Author Topic: Mike Danneman Original 5x7 DRGW Layout from 1996 -- where is it?  (Read 3802 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
Re: Mike Danneman Original 5x7 DRGW Layout from 1996 -- where is it?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 12:36:01 PM »
While the 5x7 was not integrated in the larger Moffat Road layout, yes, there was an article about how one might expand the layout.

There is also a great MRL track plan that he created for his brother, published in MR as well, but was never built.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 03:27:45 PM »
While the 5x7 was not integrated in the larger Moffat Road layout, yes, there was an article about how one might expand the layout.

Interesting, tho it would in some sense of be a bit of a sacrilege for anyone (other than Danneman himself) to substantively modify the layout.   The real challenge would be to build something as equally well done to connect to it.

Ed

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »
+1
Probably 20 years ago I visited my folks in Denver and my dad, also being an n scaler, took me to N Scale Supply so I could pick out my Christmas present/s.  We met Scott there and that layout straight out blew us away for being a perfect small form factor layout.  The sun shining thru the store windows added to effect as a freight slowly wound through the curves.  I live in a relatively small house and always thought it would be cool to have a layout like that for my 10x10 office.  We got a sweet deal on some Life-Like GP20s that day, I got three of them.  Good times!

-Mike

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 01:02:47 AM »
Interesting, tho it would in some sense of be a bit of a sacrilege for anyone (other than Danneman himself) to substantively modify the layout.   The real challenge would be to build something as equally well done to connect to it.

Ed

Well, if the MR digital discs didn't stop working on Mac I'd look it up... but I think it was just a one or two page article by Danneman with an idea for expansion.  Not something that was actually built (or caused modification to the original layout).

Same for the MRL small format layout... it was a 4-5 page article with some prototype photos and a gorgeous track plan. 

southernman

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
Well, if the MR digital discs didn't stop working on Mac I'd look it up... but I think it was just a one or two page article by Danneman with an idea for expansion.  Not something that was actually built (or caused modification to the original layout).

Same for the MRL small format layout... it was a 4-5 page article with some prototype photos and a gorgeous track plan.

I think that he did it at the request of whoever the editor at the time was.IIRC the issue was about bedroom sized layouts and he modified the plan as such.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 02:53:02 PM »

Ed

Would it be sacrilege?  I don’t know.  No layout lasts forever.  When I sold my N scale layout, I made it clear to the buyer that he could do whatever he wanted to that layout.  It’s his now, so I have no bad feelings if he were to completely change it up.  If I felt differently, I never would have sold it.  Sure, I can appreciate wanting to see a layout live on as remembered, but you’ll always have the memories and the magazine articles.  I think I’m all for the new owner making it his or her own.  It could become even better!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +707
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 04:28:48 PM »
Would it be sacrilege?  I don’t know.  No layout lasts forever.  When I sold my N scale layout, I made it clear to the buyer that he could do whatever he wanted to that layout.  It’s his now, so I have no bad feelings if he were to completely change it up.  If I felt differently, I never would have sold it.  Sure, I can appreciate wanting to see a layout live on as remembered, but you’ll always have the memories and the magazine articles.  I think I’m all for the new owner making it his or her own.  It could become even better!

DFF
MR ran an article, not long ago, about someone that had salvaged sections of John Armstrong's Canandaigua Southern and incorporated them into a new layout.