Author Topic: M-T TBOX  (Read 8317 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2835
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: M-T TBOX
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 12:44:53 AM »
The air hose is a nice add-on detail. Will look even better after painting it black.  MTL has really done a great job on this model.

IN the video I also didn't see any glue used anywhere during the assembly. If that is the case, with the quality of the molding, they seem to be up to Kato's engineering quality (which I say as a compliment).  I always thought that Micro Trains made excellent quality models (even if the dimensions were sometimes off), but it is also nice to know that they still "have it".
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2020, 01:06:33 AM »
The air hose is a nice add-on detail.

That's actually a Stanray cut lever.  It's rather chunky, to be honest, but that's the nature of trying to do those kinds of parts in plastic.   A wire part would be better, but also would be tricky to make by hand.  Alternately, an etched part out of say 0.005" SS would look good there too.

IN the video I also didn't see any glue used anywhere during the assembly.

I'd think that glue just slows down the assembly process too much.

I always thought that Micro Trains made excellent quality models (even if the dimensions were sometimes off), but it is also nice to know that they still "have it".

I've always been impressed with MT's tooling and graphics.  That said, I don't really have all that much from MT, sometimes because of things like the accuracy and ride height, but also because their offerings haven't lined up with my interests.  Not at all meaning for that to sound critical, it's simply the way it's been for me.  These TBOXes happily are a game-changer, and I hope to be able to buy more of these and other models in the future (at least when they are not all sold out, lol).

Ed
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:21:27 AM by ednadolski »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2835
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 01:51:58 AM »
+1
That's actually a Stanray cut lever.  It's rather chunky, to be honest, but that's the nature of trying to do those kinds of parts in plastic.   A wire part would be better, but also would be tricky to make by hand.  Alternately, an etched part out of say 0.005" SS would look good there too.

It was hard to tell in the photo what it was, and how thick it is.  I agree that many add-on plastic parts (like ladders) can be out-of scale, and since those are usually unpainted, the color often doesn't match.  Plus, with many lighter colors, the parts are translucent.

I'd think that glue just slows down the assembly process too much.

Yes, plus there are often visible glue stains.  Just look at all the Scale Trains Rivet Counter locos.   :D  Not using glue also means much easier disassembly.  That is why I prefer that assembly method that MTL and Kato use, even if they are not super detailed like Scale Trains locos.
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 12:10:40 AM »
+4
Quick pic, with LEZ coupler installed. I used a variant of the brass box that allows the coupler to be installed as if it were a 'long shank' type.   I used a 0.040" shim to get the right height.  No weathering yet, but that's going to change soon ;)

Ed

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +432
    • Modutrak
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2020, 12:13:18 PM »
+8
This model is at the nexus of MTL's tooling and printing capabilities and state of the art in the industry.  It's the model that finally lives up to what MTL's capabilities could be, with an eye toward prototype fidelity as an important factor.  It shows in the final product.  Beautiful.

Kudos MTL, and kudos to Joe D'Amato for running this one through the finish line. 

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »
11 in stock at mbk as of this post
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +481
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »
Down to 1.

I sprung for a set. :D

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »
....and, they're gone!

MTLJoe

• Crew
  • Respect: +759
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »
+1
This model is at the nexus of MTL's tooling and printing capabilities and state of the art in the industry.  It's the model that finally lives up to what MTL's capabilities could be, with an eye toward prototype fidelity as an important factor.  It shows in the final product.  Beautiful.

Kudos MTL, and kudos to Joe D'Amato for running this one through the finish line.

Thank you very much...

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +395
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2020, 11:57:57 PM »
Here is hoping they do another run!  I was too late in trying to purchase these.  Great video by the way!

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2020, 06:10:26 AM »
Here is hoping they do another run!  I was too late in trying to purchase these.  Great video by the way!

As the sets are still being shipped to dealers who pre-ordered them, you still have a chance to obtain one.

Per December 02, 2020 reply #66 by Tony Hines in the VIDEO — The Making of the Micro-Trains TBOX: thread:

"Our shop received an e-mail from Micro-Trains today explaining that they are still producing these cars. Rather than hold up the release another few weeks, they shipped what they had to the shops with standing orders for the month. Remaining pre-orders are being finished now and will ship out as they are completed or with your next order."

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2021, 07:48:30 PM »
In case anyone missed out on these the first time around, N Scale Supply claims to have gotten a re-stock.
Sean

CSXBaltimore

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 10:06:21 AM »
I can never figure out how to find anything on their site.  I must be doing something wrong.  Every time I use their search function it gives me links for stuff outside of their own site.

Wish more places had sites like lombard or midwest.

J

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +68
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 06:00:32 PM »
I’m sure it’s on the MTL site, but what’s the minimum radius for these cars?
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2021, 10:35:35 PM »
I’m sure it’s on the MTL site, but what’s the minimum radius for these cars?

Not sure, but the answer may be a little more complicated if you're running these cars with other cars that have truck-mount couplers vs. body-mounted couplers.