose/cabin cars, stock cars, Commuter train Cab Control cars and more.
    15.5mm wide so may be too big for some N-Scale. Matt is pushing for a N-Scale version but no ETA (like probably not this year)

LokProgrammer hardware
    Just got a "huge" order of them in and are shipping out to distributors and hobby shops.

A part near the end was about speakers.  Either Matt is behind or else ESU bought a large supply since he mentioned that ESU's sugar cube speakers were Knowles brand.  He didn't mention any by name so I don't know if he's talking about the Fox, Dumbo, Grand or any others no longer available that were good speakers.

Matt talked about supply issues in the beginning.  Most due to COVID related part shortages.  Also said the Texas freeze affected them because the get significant parts from Texas Instruments in Texas and they were shut down due to the cold.  They are just now getting back up to speed and getting parts shipped.  Also parts shortages due to Chinese supplier shortages.  Parts orders that were placed up to 8 months previously have been cancelled and had to be re-orders. Sometimes with a 2-3 times price increase.  The MTC-21 pin decoders are constrained until June sometime due to parts shortages.

Matt said one thing good about the "lockdown" and quiet times is that they have gotten a lot of sound editing done, catching up on all the sounds recorded previously since they weren't out on the road recording more.  Their sound file guy in Germany is producing 4 or more new files per month.  They have also hired a second file guy.

That's all I can remember from my notes and listening while I worked.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

reinhardtjh

• Crew
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2021, 11:22:18 PM »
The LokSound 5 Micro DCC Kato USA must be getting closer.  The CAD drawing on the ESU product page has been replaced by a photo of an actual circuit board.  Or at least a better computer generated photo, although it looks like a photo to me.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:02:19 AM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2021, 11:56:57 PM »
The LokSound 5 Micro DCC Kato USA must be getting closer.  the CAD drawing on the ESU product page has been replaced by a photo of an actual circuit board.  Or at least a better computer generated photo, although it looks like a photo to me.

Saving up my zloty!

Ed

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2021, 12:28:14 AM »
+1
Great news!  I wonder if they will also sell a "dumbed down" LokPilot version?
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2021, 05:14:55 PM »
+1
Slipping in under the radar a bit (especially here since it's not really applicable to N Scale) is the LokSound V5 DCC Direct with integrated PowerPack is now in stock (currently 54 pieces) at Streamlined Backshops.  I looked an no other retailer has them listed as in stock as of yet but I imagine it won't be long.  I messaged Bryan and, unfortunately, still no sign of the regular Nano decoders.  However they are hopefully not far behind as this decoder is a Nano on a motherboard.

Is a Nano on a motherboard.  The motherboard is produced, waiting on the Nano to be able to ship.
    HO sized like the "AT" motherboards.
    Due to dependence on Nano, also arriving "Mid Summer"

As a tease, Bryan sent me a picture showing a LS5 Micro next to a LS5 Nano with the Next18 and an E24 connectors showing.  I'm hoping we can find a supplier for the E24 so that someone like Wutter can create a motherboard for Kato wide body units for easy equipping.  It appears to me that from the picture that ESU has put the socket on the Nano decoder whereas on the Micro the plug was on the decoder.  I don't know if that helps or not with the board height.

In case it's not obvious, LS5 Micro on the left, LS5 Nano on the right.

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2021, 11:01:35 PM »
That connector is like ones I see inside cell/smart phones and iPods.
. . . 42 . . .