Author Topic: Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k  (Read 25200 times)

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
Re: Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 09:15:11 PM »
So you have a failed Photon @Chris333 ? Want to get rid of it? I'm curious about a few things and one is on upgradability.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 02:57:07 AM »
Chris I saw you ordered one of these Phrozen units, when do you expect it to arrive? I'm eyeballing a new larger printer and higher resolution would be a bonus as well as faster print times. I had been considering the new Photon Mono X but the slightly lower resolution is a bit of negative in my book. I'd be curious to see how the results look with the Phrozen

I ordered it on Jan 1st, that is all I know so far. The Phrozen is not much bigger than a Photon .7" longer and .4" wider.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 03:00:43 AM »
+1
So you have a failed Photon @Chris333 ? Want to get rid of it? I'm curious about a few things and one is on upgradability.

All that is left of it is the Z rail/motor and the motherboard. The motherboard is supposedly out of a PhotonS and I'd really like to keep the Z rail as a spare. The UV light in it had very little use so I put it in my old Photon I'm using now. Heck they are only $169 now. It is worth that just in spare parts.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 10:30:40 AM »
And the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K is $349.99 if you order it direct, plus $49 for shipping, so $399.99 You can get it on Amazon for $409 with free shipping so yet another example of how Amazon prices are not the lowest. 

But on the other had for the extra $10 Amazon might deliver it the next day on a Sunday.

There were 14 in stock on Amazon last night. Today they are out and "we don't know when this will be available again".  Phrozen doesn't say they are out of stock but "After payment, Sonic Mini 4K will ship within 3~4 weeks."

https://phrozen3d.com/products/sonic-mini-4k-resin-3d-printer-phrozen#shipping-tariff

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Chris333

• Crew

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 08:09:55 PM »
+1
Resin printer calibration.  This is very relevant to our interests.

Tim Watson

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »
Another very detailed comparison of the SM4k.

https://imgur.com/a/lWhD6Hl
https://i.redd.it/ue4vupa393s51.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:10:20 PM by timwatson »
Tim Watson

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »
Resin printer calibration.  This is very relevant to our interests.

wow that is cool. I expect parts to grow a little bit and for what I'm doing it really doesn't matter. But that video explains why and is worth looking into.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 02:01:23 AM »
wow that is cool. I expect parts to grow a little bit and for what I'm doing it really doesn't matter. But that video explains why and is worth looking into.

YES!  Worth a look.  And I suspect it be interesting to @Lemosteam.  We had discussions about this. :)
Mark G.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 03:32:31 AM »
YES!  Worth a look.  And I suspect it be interesting to @Lemosteam.  We had discussions about this. :)

I am curious if John has softened his stance on the consumer 3D machines.
I think what @GaryHinshaw has shown in his brief experience with the Photon and the precise fit he's already seen in his parts for the KATO Maxi-Stack and his coupler pockets in such a short time is a big lean toward rolling your own?
There's a lot to be gained from tweaking your designs and re-printing new ones based on relatively quick revisions verses a 3-4 week wait from a secondary vendor.
I may be crucified for this...I really have a profound respect for the designs that John creates but I think the output from Shapeways still looks a little marshmallowy compared to the more recent outputs I've seen from Tony, Chris, Mark or Gary using their Photons.
I'd like to see a comparison of John's recent Pennsylvania Cab, Firebox, Tender and Stack designs printed on a Photon verses what Shapeways can offer.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4610
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 05:53:20 AM »

I am curious if John has softened his stance on the consumer 3D machines.
. . .

I may be crucified for this...I really have a profound respect for the designs that John creates but I think the output from Shapeways still looks a little marshmallowy compared to the more recent outputs I've seen from Tony, Chris, Mark or Gary using their Photons.
I'd like to see a comparison of John's recent Pennsylvania Cab, Firebox, Tender and Stack designs printed on a Photon verses what Shapeways can offer.

I might as well get nailed to that cross with you because I agree 100%.  FUD/FXD (or whatever they are callde nowadays) just don't seem to cut it compared to the quality of SLA prints.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2021, 06:12:13 AM »
I think John just doesn't want to deal with the mess.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
+3
Diatribe removed so as not to detract from a Gary’s splendid work.

Sincerest apologies.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:46:42 PM by Lemosteam »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
+1
I don't really see an either/or debate here.  I think the choice of technology depends on what your application is and what suits your work flow.  In my case - at least in the short term - I am primarily interested in small functional parts that help me improve the standardization and reliability of my models without degrading their appearance.  In almost all cases, my are parts designed to fit on existing models where design tweaks and improvements are going to be inevitable as the part develops, so a fast turnaround is very helpful.  I might feel differently if I were to design a new model from scratch, where the designer controls everything and the build footprint is much larger.

I can't really comment on Shapeways since the only parts I have purchased from them were printed 4-5 years ago.  At the time they were fairly crude, but that could have easily changed.   That said, I love the concept of a 3rd-party that is willing to handle the actual printing and distribution of parts & models to the community, regardless of technology.  I'm certainly not able to do that myself.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 03:03:24 PM »
I think my printing would loose it's fun if I was spending most of the time washing a prepping prints for other people. On the other hand I am starting to really hate Shapeways, even just visiting their slow site. So it would be ideal if a 3rd party company would use resin printers that were dialed in would print other folks designs and send them off to customers.