Author Topic: Jewelers saw and files - recommendations?  (Read 2243 times)

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
Jewelers saw and files - recommendations?
« on: November 28, 2020, 08:08:42 PM »
Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase a jewelers saw and some jewelers files for my tool collection.  I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for use on small N-scale sized projects.  On the files, I want something that will last for some time.
Thanks.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Jewelers saw and files - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »
+2
I don't have any ideas about a saw (other than the tried and true Zona)
But hands-down for files,  look at Grobet jewelers files.  These are professional grade and so much better than hobby story files, I don't even know where to begin.

They will cost you anywhere from $10 to $20 each depending on which ones you get.
They come in a variety of shapes and coarseness, with #00 being the coarsest and #8 being the finest.  They go
00, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8.   Usually you can only get #8 in what they call "escapement" files, which are generally very thin, delicate
files.   Personally, I own some #2 and #4 and they are worth every darn penny.  Sharp as heck, don't wear out,
very crisp and accurate cutting.

http://www.grobetusa.com/needle-files-3/

I usually just go to their main website (above), find the ones I want, and then hunt the web for that part number.
Many on-line jeweler's supply stores carry them.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 09:16:08 PM »
For the saw, I’d get something like this: https://www.riogrande.com/product/swiss-3-saw-frame/110059

For blades you really are better off getting the good ones. A dozen each of three different sizes. I’d go with 2, 0, and 2/0, unless you’re going to cut lots of very thin material, I which case I’d add a finer blade as well. There’s a slight art to tensioning a blade, it’s straightforward but if the blade is floppy it will break rather than cutting.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 10:04:02 PM »
For the saw, I’d get something like this: https://www.riogrande.com/product/swiss-3-saw-frame/110059

For blades you really are better off getting the good ones. A dozen each of three different sizes. I’d go with 2, 0, and 2/0, unless you’re going to cut lots of very thin material, I which case I’d add a finer blade as well. There’s a slight art to tensioning a blade, it’s straightforward but if the blade is floppy it will break rather than cutting.

If they're that good, why would you need to purchase 36 blades?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 10:14:32 PM »

Because no matter how good you are they break. I'd get a gross of each in the sizes mentioned above. Either the Swiss one above or a German one around that price point. The high dollar ones are a gimmick. To adjust blade clamp in handle end the correct direction. I put the handle against my chest and push , then tighten the blade clamp. You should be able to pluck it like a guitar string. I personally buy cheap files and just replace often. But I also grind my files into different shapes , safe edges and size as needed.

If they're that good, why would you need to purchase 36 blades?

metalworkertom

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 10:27:05 PM »
To add . I use Rio Gold blades from Rio Grande jewelry supply. Either buy or make a bench pin to support your work when sawing.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips!  Max, those files look great and well worth the investment.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »
+1
Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase a jewelers saw and some jewelers files for my tool collection.  I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for use on small N-scale sized projects.  On the files, I want something that will last for some time.
Thanks.

I agree completely with Max @mmagliaro about Grobet files.  When I started seriously doing commercial model work, they were one of my very first purchases.

As to jeweler's saws, I fiddled around with several different commonly available ones for years, but finally decided to go top-of-the-line when I was doing a lot of precision cutting when I was making HO scale lost-wax detail parts for a while.  The one jeweler's saw line that caught my eye big time were the various saws available from Knew Concepts.  Here's their homepage: https://www.knewconcepts.com/jewelers-saws-and-tools.php  A good one for model railroading work is the Knew Concepts 3" Mk III saw that Fast Tracks offers here:  https://www.handlaidtrack.com/tl-0043

However, I went with the stiffer Mk IV 3" saw, and I am extremely happy with it.

What I really like about the cam-lever blade attachment mechanism is that I can get the same tension every time quickly, as opposed to cheaper, hobby store X-Acto wooden handled versions, saving me both time and broken saw blades as well as a consistent cut all the time.

On the Knew Concepts page,  you'll see the REALLY top of the line saws with titanium frames....hmmmm....they continue to tempt me, but I don't see how even Titanium is going to improve the saw cut of these fine tools.

Various blades are available on both Fast Tracks and Knew Concepts pages with various tooth coarseness for whatever work you intend to do.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »
Just to add...
The way I stumbled on to Grobet files was that in my collection of files, I had two Grobet that belonged to my grandfather, who was a diamond setter and jewelery maker.  One day, realizing that these 50-year-old files were sharper and cut cleaner than anything I had, I wondered what the heck they were.  I saw the name "Grobet" stamped in the handle and looked them up.  And then the light bulb came on.  Why buy this stuff from "train shops"?  Jewelers do this for a living and they need tools that really work and really last.  So I sought out the Grobet.

The same thing happened with the drill bits.  There are USA made professional grade wire drills from places like Precision Twist Drill (PTD), Union, Cleveland and others.  (PTD is no longer USA made, but are still excellent).   So I started hunting new-old-stock lots of these things on eBay.  One PTD #80 bit can drill metal for 10x longer than a hobby grade bit and still be sharp.  Drilling #80 holes in a brass boiler with hobby grade bits is an exercise in mental suicide.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 04:29:43 PM »
Just to add...
The way I stumbled on to Grobet files was that in my collection of files, I had two Grobet that belonged to my grandfather, who was a diamond setter and jewelery maker.  One day, realizing that these 50-year-old files were sharper and cut cleaner than anything I had, I wondered what the heck they were.  I saw the name "Grobet" stamped in the handle and looked them up.  And then the light bulb came on.  Why buy this stuff from "train shops"?  Jewelers do this for a living and they need tools that really work and really last.  So I sought out the Grobet.

I also have a set of 6 Grobet files with wooden handles in a soft vinyl holder.  The sticker on it shows Grobet 0/A.  They do seem to be sharper than other files , and they have not lost their "bite" over the years.  But I could swear that I bought them at a hobby shop (probably at Ken's Trains, and it probably came from Walthers).  Either way, I agree that those are excellent files.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 04:38:50 PM »
I also have a set of 6 Grobet files with wooden handles in a soft vinyl holder.  The sticker on it shows Grobet 0/A.  They do seem to be sharper than other files , and they have not lost their "bite" over the years.  But I could swear that I bought them at a hobby shop (probably at Ken's Trains, and it probably came from Walthers).  Either way, I agree that those are excellent files.

Well, to be fair, saying "hobby store" files was a generalization because I never figured a hobby shop would carry these.  But it's certainly possible that a good shop would stock them. 

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
I bought my 12 piece needle file set from a major jewelry supply business in Salt Lake City after trying to file sharp cornered square holes for windows in a 1/8" 1850's American Clipper I was scratch-building for a customer.  It became pretty clear pretty quick that none of my "jeweler's files" were square, nor would file a sharp cornered rectangular hole in anything, and I went looking for quality files at several stores (including hobby shops) and never found any that were even close to perfectly square. I took my problem to the owner of Freshman's Jewelry Supply (where I'd purchased my investment casting equipment) and he immediately went into the back room and brought out my 0 cut file set and told me "these are the best files that i know of."

Since then, I've purchased several other, larger Grobet files for various projects and I definitely think they are worth their prices.

Cheerio

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 09:37:27 PM »
I agree 100% with @robert3985 - I splurged on the Knew Concepts Mk III with the cam-lever and it's awesome.

Frank

metalworkertom

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »
I feel if you are having problems with a standard jewelry saw then you should probably study your technique in sawing. I hear as many people complain about the Knew Concept saw as those who like them in the Jewelry making community. As my favorite mentor said " The Knew Concept saw is a over complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist " . But to each their own.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 03:53:57 PM »
What does it mean that Grobet lists the Mascot line of files on their website?  That they make the files for the hobby shop brand?  Or just carry their competitor for some reason?