Author Topic: Jewelers saw and files - recommendations?  (Read 2244 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
Re: Jewelers saw and files - recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
I feel if you are having problems with a standard jewelry saw then you should probably study your technique in sawing. I hear as many people complain about the Knew Concept saw as those who like them in the Jewelry making community. As my favorite mentor said " The Knew Concept saw is a over complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist " . But to each their own.

Hmmm...I don't think I said that I had a "problem" with my cheap-a$$ X-Acto "jewelers" saws, other than they're toy-like in their build quality.  The lever-action blade tightening on the Knew Concepts saws is a convenience, not a necessity. 

I bought mine because I wanted it, not because I needed it.  Their aluminum frames and precision features are awe-inspiring, as opposed to bent, zinc plated steel bar and wing-nuts on the cheaper saws.

I am pretty sure my sawing technique is on a pretty professional level for a model maker, since I've been a Senior Industrial Model Maker for myself, for Battelle Laboratories and Morton-Thiokol (manufacturer of the Space Shuttle SRB's and Mercedes air-bag technology) since I got out of the USN back in 1975.  As for jewelry?...I don't give a rat's weenie about jewelry, so if the saws are difficult for some jewelers to work with because they're too "complicated", that's their problem, not the saw's.

I'm sorry...really...but I find the whole concept that the Knew Concept saws are "overly complicated" to be... :facepalm:   In fact, the lever-action blade tightening feature, makes attaching a new blade significantly more simple than the contortions needed to attach and tighten the blade on my old X-Acto saw...and forget about blade tightness consistency!   

Yup...to each their own for sure....and I admit I really like fine tools such as the Knew Concepts Jeweler's Saw at my model railroad workbench.

Just sayin'...
Bob Gilmore

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »
Bob that was in no way a dig at yourself. The Exactly brands are garbage and more expensive than a decent German frame. I only mentioned jewelry as I see far more used in that craft / hobby than model making.
I still stand behind my opinion.
Edit: A jewelry saw is intended to be used in a vertical position straight up and down. I have occasionally used it at a angle but generally break more blades. When a horizontal cut is needed I go to another saw. Not sure how others use a jewelry saw.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:14:34 PM by metalworkertom »

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »
What does it mean that Grobet lists the Mascot line of files on their website?  That they make the files for the hobby shop brand?  Or just carry their competitor for some reason?
They have a whole section for "Mascot Hobby Tools", and they carry some other brands on there as well.   I looked around and found that Grobet is indeed the parent company of Mascot.   Who knows when that ownership took place.  While I have used some Mascot files and drill bits in the past, and they are pretty good, I would not put them in the same class as Grobet.  My guess is that Grobet acquired them to give them a position in a lower-priced market, but I have no evidence of that.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
They have a whole section for "Mascot Hobby Tools", and they carry some other brands on there as well.   I looked around and found that Grobet is indeed the parent company of Mascot.   Who knows when that ownership took place.  While I have used some Mascot files and drill bits in the past, and they are pretty good, I would not put them in the same class as Grobet.  My guess is that Grobet acquired them to give them a position in a lower-priced market, but I have no evidence of that.

That's both plausible and commendable at the same time.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 10:09:42 PM »
+1
JAHKSD: Just Another Happy KNEW Saw Devotee.

-Dave

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 12:34:17 AM »

That's both plausible and commendable at the same time.

You know, that's a good observation.  Mascot tools are very good.  It says a lot that Grobet's idea of "lower cost" is still a very good line of tools.