Author Topic: Fast Tracks “diamond line”  (Read 4186 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Fast Tracks “diamond line”
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
+1
@robert3985 has a fail-safe method for attaching his handlaid points to the throwbar. He has documented it on the Railwire few times.  And as others have said, there is no need to make points separate from closure rails. Just file notches in the foot of the rail. That will create a solid "hinge" which will flex enough to allow for the points to move.
. . . 42 . . .

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 08:52:04 AM »
The first release in HO is posted: 90° crossings start at $54.95 for a single and go to $219.80 for a "quad."
HO 30° and an N scale offering "coming next" (no details there.)

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2021, 09:01:49 AM »
+4

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2021, 07:02:24 AM »
@robert3985 has a fail-safe method for attaching his handlaid points to the throwbar. He has documented it on the Railwire few times.  And as others have said, there is no need to make points separate from closure rails. Just file notches in the foot of the rail. That will create a solid "hinge" which will flex enough to allow for the points to move.

I just take the extra step and make the points hinged at the throwbar by soldering a small tab to each point, drill it for a pin and solder the pins through holes in the throw bar.  I have turnouts (made from Fast Tracks fixtures) that are nearly 20yrs old that have had no issues with broken solder joints.

But it would be very advantageous to have cast nickel silver turnout frogs and points... 

JB

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2021, 07:00:58 PM »
Absolutely stunning game changer for the active modeller market.
Wish the business all the success knowing how dilgent and thorough he's made the end-user process.
ABFab ! :D
cheers d

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2021, 11:36:40 AM »
I just take the extra step and make the points hinged at the throwbar by soldering a small tab to each point, drill it for a pin and solder the pins through holes in the throw bar.  I have turnouts (made from Fast Tracks fixtures) that are nearly 20yrs old that have had no issues with broken solder joints.

But it would be very advantageous to have cast nickel silver turnout frogs and points... 

JB

I’m not sure I follow. You do this in N scale? Mind posting a photo please?
Thanks, Otto

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
+3
I’m not sure I follow. You do this in N scale? Mind posting a photo please?
Thanks, Otto

Here you go...

This is the point rails and throwbar for an HOn2 (7mm gauge) Code 55 #7 turnout.  The tiny hinge plates (on the throwbar) are laser cut from 0.006" thick steel and have a tongue that goes under the stock rails.  The throwbar is a length of 1/32" thick x 0.060" wide PC tie stock from Clover House.

Untitled by jeffB, on Flickr

If you're curious...  Here's a photo of the turnout itself.  It's rather old and dusty because I decided to stick with HOn30 instead of HOn2.  The point and frog rails were filed using a Fast Tracks Point Form tool, but the rest of the fixtures are of my own design.  The frog assembly fixture was machined on my mill and the rest of the fixtures were laser cut out of various thicknesses of aluminum.

Untitled by jeffB, on Flickr

JB

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2021, 10:24:42 PM »
This is the point rails and throwbar for an HOn2 (7mm gauge) Code 55 #7 turnout.  The tiny hinge plates (on the throwbar) are laser cut from 0.006" thick steel and have a tongue that goes under the stock rails.

Those little hinge plates are impressive. When I was doing this I just soldered a small rectangular piece of brass between/under the points - this is so much nicer!