Author Topic: ESU LokSound Select Micro Install in Kato N-Scale SD45  (Read 6006 times)

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: ESU LokSound Select Micro Install in Kato N-Scale SD45
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »
Can’t you just cut .001 off the PC board, that would remove the copper. No need to cut a .010 cut on the board.
I think the trick would be to hold the PCB flat!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
Can’t you just cut .001 off the PC board, that would remove the copper. No need to cut a .010 cut on the board.
I think the trick would be to hold the PCB flat!

Correct on both counts. But I have been etching PC boards for about 40 years, so for me it is easier and neater to etch them.
. . . 42 . . .

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »
First up was milling the frame to make room for the decoder and speaker.  I made a decision to put the keep alive capacitors in the fuel tank, as there just wasn't a lot of room with this frame and shell

In this photo, you can see that I took down the read portion of the frame, down to the top of the part numbers, and made another large pad area in front, near the cab. Since the capacitors are in the fuel tank, I also milled a channel, to the rear, for the wires from them.   I also touched down a couple of high spots, which resulted in an oops, right above the motor tab, due to complete stupidity on my part while moving the X-Y table, and forgetting to adjust Z. 

(Attachment Link)

View of milling, from above

(Attachment Link)

Here is the fuel tank (which also demonstrates the importance of double checking your dimensions - all I needed was the smaller opening, but when marking... oh well)  You can see the start of the wire channel

(Attachment Link)

Close up of wire channel
(Attachment Link)

Rick

I'm thinking of installing an ESU 73100 in my Kato SD45 but am a little worried about filing/milling the frame.  In your photos it looks like the cut goes all the way to the rear of the motor cage.  Does this mean that the frame halves are only supported on the bottom?  And if so, have you had any adverse effects from that?

My SD45 was milled by Aztec for an oval speaker in the fuel tank.  I'll keep it there and use the rear space for caps.

I'm reviving this thread because 1) it's a great thread and 2) I want to feel comfortable doing my installation.  If this is frowned upon, tell me and I won't do anymore "revivals".

Conrad
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:27:22 PM by conrad »

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2020, 11:01:21 PM »
+1
Conrad
Here is a few photos of a Kato sd45 I did a long while ago.
I kept the motor mounts intact and put 4 caps in as well, in an L shaped group and a 9x16mm speaker. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Steve

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 12:47:52 AM »
Rick

I'm thinking of installing an ESU 73100 in my Kato SD45 but am a little worried about filing/milling the frame.  In your photos it looks like the cut goes all the way to the rear of the motor cage.  Does this mean that the frame halves are only supported on the bottom?  And if so, have you had any adverse effects from that?

My SD45 was milled by Aztec for an oval speaker in the fuel tank.  I'll keep it there and use the rear space for caps.

I'm reviving this thread because 1) it's a great thread and 2) I want to feel comfortable doing my installation.  If this is frowned upon, tell me and I won't do anymore "revivals".

Conrad

Conrad, I have not had any issues with the albeit sloppy and stupid milling I did on my first use of a mill. But, if I were doing it now, I would probably also use the 73100 board as Steve did (can’t recall if it was even released back then). Would have been a bit trickier running the wires for the ditch lights, but other than that a bit easier than stuffing the Select Micro in.

As far as I am concerned, reviving a thread is always ok as long as the revival is in the spirit of the original intent of the thread.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »
Thank you both.  I'm thinking Santa just might deliver several 73100's.

Conrad

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »
Conrad/Rick,
The 73100 install on the sd45 I did in above yesterday posted photos was one of the first installs with this decoder that I did.
Earlier in the thread I posted one where I put the micro select in the tank and that also was an older frame with Aztec
Milling which I just enlarged with a dremel.
So, Conrad, as you also have an Aztec milled frame you might want to consider enlarging the recess in the tank and putting in a new lok5 micro.   Just a thought and possible alternative.

I’m still wondering when the lok5 dcc direct micro will come out to replace the 73100.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:06:01 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2020, 10:09:08 PM »
Steve,

I thought of enlarging the tank cavity to put in a larger, non-oval, speaker but I don't have a mill nor dremel metal cutting heads.  Thus far I have not figured out how to enlarge the opening with files.

As for Lok5, I don't see an advantage for me.  I don't have a LokProgrammer and the 3 Select Direct Micro decoders that I have fit my needs.  PLUS, the 73100 looks like a direct drop in, minimal filing if any with speaker in fuel tank.

I've been following the threads on V5 decoders and am disappointed that the smallest ones use an onboard connector that increases the height in comparison to the older ones.  Too bad.

Conrad

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2020, 10:16:40 PM »
Steve,

I thought of enlarging the tank cavity to put in a larger, non-oval, speaker but I don't have a mill nor dremel metal cutting heads.  Thus far I have not figured out how to enlarge the opening with files.

As for Lok5, I don't see an advantage for me.  I don't have a LokProgrammer and the 3 Select Direct Micro decoders that I have fit my needs.  PLUS, the 73100 looks like a direct drop in, minimal filing if any with speaker in fuel tank.

I've been following the threads on V5 decoders and am disappointed that the smallest ones use an onboard connector that increases the height in comparison to the older ones.  Too bad.

Conrad

Hi Conrad,
Yes, I get it.  I think the 73100 is the way to go. If you don’t have the low profile caps like I used you could do what Rick did and put the caps in the tank recess, then you would have plenty of room on the rear shelf for a 9x16mm speaker with a nice sized enclosure of 800 plus mm3 volume.
Steve