Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/6/20  (Read 8018 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Weekend Update 12/6/20
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2020, 01:49:36 AM »
It's all good. It was simply an observation and a suggestion.

Lol, I'd hoped you'd more noticed how well I'd painted the grille.   ;)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2020, 02:33:00 AM »

Lol, I'd hoped you'd more noticed how well I'd painted the grille.   ;)

LOL Bryan, everything else about your model was perfect, but that light-blue inner fender was just staring me in the eyes!  Honest!   :D

But since you mentioned it, how did you do the grille? Dark wash?
. . . 42 . . .

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2020, 10:17:11 AM »
Next time, try slightly undercooking the pasta and then finish cooking it in the sauce.

Yes that is the traditional method, but a little difficult to do when you are making a large batch of sauce for freezing but only serving for one.  i also wanted to experiment with finishing off the pasta in an Alfredo sauce prior to topping with the Bolognese, which I quite enjoyed.

Wazzou:  Very nice F-850 truck, and well photographed! 

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2020, 03:05:11 AM »
+10
Was hoping to have this farther along but here is where it stands.  Working retail, my weekends at this time of year are Tuesday and Wednesday.

B&O I-1 kit #2 , original porch. Handrails and decals tomorrow. Also need to tone down the wood roof walks a bit.
Tony Hines

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2020, 11:47:34 AM »
+8
Life is elevated!

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2020, 04:33:07 PM »
+1
Was hoping to have this farther along but here is where it stands.  Working retail, my weekends at this time of year are Tuesday and Wednesday.

B&O I-1 kit #2 , original porch. Handrails and decals tomorrow. Also need to tone down the wood roof walks a bit.

Are you fabbing your own wall mounted grab irons? or using commercial parts (Gold Medal or some such?)
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
+1
Are you fabbing your own wall mounted grab irons? or using commercial parts (Gold Medal or some such?)
Lee

@SkipGear,

I'm seriously impressed with your B&O caboose.  Looks fantastic.

If there are not the commercial parts that @wm3798 was asking about, perhaps one thing that could be added to your 3D printed kit would be jigs for handrails.  I bought an N scale ACL M-5 caboose several years ago and, if memory serves me correctly, it included 3D printed jigs.  Adding these jigs would be a real bonus to your kit.  I wish you success and lots of sales.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
Excellent thought, @davefoxx .  The jig could easily be worked into one of the support structures or sprues.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »
All the grabs are bent from .010" PB wire. The only thing commercial is a single short stanchion from a GMM steam detail set on each of the 4 grabs on the porches. If I decide to add the grabs on the top of the cupola, they will be needed there also.

I considered making a template for the grabs but the more I look at photo's, no two cabooses are exactly a like. I'll work on it but the first kits probably won't have them, going to be a little bit of trial and error to get the sizing right and my time from now till Christmas is pretty well spoken for. I also considered adding dimples to help drilling the holes but then if you don't do the grabs, which the caboose looks fine without, the dimples would stand out.

Caboose 2 will be done in an hour or so. applying decals now. Will post pictures when done.
Tony Hines

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2020, 12:04:01 AM »
While I doubt that I'll ever take macro photos of that truck again, since it was just originally intended to show sirenwerks the model as part of the Sears thread, I'll be sure to complete the illusion for you two.   ;)
After looking at the original with the blurry background, I decided to take the Affinity Photo program for a test drive and it was super easy.

Stay tuned to see the truck when the next layout is built, (if only AnyRail were as simple as Affinity Photo)

And I appreciate that you posted the first time and came back with the new and improved image.  My only complaint was that both left me hankering for some more of the loco in the shot, and I don't consider that a knock against your modeling at all.  I consider you a kindred soul in that respect, being a fellow PNW modeler (though my region is south of yours and I am on the fence about modeling early BN or doing my own road using the OE as a starting point).

I am about to lay in an order with Rasputen that will include a quantity of the 850s.  Whichever version of the Willamette Valley I do, it will have an interesting complement of vehicles.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2020, 12:29:11 AM »
+10
Complete...

I-1 Fleet Left to Right -
    Fox Valley Laser Cut Kit, 3d Printed Narrow Porch version fully detailed, 3d Printed Wide porch simple paint.

Tony Hines