Author Topic: Downtown business parking (weekday)  (Read 5616 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Downtown business parking (weekday)
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2020, 11:55:37 PM »
I would absolutely hate to get back on track here, but.

The shot in Palacios, TX. They still have the same parking today:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7017034,-96.2167955,3a,35.9y,187.12h,90.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG7AeghdIVnth33iGg7FPpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2020, 11:58:58 PM »
Stop creating a thread drift Chris, we're talking about corners!   :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 12:05:40 AM »
Stop creating a thread drift Chris, we're talking about corners!   :trollface:

. . . and kitties, and ducks. Quack, meow!  :D
. . . 42 . . .

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
Kitty corner where I grew up in Jersey and where I live in Wisconsin now.  I've heard of catty wampus.   Never heard catty corner till this thread.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »
Kitty corner where I grew up in Jersey and where I live in Wisconsin now.  I've heard of catty wampus.   Never heard catty corner till this thread.

Catty corner is the common in Western PA.
Mark G.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 11:24:58 AM »
Where I grew up around Washington DC, there are people coming from all over the country, even the world.  So, I heard people say "catty corner", "kitty corner", "caddy corner", "crick", "creek" and just about every other phrase.  But I never heard it get any discussion until this thread.

As for meaning, around the Chesapeake Bay, the word "creek" is often applied (even on official maps) to wide, salt-water arms branching off of larger saltwater estuaries called "rivers".  Probably 15,000 years ago, when sea level was more than 300 feet lower than today, these creeks were small fresh water streams running into a freshwater portion of the Susquehanna River where the Chesapeake Bay is today.  Their valleys got flooded when sea level rose as the ice age melted.  But, I am positive there were no English-speaking people around, then, to pass down that line of thinking.

But, let's not drift into "global warming"!

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »

Eh, I don't know about that.  Have you spent much time in the Appalachia or further South? 
I've heard a lot more crick than creek when in those areas.

LoL. I grew up with a creek always having at least a small flow of water, whereas a crick was dry for extended parts of the year.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
Nothing to do with global warming (just the normal ongoing climate change) but I was watching a tv program yesterday talking about the seaport servicing Rome that is now 2 miles inland from the Mediterranean, so the sea level was lower there, but look at where the pass at Thermopylae is located in relation to the sea and apparently sea level was significantly higher back when the Persian empire invaded Greece.

Basically, sea level hasn’t been historically constant even during recorded history, so expecting it to remain constant isn’t reasonable.

And, don’t forget about the type of crick you get in your neck.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »
Nothing to do with global warming (just the normal ongoing climate change) but I was watching a tv program yesterday talking about the seaport servicing Rome that is now 2 miles inland from the Mediterranean, so the sea level was lower there, but look at where the pass at Thermopylae is located in relation to the sea and apparently sea level was significantly higher back when the Persian empire invaded Greece.

Basically, sea level hasn’t been historically constant even during recorded history, so expecting it to remain constant isn’t reasonable.

And, don’t forget about the type of crick you get in your neck.

The southern edge of the European tectonic plate is being pushed upwards by the northern edge of the African plate sliding under it - hence the Alps and other mountains.  But, it isn't uniform.  For instance, Venice is not staying ahead of sea level rise, and is probably actually sinking, like the Delmarva Peninsula where I am living.  Here, the sinking just about doubles the net effect of sea level increase over the last few decades.  So, the tide gauges now have mean sea level about half a foot too low, since being recalibrated about 1980 (I think).  Sometimes my "creek" now gets over my road when the tide comes in with some wind behind it.  That will surely put a "crick" in my resale value whenever that time comes.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 03:51:43 PM »
Yeah, it’s hard to take sea level change seriously when the damn land won’t hold still.  :D

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 08:29:30 PM »
Map is wrong. Virginia is all kitty corner. A Catty Corner would have a Booby Shop on it.
Peter Pfotenhauer

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2020, 03:31:35 AM »
Now if I was parking ducks or cats .....
I know there's a uniform traffic signage code, for everything from signs to lane markings, but is there some source for standardized lane widths and angle/parallel parking standards? The measurements of the photo shot are a good start. Looks like I'll have to re-think the parallel parking.
Still nobody said there seemed to be too many or two few cars for the situation, so -- since that scene used up every auto on my layout --time for another big order from rasputen. I also need to get multiples of Fords, Chevvies, and Plymouths. And lots to be painted black!

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »
Not every car was black. It's just that most look black. In late 1940s, Chevy also offered 5 shades of dark green, plus some other dark colors, plus a tan called "Texas Ivory".  As years progressed into the 1950s, they added red, several other lighter/brighter colors and several 2 tone options.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/paint4954.htm
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/paintcodes.htm
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »
Don’t forget that most photos from that era are black & white.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2020, 11:57:22 AM »
Don’t forget that most photos from that era are black & white.

And wasn't the B/W film of that era insensitive to red color, so anything red would appear as black?
. . . 42 . . .