Author Topic: New Atlas RS-1 vs. Atlas RS-2  (Read 8746 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: New Atlas RS-1 vs. Atlas RS-2
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2020, 11:36:20 AM »
You might be able to observe the phenomenon using a 9V battery.  Hold the loco in your hand and power the loco by touching the battery terminals to the wheels. At the instant you pull the battery away, you should be able to see a brief flash of the back headlight.

If I can find a 9v battery not in a smoke detector I will try that this weekend!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2020, 05:06:16 PM »
If I can find a 9v battery not in a smoke detector I will try that this weekend!

I always have at least 1 hanging around on my work bench for quick testing locos and other electric stuff.  The terminal spacing is perfect for N scale (and probably H0 too) locos.

And of course, Digitrax users (I know you're not) have batteries of 9V batteries everywhere for their throttles.  :D

Using the battery, you will only see one very brief flash just as the power is interrupted.  If it is flickering on the track then it shows you how many places on the track or wheel treads have enough dirt to cause the loco to fully lose connection with the track power for few milliseconds.
. . . 42 . . .

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »
 :)  Man, those Atlas RS-2s sold fast!  After your good reports on them (except for the one lemon that owner repaired), today I ordered one in Frisco black and DCC ready (I run DC only).  Today, I noted that ModelTrainStuff had already sold out, TrainWorld had only DCC version, and Fifer Hobby showed still available (my order there is pending).  From the AtlasRR site, they have sold most of their entire run and say to check with dealers.  Also, AtlasRR shows no RS-1s available so maybe they are done unless rerun at a later date. 

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »
:)  Man, those Atlas RS-2s sold fast!  After your good reports on them (except for the one lemon that owner repaired), today I ordered one in Frisco black and DCC ready (I run DC only).  Today, I noted that ModelTrainStuff had already sold out, TrainWorld had only DCC version, and Fifer Hobby showed still available (my order there is pending).  From the AtlasRR site, they have sold most of their entire run and say to check with dealers.  Also, AtlasRR shows no RS-1s available so maybe they are done unless rerun at a later date.

It is those limited runs manufacturers do nowadays.  Back in the day, the Atlas/Kato RS3s and 11s used to fester in hobby shops for years.  But they probably made 10 times as many as what they make in each run today. Plus those were made in Japan.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2020, 07:13:54 PM »
Once they hit the shelves you gotta decide quick if you want one.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »
And meanwhile, the undec RS-2s are delayed until the next container.  Hoping they actually show!
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2021, 07:18:13 AM »
Any guesses as to why the copyright date stamped on the fuel tank would be 1996?

That one's got me stumped  :?

-Mark

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2021, 10:28:47 AM »
Any guesses as to why the copyright date stamped on the fuel tank would be 1996?

That one's got me stumped  :?

-Mark
I think that is the copyright date for that particular design. My GP-7s are stamped 1998 and the H-16-44s stamped 2002. And while the tooling may have been updated since, no one re-cut the logo. The most recent one I checked was an RS-1 from a few years back (not current run, but maybe 5 years ago?) and it has no date.   Some Atlas frame parts, IIRC, are also stamped 1996 (or other dates (although without logo or other text).

The original Atlas and Life Like frames were quite similar (I think I read that on your website, in fact) and maybe the tanks were interchangeable- replacing the Life Like tooling (with a Life-Like logo?) with their own old tooling for the same part would be a thrifty way to get the Atlas logo on the (formerly LL) locomotive.

EDIT: I should always check the source first.  On the Spookshow site, the Life-Like frame is compared to the Kato frame, not the Atlas. However, since it appears that all of three frames share a common ancestry from the Atlas-Kato RS units, I think my supposition about interchangeable parts may still hold. I have some RS-1s with Atlas Kato hoods and cabs mixed with Atlas China sills, walkways and railings.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:42:35 AM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2021, 03:38:41 PM »
In a side-by-side comparison, it's clearly the same part that used to have the Life-Like Proto logo stamped on it. I just can't figure out why they'd put 1996 on it when they changed the logo to Atlas. If they're going by design date, it should say 2007.

The Atlas RS-1 and RS-3 fuel tanks and the Kato RS-2 fuel tank are all different parts entirely. Or at the least the ones I have are.

-Mark
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:44:57 PM by spookshow »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2021, 03:40:04 PM »
Yes, if a newly released models (even if it had some modifications or new parts added) still utilized parts which were made for earlier model,  they will not re-cut the older molds with a newer copyright text. So I venture a guess that the plastic fuel tank on the new model is the same they made for the model in 1996.

I would also venture a guess that even if some portions of that tank's mold had to be modified for the new model, they didn't bother changing the copyright. The engraved lettering woudl have to be filled with metal, then re-cut, or the lettering are woudl have to be machined out, and a plug with new lettering installed.  That is extra labor and extra cost - not worth the trouble.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2021, 03:42:32 PM »
In a side-by-side comparison, it's clearly the same part that used to have the Life-Like Proto logo stamped on it. I just can't figure out why they'd put 1996 on it when they changed the logo to Atlas.

The Atlas RS-1 and RS-3 fuel tanks and the Kato RS-2 fuel tank are all different parts entirely. Or at the least the ones I have are.

-Mark

I guess I didn't not understand your question (I'm not as well versed in various versions of the models as you are).  Is it possible that they are using Atlas part instead of Life-Like/Walthers part?  Maybe those were interchangeable between Atlas and LL/Walthers models?

Also, do you know what date was on the original Life-Like release of this loco?  Maybe it was 1996?
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
Atlas RS-1 and RS-3 fuel tanks are not the same part as the one on this RS-2 (different sizes and shapes). The LL/Walthers RS-2 came out in 2007, so 1996 doesn't make any sense for that. FWIW, there was no date on the fuel tank back when LL/Walthers was making them - just a Proto logo and "Made in China".

-Mark

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »
Atlas RS-1 and RS-3 fuel tanks are not the same part as the one on this RS-2 (different sizes and shapes). The LL/Walthers RS-2 came out in 2007, so 1996 doesn't make any sense for that. FWIW, there was no date on the fuel tank back when LL/Walthers was making them - just a Proto logo and "Made in China".

-Mark

Allrigthy then - you're right - this is puzzling.  Maybe @Atlas Paul  could humor us and find the answer for this oddity. Not that it makes much difference either way, but it sure is interesting.
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2021, 09:31:03 PM »
I got my DCC version today and unfortunately, I was disappointed.  I noticed the walkway was heavily bowed so I tried to take off the shell to much resistance.  It took a long time working the shell to finally remove the chassis, but without the DCC board.  :x  Turns out, the motor tabs make the board too wide for the shell, making it bow out and causing the board to stick inside the shell.

I'm worried I ruined the board, but maybe I'll get lucky.  I'm going to try and resolder the motor tabs, fingers crossed.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:33:58 PM by wcfn100 »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2021, 09:35:37 PM »
I got my DCC version today and unfortunately, I was disappointed.  I noticed the walkway was heavily bowed so I tried to take off the shell to much resistance.  It took a long time working the shell to finally remove the chassis, but without the DCC board.  :x  Turns out, the motor tabs make the board too wide for the shell, making it bow out and causing the board to stick inside the shell.

I'm worried I ruined the board, but maybe I'll get lucky.  I'm going to try and resolder the motor tabs, fingers crossed.

Jason

Is this it (from Spookshow's site)?

http://spookshow.net/loco/llrs2.html

Looks like the electrical tape will also make shell removal more difficult.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:40:45 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .