Author Topic: UPRR Geneva Sub is being dismantled!!  (Read 5047 times)

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: UPRR Geneva Sub is being dismantled!!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 02:50:20 PM »
I hope Daryl bring pack the operational side of the BNSF mains in Rochelle like he had on the first version. I liked seeing BNSF freight impacting the UP side of the diamonds.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 03:09:31 PM »
I've always admired Daryl's work.  I grew up in that area, and he captured the whole Rochelle area very well.  Hopefully the layout survives the move in good condition.  I doubt I would have the energy for it at this point.

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 12:11:05 PM »
Went house hunting right before xmas. The top contender so far is perfect upstairs, but only a partial basement downstairs.  If we go this route, I will likely chuck the old layout and start fresh... in HO. 

Daryl
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 12:21:35 PM by rochsub »

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »
+1
Went house hunting right before xmas. The top contender so far is perfect upstairs, but only a partial basement downstairs.  If we go this route, I will likely chuck the old layout and start fresh... in HO. 
Daryl
Oh Nooooo... Daryl, can't you find a perfect basement and a partially perfect upstairs?

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 01:18:11 AM »
Man, I feel like this thread is my spirit animal...
1. I'm from Texas.  Austin is now almost the antithesis of Texas, but there is *some* truth to all of the aforementions.   Austin used to be a "hippy cool" place, but jumped the shark about 15 years ago.   Now it's a sad, lost place with insurmountable traffic issues and a bunch of other problems.  :scared:  I live in Dallas...traffic is "better", but you pay for that privilege.   Quality of life is very good though, IMHO.  Both have a crap ton of jobs, but accordingly rising taxes/cost of living as everyone vies for houses.  Very few basements though.  You either have to buy a McMansion with a "great room" or commute and go rural. (ranch style with a finished barn workshop/layout room, or giant barndominium)   Now that the world has officially shown we can work from home, I'm thinking our next move is choice B.
2. My son lives near Rockford, IL.  So I frequent the area including Rochelle and yes I do try to stop in and railfan there when I can.  It never disappoints.   :drool:
3. I too have stalked followed Daryl...way back from the KC layout.   8)   I was uber excited in hopes of someday visiting the first Illinois-based Rochelle Sub and had my dreams crushed those 8-9 years ago.   Now (and yes I know it will likely be somewhat more of a trip from Rochelle proper) I hope to be able to visit the new IL version upon its reincarnation.  I will be sad if it doesn't survive the move....that's such typical 2020 news.   :RUEffinKiddingMe:   The reality is, the layout lives on in some outstanding videos and articles so I can probably sleep at night if that happens.   :|
Doug

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 02:45:15 AM »
+1
   The reality is, the layout lives on in some outstanding videos and articles so I can probably sleep at night if that happens.   :|

Or, like in my current situation,  posting at 244am est, you can't sleep at night you have videos to watch   :facepalm:

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »
Or, like in my current situation,  posting at 244am est, you can't sleep at night you have videos to watch   :facepalm:

I feel your pain.  I was up until 4:30 a.m. this morning.  Might as well just stay up!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 03:00:04 PM »
Been there, done that. 
Best wishes, Daryl, whatever the outcome.
I always try look forward to what's next.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
/>
Watch the video for the answer

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »
HO'er!
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

RSWController

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 08:04:02 PM »
Congrats on your new modeling adventure. Let me be the first to say I would be interested in purchasing your Mississippi River Bridge. I live in the south suburbs of Atlanta so if you are interested I would make a run up to the north side to pick it up and make sure it survives on a new layout.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 09:33:27 PM »
HO'er!

"We are HOers.  Resistance is futile.  Your life, as it has been, is over.  From this time forward, you will service us.  We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."

Sincerely,
The HO Borg

:D :D :D

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 10:03:18 PM »
+1
"We are HOers.  Resistance is futile.  Your life, as it has been, is over.  From this time forward, you will service us.  We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."

Sincerely,
The HO Borg

:D :D :D

You've not taken all of us !  @Rivet Miscounter went the other direction, got out of N scale and went to Z :D

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2021, 04:36:30 AM »
While I think it's sad to see it go to the dumpster .. I think changing scales at a later stage of life will also force a more focused effort .. and maybe also less costly

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »
Congrats on your new modeling adventure. Let me be the first to say I would be interested in purchasing your Mississippi River Bridge. I live in the south suburbs of Atlanta so if you are interested I would make a run up to the north side to pick it up and make sure it survives on a new layout.

The Mississippi River Bridge section is probably the easiest to transfer to a new layout.  I have no idea how much to ask for it.  I have thought about keeping it and displaying it in the new train room for nostalgia purposes.  The rest of the sections will be scavenged for turnouts, switch motors, electronics, etc.  I think I would get much more for these items than I would for the sections.

Funny, I've always been anti HOer's and now I am joining the dark side.  On the other hand, I think over 50 years in N scale is enough.  A new scale will keep the interest level high.  I do plan to do both modern and transition era.  So should be fun.

Daryl