Author Topic: Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k  (Read 25214 times)

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
Re: Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »
Hate to say it but you have alrteady turned it into another hobby. LOL

I'm much more guilty of this than Jeff is.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2021, 12:52:28 AM »
I just bought a 8x8" aluminum 1/4" thick plate. 7.25 square with the corners rounded will fit inside the plastic base. Of course I will have to notch out a space for the screen. I will use the already longer Photon stepper motor screws to go thru the plate. And if you look at the circuit board that mounts to the plastic base. It can be spaced out further if need to clear the new plate. The holes in the plastic base for the memory stick, power switch, and DC power might need to opened further if the board is spaced out. Might not need to be done though the plate should fit fine.

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
I just bought a 8x8" aluminum 1/4" thick plate. 7.25 square with the corners rounded will fit inside the plastic base. Of course I will have to notch out a space for the screen. I will use the already longer Photon stepper motor screws to go thru the plate. And if you look at the circuit board that mounts to the plastic base. It can be spaced out further if need to clear the new plate. The holes in the plastic base for the memory stick, power switch, and DC power might need to opened further if the board is spaced out. Might not need to be done though the plate should fit fine.

That’s exciting. Are you going to mill it? Did you notice the front and back corner radius were different? Oh one more question did you find glass for under the screen? I think @JeffB had found some.
Tim Watson

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »
+1
I'm not milling a whole new base. I'm making a brace to fit under the base. I can be a little bit sloppy and still have it fit and never be seen. So I don't need new glass. But yeah probably just to make it easier I will mill all the cuts. It is a manual mill with X and Y dials so it won't be anything special.

Jeff probably figured out how to laser cut glass  :P

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »

He uses high pressure water jet for that.  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2021, 06:31:16 PM »
I'm not milling a whole new base. I'm making a brace to fit under the base. I can be a little bit sloppy and still have it fit and never be seen. So I don't need new glass. But yeah probably just to make it easier I will mill all the cuts. It is a manual mill with X and Y dials so it won't be anything special.

AhhI see mill a new stiffener that’s good. Will you screw it to the top from above or underneath?
Tim Watson

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »
Above and countersunk. 1/4" is 6.35mm plus the stock 5mm gets close to the Photon's 12mm.

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
+2

That’s exciting. Are you going to mill it? Did you notice the front and back corner radius were different? Oh one more question did you find glass for under the screen? I think @JeffB had found some.

I found a company online that offered sub-2mm thick glass, custom cut to size.  I inquired about getting two pieces of 1.2mm thick glass cut to the size that would fit the Mini-4K, but the company has yet to reply. 

Doesn't matter at this point, I've decided to use a shim around the screen.

He uses high pressure water jet for that.  ;)

There are certain lasers that cut glass, quite well at that, but we don't have that type of laser in the lab any longer.

Hate to say it but you have alrteady turned it into another hobby. LOL

I don't mind short or minor branching out from my main hobby interests, but you could make building your own machines a whole different hobby!  :)

I hope to get my Mini-4K back together this weekend.  The shim stock arrived yesterday.  I'll put the machine back together tonight and cut the shim this weekend.  Hope to get a test print out of it soon.

Jeff

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2021, 07:25:55 PM »
Try the z-axis STL print Phrozen sends for troubleshooting @JeffB
After you do a resin calibration that is.

I'm excited to see how you handle it the stiffener base @Chris333 I'm starting to run out of ideas and I need others to lend me for some inspiration.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:55:54 PM by timwatson »
Tim Watson

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
Jeff,

So you are trying to put thinner glass in the stock base so the LCD will sit flush?  Or are you making a whole new base?

https://all3dp.com/2/how-to-use-a-laser-to-cut-glass/
Seems like it depends on the type of glass you use.

What is the purpose of the glass anyways, just to support the screen from flexing?

Tim,

After I double up my base I'll do a test run and see how bad the rail flex is.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2021, 06:53:33 AM »
Here is a rough sketch of what I want to do with the 1/4" plate. The red marks would be screws to join the two plates. These along with the Z rail and stepper motor screws.

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2021, 08:15:38 AM »
Here is a rough sketch of what I want to do with the 1/4" plate. The red marks would be screws to join the two plates. These along with the Z rail and stepper motor screws.

Yeh this is good. It should help a lot. Definitely looking forward to your results.
Tim Watson

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2021, 06:22:16 PM »
I have finally got it to stop leaning!!!!! ANDDDDD the most plumb prints yet (see 3rd image).

The final fix is likely the gusset plate that sits at the base but I also strengthened the bracket by turning it around 180 and having it slide into a slot. This makes the back edge of the entire shiny bracket rigid. I'm feeling really good about this iteration.

The lip the build plate bracket slides into.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Look ma' no lean (or not much anyway)

The whole thing currently.

I also installed a Noctua fan at the back that makes a big difference on noise (used a zener diode to drop the voltage).
Tim Watson

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2021, 06:39:55 PM »
So the rail doesn't flex when pulling away from the FEP?

What type of resin is the head made of that it is so strong?

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
So the rail doesn't flex when pulling away from the FEP?

What type of resin is the head made of that it is so strong?

It does flex some on the peel force but it doesn’t flex backwards when going into the vat and hitting the fep. This was also the very first print so it’s got no tweaking done. This was a really good sign.

The current arm (in the picts) is made out of PLA on my FDM printer. My photon is not in great shape and the fdm machine was the only real option. I think I have it engineered to be strong. This has been a long time coming. I will film it releasing so you can see it.

I think with your new bottom base you will see the same rigidity.
Tim Watson