Author Topic: Organization of Digital Photos  (Read 1973 times)

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
Organization of Digital Photos
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »
I did not want to hijack the prior thread on organizing actual photos.

What are you using (other than Lightroom) to organize your digital photos?  I've used Lightroom in the past, liked it but will not pay a monthly subscription.  Thanks for your experience and feedback - Ross

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Organization of Digital Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »
If you're using a Windows machine and jpeg files, the easiest thing to do is tag them in thier properties.  Each image can have multiple tags.  You can then search by the tag and even create a shortcut for the search.

Jason

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:51:57 PM »
If you're using a Windows machine and jpeg files, the easiest thing to do is tag them in thier properties.  Each image can have multiple tags.  You can then search by the tag and even create a shortcut for the search.

Jason,

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for posting this.   I had attempted to use tags in the past with limited success.  Seems like the search never really worked right.  But now, it does seem to work very nicely.  I have started tagging and organizing my photos and it has been a productive couple of months.   

I still would like to find a better file de-dupe tool, and I'm having a *reallllly* annoying issue with my preview pane not working.   But I have managed to make some progress in large part to this old dog (re)learning a new trick.
Doug

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 11:57:01 PM »

Jason

Does the tag info reside in the JPG's EXIF data area?
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
My guess is it does not.  I believe the tags you set in Lightroom, for example, will not work in other photo organization software.  It would be great if it is stored in the EXIF as then you can do great searches using just the OS file search capabilities.  (Has to be enhanced.)

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
Does the tag info reside in the JPG's EXIF data area?

The tag does reside within the file.  I don't know if it's officially part of the EXIF data or how well it's supported across platforms or programs.

If you download this image, it should still be tagged.  I have it hosted on my website.

This one is attached.  It strips out the tagging.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Jason
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 01:13:36 PM by wcfn100 »

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 05:22:48 PM »
The tag does reside within the file.  I don't know if it's officially part of the EXIF data or how well it's supported across platforms or programs.

If you download this image, it should still be tagged.  I have it hosted on my website.

Indeed it does:
---- IFD0 ----
XP Keywords:
cgw;caboose;transfer;186
Padding:
(Binary data 1950 bytes, use -b option to extract)
---- XMP-rdf ----
About:
uuid:faf5bdd5-ba3d-11da-ad31-d33d75182f1b
---- XMP-xmp ----
Create Date:
2010:12:27 20:38:48
---- XMP-microsoft ----
Date Acquired:
2011:06:18 21:38:50
Last Keyword XMP:
cgw, caboose, transfer, 186

Although, that number  :lol:
d

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 06:05:38 PM »

Although, that number  :lol:
d

Ha, I guess I didn't press enter when I changed it.  Tags are touchy about that.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 07:16:08 PM »
I saw the tags too.   Good to know.
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 12:51:32 PM »

Jason

Any recommendations on a simple way to organize photos on an iPad? Is there a way to tag them?
I asked one of “Genius Bar” Apple employees and all I got was a suggestion I tag them by date (not date taken, date acquired;useless).
Thanks,
Otto K.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 01:10:53 PM »
I just make different albums first like “loco” and “boxcars” for example and put photos of that nature in each album.  Open the photos app in he iPad and click the plus symbol in upper left of the screen to make an album.   Not very scientific but it works for me.

Here is a link that might help too.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6060983

Also I found this on the interweb just now as I too was wondering how to put a new name to a photo in my iPad photo albums.

You can rename a photo, it’s just not as simple as on other devices. I don’t know why Apple makes it harder, but then again it took them forever to give us access to files on mobile devices in the first place.

I can simply rename on any other device or camera I have. Despite what the one answer said, most digital cameras do allow you to rename photos directly. I can do it on my Canons, my Sony, and my Android devices. You’ll just get a warning for a duplicate file name. Old point and shoots did not, true, but I think that my $900 iPad pro should have more functionality than a device from long ago. It doesn’t have anything with disk formats, Apple uses APFS, and FAT32 went out of style 15 years ago. Besides, it’s only needed for Windows compatibility which doesn’t apply here. Apple just likes to control certain things on their OS, something that has to be accepted if you use their devices. When it comes to mobile devices they’ve always treated users like we don’t know what we are doing, but that’s a different discussion.

So here’s how you do it without having to copy them to another device:

Open the image in Photos

Hit the share icon

Touch “Save to Files”

Add it to one of the folders, either on your ipad or in the cloud

Open the files app and navigate to the file

Long press and choose rename

That’s it!

Unquote

Let me know how or if this works
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:36:40 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 12:51:23 AM »
Thank you a bunch, Steve. I don’t know whether it works yet, but I’ll try it. I do know my brain hurts... :facepalm:
Otto
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:27:47 PM by Cajonpassfan »