Author Topic: Checking in and saying Hi from UK  (Read 784 times)

MartinF

• Respect: +1
Checking in and saying Hi from UK
« on: December 14, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
+1
Just realised I hadnt checked in and said my hellos and introduction .I live in the UK and am trying to get an H0n3 layout up and running  as well as my H0 standard gauge SP layout . I have some brass locos and did custom paint many H0o3 locos and rolling stock in the 70's 80's .I also sculpted the master patterns for Junes Small World figures that were around then  and sometimes featured in the Gazette .On here to look and learn and sniff out whats what  .Everything is twice the price of the US after mail costs and the revenoo men have stolen my money .Our post office charge about 10 dollars just to hand a parcel from the US  to our customs even on small parts .
Thanks for accepting me .
Martin

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
Re: Checking in and saying Hi from UK
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:03:13 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Although the Railwire is perhaps best known as a cadre of exceptional N scale modelers, there are a growing number of us working in HOn3 like you.  My main modeling effort is a 12 x 14 foot (imperial units of course!) HOn3 model of the Rio Grande Southern, with my secondary layout being an N scale caricature of the standard-gauge Colorado Midland Railway.

I know you've been in HOn3 for a very long time, but I have to mention that if you're getting a layout going and not looking to hand-lay your track, check out Peco's line of North American HOn3 track.  Their Unifrog turnouts are about the best thing going.  The vast majority of turnouts I'm using on the RGS are Peco #5s.  Hopefully you can find them in the UK since they'remade there, LOL.  Also, Blackstone's engines are getting ever harder to find, but you will never have a better-running locomotive than a Blackstone C-19 or K-27.  Time was I could pick them up for around $400 US, but those days are mostly behind us.

Still, there are lots of exciting things happening in HOn3 these days, including the resurrection of the Grandt Line product line by San Juan Models.  3D printing has made the lesser-known narrow gauge roads easier to model as well.  All-in-all it's a great time to be in HOn3.

We look forward to seeing your layout take shape!  May I also recommend that you start a thread in our Layout Engineering Report forum?  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=20.0

You can share progress, solicit inputs, socialize design and techniques, and document the thing start to finish.

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
Re: Checking in and saying Hi from UK
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Although the Railwire is perhaps best known as a cadre of exceptional N scale modelers, there are a growing number of us working in HOn3 like you.  My main modeling effort is a 12 x 14 foot (imperial units of course!) HOn3 model of the Rio Grande Southern, with my secondary layout being an N scale caricature of the standard-gauge Colorado Midland Railway.

I know you've been in HOn3 for a very long time, but I have to mention that if you're getting a layout going and not looking to hand-lay your track, check out Peco's line of North American HOn3 track.  Their Unifrog turnouts are about the best thing going.  The vast majority of turnouts I'm using on the RGS are Peco #5s.  Hopefully you can find them in the UK since they'remade there, LOL.  Also, Blackstone's engines are getting ever harder to find, but you will never have a better-running locomotive than a Blackstone C-19 or K-27.  Time was I could pick them up for around $400 US, but those days are mostly behind us.

Still, there are lots of exciting things happening in HOn3 these days, including the resurrection of the Grandt Line product line by San Juan Models.  3D printing has made the lesser-known narrow gauge roads easier to model as well.  All-in-all it's a great time to be in HOn3.

We look forward to seeing your layout take shape!  May I also recommend that you start a thread in our Layout Engineering Report forum?  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=20.0

You can share progress, solicit inputs, socialize design and techniques, and document the thing start to finish.

What Dave said...

I'm also modeling the Rio Grande Southern although a lot slower than Dave.  If there is anything I can help you with, like obtaining pieces/parts, don't hesitate to ask and welcome aboard.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.