Author Topic: Mini Spy Cam Recommendations  (Read 9376 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Mini Spy Cam Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 05:33:04 PM »
Replies #5 and #19.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »
Replies #5 and #19.

Thanks. Actually reply #5 has 2 links to 2 different cameras, but since yours has a gooseneck, I know which one it is.  Has anybody else tried the other camera mentioned in reply #5?

The 640x480 (VGA) resolution is the same as the camera I've been using. it is sufficient for live viewing, but I wonder if yours will have better quality wireless link (mine has some dropouts while traveling around the layout).
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 10:59:56 PM »
Here's a short video from the eBay WiFi camera I'm playing with. Obviously not on the layout (it's in the background, tho'), but it gives a good idea of the resolution. The specs say 1080p and I have no reason to doubt that. This is recorded over WiFi using VLC on a Raspberry Pi 400 - that's another discussion - and not from a memory card in the camera.

Not a valid vimeo URL
I have a few configuration tweaks to discover, such as how to eliminate the time stamp and change the frame rate to 30fps.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2021, 12:53:07 AM »
Here's a short video from the eBay WiFi camera I'm playing with. Obviously not on the layout (it's in the background, tho'), but it gives a good idea of the resolution. The specs say 1080p and I have no reason to doubt that. This is recorded over WiFi using VLC on a Raspberry Pi 400 - that's another discussion - and not from a memory card in the camera.

I have a few configuration tweaks to discover, such as how to eliminate the time stamp and change the frame rate to 30fps.

The video does look good Mike, but it was stationary.  The real test would be how stable the video signal is while the camera is traveling around the layout.  That is where the "warts" show up. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:54:51 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2021, 01:56:23 AM »
Yes, you're right, but bear in mind I'm using an enterprise-class hotspot which should have better signal compensation algorithms than standard consumer gear, including diversity antennas on each band. On the downside, the camera is 802.11b/g only and has nothing more than a circuit board trace for an antenna (I looked!). If it looks like it is jittery but real close, I'll fabricate an external antenna with a little bit of gain or maybe something with a more even radiation pattern. I used to do that sort of thing for fun and profit.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:17:23 AM by C855B »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2021, 05:02:11 AM »
Yes, you're right, but bear in mind I'm using an enterprise-class hotspot which should have better signal compensation algorithms than standard consumer gear, including diversity antennas on each band. On the downside, the camera is 802.11b/g only and has nothing more than a circuit board trace for an antenna (I looked!). If it looks like it is jittery but real close, I'll fabricate an external antenna with a little bit of gain or maybe something with a more even radiation pattern. I used to do that sort of thing for fun and profit.

Isn't a hot spot just a wireless router?  How could it "know" that the IP packets it is receiving actually contain live video data, and have the intelligence to actually synthetize the dropped packets?  None of the IP routers I have ever worked with have that kind of AI. If it could actually do that, it would be wonderful, but I suspects that it is just a "semi-intelligent" type of IP router.  The diversity antennas will be what makes the largest difference in minimizing dropouts.

One of my projects is to see if I can adapt the RC drone cameras (5.8GHz) to model trains.  The camera/transmitter combo is fairly small and cheap enough (about $15), and they also use diversity receivers (about $40).  It has wide angle lens and excellent DOF, but the lens is rather large (it actually looks like the automotive backup camera lens.  I"m really amazed just how inexpensive all this stuff is!

The camera you found has a nice pinhole-size lens (like the RF System Lab cameras I've been using up to this point).  That size lens is very easy to hide in the of a N scale locomotive.  I just ordered one of the cameras you are using. If this works out, I might ditch the RC drone camera project.
. . . 42 . . .

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »
The video does look good Mike, but it was stationary.  The real test would be how stable the video signal is while the camera is traveling around the layout.  That is where the "warts" show up.
That and depth of field, its critical to have close things in focus.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 12:40:08 PM »
That and depth of field, its critical to have close things in focus.

The pinhole-size lens (0.020" dia.) lens in the camera I currently use has a decent DOF, and it can be well hidden in a model.  The drone camera's lens, is huge compared to that.  I don't have it handy, but like I mentioned, it looks similar to automotive backup cameras.  About 3/8" (or bit larger) in diameter.  It will occupy a big chunk of the N scale loco's nose.

I love to surprise spectators at train shows when they try to find the camera in the train running around the NTRAK layout.  They are very surprised just how small and well-hidden it is.  While the video quality is just so-so (by today's standard), the small lens size is part of its appeal to me.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8040
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »
Every time I see this thread I'm reminded of how glad I am that the market for video of dudes taking a whiz is so small.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2021, 04:47:09 PM »
Every time I see this thread I'm reminded of how glad I am that the market for video of dudes taking a whiz is so small.

LOL! Since you brought it *UP*: That's what you think . . .  :trollface:  How about ladies taking a whiz?   :trollface: :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »
Here's my first test.

The resolution - although advertised as 1080P - is poor enough that I've returned the camera.  I know I can do better.

The size was flat car perfect, and the video was made within an hour of receipt.

Stay tuned!
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2021, 08:21:37 PM »
Here's my first test.

The resolution - although advertised as 1080P - is poor enough that I've returned the camera.  I know I can do better.

The size was flat car perfect, and the video was made within an hour of receipt.

Stay tuned!

That wasn't bad Jim. Was it recorded in the camera, or transmitted live?

Then there is the focus.  If the focus is adjustable, it would have to be adjusted so it gives you sharper image closer to the camera (background being blurry is not that noticeable).  I had to do that on my camera and it made a difference in the quality of the video.  In my camera the lens holder screws in and out to adjust the focus.
. . . 42 . . .

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
+1
I don’t think it’s the camera... I think it’s the lighting.

The section back in the corner seems to have much better lighting than the rest of the layout.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2021, 08:38:08 PM »
I don’t think it’s the camera... I think it’s the lighting.

The section back in the corner seems to have much better lighting than the rest of the layout.

Cameras nowadays are expected to work well, even in fairly low light situations.  Maybe there is a setting in the camera to turn up the brightness?
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2021, 11:37:30 PM »
The lighting is not right.  It's too dark which leads to graininess that often appears like loss of resolution.  Same effect on digital (still) cameras when a photo is underexposed.