Author Topic: New Atlas RS-1 vs. Atlas RS-2  (Read 8744 times)

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
New Atlas RS-1 vs. Atlas RS-2
« on: December 19, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
 :?  Atlas once again made tempting N scale first-generation locomotives, this time the NEW (2019 and 2020 made) Alco RS-1 and RS-2.  Both are available in road names of interest (ATSF or Frisco).  I use analog DC power, that being MRC Tech4 and Tech2, so DCC friendly is not a requirement.  The Alco RS-1 probably is updated from the earlier offering, but is it really the same?  The Alco RS-2 is Atlas' version of the Walthers / LifeLike, but does it has improved electrical pickup?  Does anyone own either of these NEW Atlas products?  If so, how well do they run?  If you own the earlier China-made Atlas RS-3 or RSD-4/5, using DC, how well do the NEW units play with the older Atlas Classic units speed wise? 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 02:14:55 PM by GaryHinshaw »

gbcaboose

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
Re: New Atlas RS-1 vs. Atlas RS-2
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »
I can't really compare new to old, but I have a pair or the Walthers RS2's and really like them. I've never had any issues whatsoever. They run as good or better than my Atlas RS1's and 3's.

Mike

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 12:06:05 PM »
I have the RS-2 on order with MBK. Just waiting on them to ship it.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
 :)  Alco RS diesel road switchers can be habit forming.  Several years ago, I obtained a previously-owned RS-3 and RSD-4/5 Atlas Classic / China units. The oldest Atlas RS-4/5 (in SP tiger stripes) had rapido couplers and runs faster and some gear whine (Atlas #5294).  The newer CP Rail RS-3 runs great (Atlas #42029).  May 2020, I noted Fifer Hobby listed a new ATSF zebra stripe RSD 4/5 (Atlas #40 033 055 from August 2016).  I ordered it and noted that Mike Fifer tested it before mailing it.  It runs great and is now one of my very favorite locomotives.  Here are photos of it running on my modest layout:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:10:04 PM by Albert in N »

PC Rail

• Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 06:48:33 PM »
I know what you mean, I have maybe 10 or 11 RS2's and 3's in various New Haven  colors. Neat little road switcher

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »
Need them to make it with Loksound!
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
I was supposed to get a couple in the mail today, but I got a message that it'll be Monday, unless of course it gets moved to Des Moines or something (I wish that wasn't based on recent experience).

I was in contact with Atlas over the CGW units when they were announced.  Two of the road numbers they had were never painted in to the red/black scheme so they changed the numbers.  Then to make thing more difficult, one of the units had a different size Lucky Strike.

I actually don't know what I'm getting because the only pre-production models shown is #52 which is supposed to have the large small LS, but is being sold with the smaller larger one. I'm assuming all the units released with have the smaller logo, which will be correct for the two numbers I ordered.

Got the above a bit backwards. The preproduction #52 showed a large logo which would be incorrect.   Thanks Lucas.

Jason
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:22:07 AM by wcfn100 »

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »
I would really like some RS-1's and RS-2's and will be anxious to hear the reports on these.  The RS-2's are available w/o sound for doing your own installs and the RS-1 has no sound option but I'll be anxious to see/ hear what the RS-2 factory sound is like. 8)

Wasn't going to mention it yet but I've got six B'mann RS-3's that I've just started planning (literally last night) to install Loksound Select Direct Micro boards.  The working space dimensions should be very similar so I expect these new Atlas models could be done fairly easily, too.   8)

Mark G.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 04:04:49 AM »
Albert,  Spookshow (Mark) reviews all the new (and old) locomotives.  If the new one has any changes from the last run, he will likely update the appropriate entry on his site.

http://spookshow.net/loco/kators1.html
http://spookshow.net/loco/kators.html
http://spookshow.net/loco/llrs2.html
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 06:41:41 AM »
Since the RS-1 still isn't DCC-Ready, I'm assuming it hasn't changed from previous runs (consequently, I didn't order one). I did order one of the new RS-2's, but evidently the undec units did not arrive with this first batch.

-Mark

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 09:04:42 AM »
+1
I was supposed to get a couple in the mail today, but I got a message that it'll be Monday, unless of course it gets moved to Des Moines or something (I wish that wasn't based on recent experience).

I was in contact with Atlas over the CGW units when they were announced.  Two of the road numbers they had were never painted in to the red/black scheme so they changed the numbers.  Then to make thing more difficult, one of the units had a different size Lucky Strike.

I actually don't know what I'm getting because the only pre-production models shown is #52 which is supposed to have the large LS, but is being sold with the smaller one. I'm assuming all the units released with have the smaller logo, which will be correct for the two numbers I ordered.

Jason

@wcfn100 Jason, I can't say I'm familiar with this topic but it appears 52 has the smaller logo and 51 the larger?

52: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=610316
51: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=108363

Here is the 52 I picked up last week at the hobby shop, at a glance it appears to be the smaller. Comparing it to the images above it appears to be the smaller logo. The logo is a hair under an 1/8", so about 20" in N.

I went with the 52 because I knew it was in the red/black scheme, and remembered Atlas had the numbers wrong initially. I just learned about the 51 (and the logo difference) today  :)

There should still be a 51 in stock at the shop that I can check next weekend, unless yours arrive sooner than that.

Again, I could be mistaken about this. Hope it is of some help,

Lucas

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

Here is the 52 I picked up last week at the hobby shop, at a glance it appears to be the smaller. Comparing it to the images above it appears to be the smaller logo. The logo is a hair under an 1/8", so about 20" in N.

Thanks @milw12 , I corrected my post.

Well that's great because that means they changed it from the pre-production which had the large logo.

Fingers crossed that the #50 and #51 have the correct large logo. 

Jason
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:20:42 AM by wcfn100 »

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »
Here is the 52 I picked up last week at the hobby shop, ...

Looks like it still uses the contact strips that ride on top of tabs on the trucks instead of the wired trucks used on the latest Atlas locos.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
+1
So I just got a Sunday delivery...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

So kudoz to Atlas for being willing and able to produce an obscure RR like the CGW with a paint variation like this.  I was so pleased I went ahead and ordered a #52.

On to the the S-2.  :)

Jason

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »

So kudoz to Atlas for being willing and able to produce an obscure RR like the CGW with a paint variation like this.  I was so pleased I went ahead and ordered a #52.

If they'd like to produce the even more obscure Chicago and Western Indiana RS-1, I would be very grateful.  Trying to get all the stripes on in the right places without things going wonky is proving a greater challenge to my skills than I anticipated.  Maybe in the first round of decoder equipped RS-1s?  (a DCC RS-1 has to come along someday, right?)
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.