Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/10/21  (Read 5784 times)

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: Weekend Update 1/10/21
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2021, 09:25:59 AM »
Dave, If you ever want to get rid of the shells let me know...Jim

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +6226
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2021, 10:26:26 AM »
+1
Just a quick note for @Dave V:  I went through Rico this year at the end of the summer.  I was surprised to see the water tower standing, pretty well restored/ preserved.  The rest of the area was pretty overgrown, like impassable, so it was hard to tell what had been where but the water tower was still very cool to see.   8)

When my father and I explored Rico a few years ago, I kind of already knew the layout of the yard by heart, but we also brought maps.  The railroad ties you saw in the mud on the way in to see the water tank belonged to the Rico house track behind the depot.  That track also eventually led to the Pro Patria Mill.  There was a small pile of debris just south of the water tank representing all that remains of the Rico depot.  The dense brush (well, now pretty much woods) to the southwest of the water tank is where the engine house sat.  Rumors abound that a piece of 30 lb rail was left behind.  I think if that's the case, it's still long gone, but tromping through the thickets we did find the concrete sill for the engine house wall and several bricks therefrom.  I brought home a small piece of brick to color match to my own model of the engine house.  I also brought home a few pounds of dirt from adjacent to the yard for the layout.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +3916
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 08:47:12 PM »
+14
I’ve done the best that I can do on this next roadway section.  It’s not great (definitely looks better from a distance), but I know when to walk away.  The patches are hiding the worst defects in my paint and weathering job.  The bridge and road sections will still get a coat of clear flat and overall weathering to do some final blending, but I want to call this project done soon and move on to another project.

More on the Seaboard Central 3.0 thread in the Layout Engineering Forum.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2781
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »
+4
I’ve done the best that I can do on this next roadway section.  It’s not great (definitely looks better from a distance), but I know when to walk away.  The patches are hiding the worst defects in my paint and weathering job.  The bridge and road sections will still get a coat of clear flat and overall weathering to do some final blending, but I want to call this project done soon and move on to another project.

What exactly is wrong with that road?  I don't see any problems. Looks like a photo of a "real" road taken from a drone (except for the unfinished scenery elsewhere in the photo).  The coloring looks just right to me.  The patches look realistic too. Usually photos bring out flaws in our models, but here I don't see any.  Maybe you are being too hard on yourself?
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +3916
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »
Thanks, Pete.  I appreciate that, but, seriously, it meets the three-foot rule and not much less.  The pictures were kind.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

cec209

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
+2
That road and bridge look pretty realistic to me Dave.
Charlie
Charlie

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +726
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2021, 11:51:06 PM »
I am almost hesitant to mention that I have 3 SD38 and 1 SD38AC shell by Mark4 Design. I got these to model BC Hydro Rail units, but don't know if I'll ever get to it.

Dave

MmmmmmmmBC Hydro you say? Not too many BCH modellers out there. I kitbashed my own BCH SD38 but it’s not quite done yet.

Craig.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1283
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 02:27:38 AM »
+2
Yea, don't sell yourself short, @davefoxx .  The road looks great to me.  I will be super pleased if my roads turn out like that.

Van Horne 1

• Respect: 0
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2021, 04:23:05 AM »
MmmmmmmmBC Hydro you say? Not too many BCH modellers out there. I kitbashed my own BCH SD38 but it’s not quite done yet.

Craig.ati
These will actually be SRY if I ever get to doing them.  I  have 3 SD38-2 shells and an SD38 shell, all with no dynamic brakes.  I also have the Kato SD40-2 and SD40s for the platforms. 
Sigh. Maybe one day.

Dave

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +73
    • IG
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2021, 07:49:07 AM »
@davefoxx the road looks good.
The only thing that makes it a tad odd though is the fresh stripes on the patches, at least where I live and traveled to, they won't re stripe new patches until they restripe the rest of the road.
...and maybe have a few cracks in the asphalt...
I'd say you have the color spot on honestly.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

larry p mahoning division

• Respect: +2
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
+1
We do what is called a 101G project. This project consists of milling bad sections of asphalt out and replacing with new asphalt. This is called asset management, to buy us more time until the next contract for full depth replacement. We have to stripe all edge and center lines that have been replaced with new asphalt. We also have replace stripes if they are missing 100 feet in length. The patches are very prototypical for Ohio.

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »
+3
Terraforming the last spray foam on my layout with joint compound and cement colors.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »
These will actually be SRY if I ever get to doing them.  I  have 3 SD38-2 shells and an SD38 shell, all with no dynamic brakes.  I also have the Kato SD40-2 and SD40s for the platforms. 
Sigh. Maybe one day.

Dave

Well I would sure love to see them if you find the time. It’s a seldom modelled railroad.

Here is my fleet so far:

I have factory painted yellow SW900 and MP15, with plans to do a yellow SD38AC, and a Yellow SD38-2. If you ever want to pass pics back and forth or chat for inspiration feel free to drop me a line.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:20:59 PM by craigolio1 »

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2021, 09:45:04 AM »
What exactly is wrong with that road?  I don't see any problems. Looks like a photo of a "real" road taken from a drone (except for the unfinished scenery elsewhere in the photo).  The coloring looks just right to me.  The patches look realistic too. Usually photos bring out flaws in our models, but here I don't see any.  Maybe you are being too hard on yourself?

Agreed!   @davefoxx ,I would like to know how to make my roads look just like this. Would you mind sharing?

Craig.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +1728
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2021, 09:46:47 AM »
BC Hydro Railway would be a very interesting railway to model.  I would love to see the "38s" done in yellow in N Scale.  I usually get a quick peek at those engines whenever i use the Queensborough Bridge en route to the ferries or the border (which of course hasn't been lately  :()

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca