Author Topic: Configuring DCC to DC help.  (Read 902 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
Configuring DCC to DC help.
« on: January 15, 2021, 12:30:49 PM »
I don't use DCC, but have a system to check locos with decoders of which I then sell/trade the decoders. I have a few locos that I either can't find analog boards for or don't want to rip apart (hard wired). I'd like to run them on DC. I own a Digitrax DCS 50. I have read that decoders can be configured for DC via CV29, but wouldn't have a clue how to do it. I haven't found idiot proof instructions on how to do it. Most use steps like: 1. First set the XYZ to Elephant mode, but they don't actually explain how (which buttons do you press). I am sure if I used DCC regularly that I would probably understand, but I think I would have a coronary before actually mastering it! So, is there a site or person with experience working with the DCC illiterate that can provide step by step instructions to configure my DCC locos so they will run on DC?

Any help would be much appreciated.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Configuring DCC to DC help.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »
By default, most (if not all) DCC decoders have CV29 already set up to enable DC operation.  That is the factory (or even decoder reset) default setting for CV29.

The specific setting (bit) is "Power Source".  Then CV12 specifies what alternate power source is used.
Specifically, it is CV29 bit 2, and then the contents of CV12.

Here is some reading material.
https://dccwiki.com/Configuration_Variable/Configuration_Register_CV29
https://www.dccguy.com/?p=5568 

I know, it is all black magic!    If the CV29 is set to 6 or to 4, and CV12 is set to 1, then the loco will operate in DC mode.  Factory-fresh decoder (or decoder which was reset to factory defaults) will have those settings already.  You should not have to do anything to run them on DC.  Have you actually even tried to do that?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:58:25 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

mecgp7

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:30 PM »
There are different decoders and none of them are factory. I know one is TSC. That is another issue with DCC. I don't see where they are identified.
I appreciate the articles, but they mean nothing. Chinese calculus to me. When I said idiot proof, I meant idiot. I really need a step by step starting with turn on the power.....

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 06:06:17 PM »
There are different decoders and none of them are factory. I know one is TSC. That is another issue with DCC. I don't see where they are identified.
I appreciate the articles, but they mean nothing. Chinese calculus to me. When I said idiot proof, I meant idiot. I really need a step by step starting with turn on the power.....

ANY DCC DECODER fresh from the factory should come with DC mode enabled from the factory.  Digitrax, NCE, TCS, ZIMO, ESU, MRC, and whatever I forgot to mention.  If the decoder is factory-fresh or has been reset to factory default, it should also run on DC.

Like I asked, have you tried to run any of your decoder-equipped locos on DC?  They should run.  If not, then you will have to be able to program at least 2 CVs: CV29 and CV12.  I already provided the values to be written on those CVs for enabling DC mode in my previous post.

I also think that you might resign yourself that it you want to dabble even tiny bit in configuring decoders (even if just to run them on DC), you might as well learn some DCC basics.

In case my last post was not clear, Set
CV29 to either 4 or 6
and CV12 to 1.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:08:12 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

mecgp7

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 07:16:12 AM »
Thanks. I didn't know that a reset should enable all decoders to run on DC. I have tried to run them on DC and there are those that won't. I do know how to reset them and tried that, but there is certainly the possibility (likelihood) that I didn't do it correctly. Will try again.
I have no desire to delve any further into DCC. After these locos, I shouldn't need to.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:04:21 PM by mecgp7 »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:10:15 PM »
Thanks. I didn't know that a reset should enable all decoders to run on DC. I have tried to run them on DC and there are those that won't.. I do know how to reset them.and tried that, but there is certainly the possibility (likelihood) that I didn't do it correctly. Will try again.
I have no desire to delve any further into DCC. After these locos, I shouldn't need to.

In my DCC experience, the analog (DC) mode is enabled by default when the decoders are shipped from the factory (and by the same token, when they are reset to factory defaults).  But I have not messed around with every decoder ever manufactured.  As you mentioned, maybe you did not perform a proper reset, or a possibility exists that those decoders do not have DC enabled in factory-fresh state.  One way to find out would be to read the values of those CVs I mentioned.  But since you are DCC-averse, that is not an option. You are flying blind.

Do you know what brand and model those misbehaving decoders are?

The other thing I like to mention is that even if you get all the decoders working on DC, you have to remember that unlike a "dumb" DC loco, those still have a mini-computer on the decoder board that is running the motor.  The decoder still uses its "brain" to supply the power to the motor.  So, it is still susceptible to losing its "mind" (CV values being corrupted, making the decoder misbehave) due to zaps from static electricity or track voltage spikes.  So it is possible that sometime in the future, you might have to "fix" (program, reset, or even replace if they get "bricked") the decoder in those locos to get them to run on DC again.
. . . 42 . . .

mecgp7

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 04:07:17 PM »
Success! Thanks Peteski. The last loco was a hold out, but I programmed it in CV29 for "4" and it worked.  I hear you on the expectation of future issues, but I just wanted to get them running now and will swap out decoders or complete chassis somewhere down the road.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 12:30:32 AM »
Success! Thanks Peteski. The last loco was a hold out, but I programmed it in CV29 for "4" and it worked.  I hear you on the expectation of future issues, but I just wanted to get them running now and will swap out decoders or complete chassis somewhere down the road.

I'm glad to hear it!  :)
. . . 42 . . .