Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/8/20  (Read 7610 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Weekend Update 11/8/20
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »
Not really.  All you need to do is add a small spacer so that the coupler is lowered a bit and will mate up with the MT coupler height gauge.  I use Evergreen HO scale 2x12 strips (part #8212 I think).

You can use the same mounting pin and hole that the original 1015 used (you can use a screw if you would like as well).  The baggage cars and mail/baggage cars need a new hole drilled just inside the stock hole in order to get the correct distrance between the cars (even with the 905's, the stock hole leaves the cars too far apart).

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Thank you for the info and pictures!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
+20
This week.. On the FCN...

It has been in the high 60's and low 70's this week in Milwaukee.. 8).

This Morning, I did the last (hopefully) raking of my leaves for the year..
And than have been downstairs, cleaning the layout room.  I vacuumed and washed the basement floor, and am "Venting Out" the basement.   ( I have NOT had a running session since, March.  Can't wait for this stuff to be over soon..  :| )

I used my last, spare light and lit up the South Ford City area of the layout.. 8).

My final, Resin trucks projects are done and near completion. 
The Almond Fire Department, is finally getting it's Truck.  And GGX is getting it's own version of the FCN's "Super Truck"... There's a, 20 year span between the FCN one and the GGX unit.. :o.
Wish I could find more of the "Con-Cor/Herpa" truck mirrors.. :(

Jerry G.

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2020, 01:22:25 PM »
Mark,

Great job on the Nelson Yard photos.  The night shot is excellent!

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »
Here is a mid-1930's version of the Milwaukee Road Day Express (precursor to the Morning and Afternoon Hiawathas) which ran between Chicago and the Twin Cities.  Heavily modified and painted Model Power 4-6-2 Pacific.  All the cars (with the exception of the modified Atlas baggage car) are custom painted and lettered Micro Trains cars.  Fox Valley 36" metal wheels and Micro Trains 905 Z scale couplers have been added.  I also added non-working marker lamps and an end gate in the vestibule to the last parlor car in the consist.

I'm really pleased how the locomotive turned out for this train.  I would loved to have seen this in real life back in the 1930's.

/>

I'm building the same trains. In addition I have a serious interest in the tourist trains of the era that went West. I have a bunch of car sides for 14 section tourist cars and some of the other distinctive cars like the 10-2 car and such.

We REALLY need F-6 HUdsons !!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
This week.. On the FCN...

It has been in the high 60's and low 70's this week in Milwaukee.. 8).

This Morning, I did the last (hopefully) raking of my leaves for the year..
And than have been downstairs, cleaning the layout room.  I vacuumed and washed the basement floor, and am "Venting Out" the basement.   ( I have NOT had a running session since, March.  Can't wait for this stuff to be over soon..  :| )

I used my last, spare light and lit up the South Ford City area of the layout.. 8).

My final, Resin trucks projects are done and near completion. 
The Almond Fire Department, is finally getting it's Truck.  And GGX is getting it's own version of the FCN's "Super Truck"... There's a, 20 year span between the FCN one and the GGX unit.. :o.
Wish I could find more of the "Con-Cor/Herpa" truck mirrors.. :(

Jerry G.

Very impressive construction, hat's off!   8)

Ed

voldemort

• Crew
  • Respect: -46
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »
What a beautiful job everyone does here.  On everything.  Especially the basement cleanup.  I think everyone would have a stroke here if mine was even slightly like yours.  I like the pictures and the description of adding the body couplers.

Now we need a 'spazzes weekend update' for those of us struggling to JFRTM (ie, getting the layout to the point of getting them to run in a loop).  Something with plaster everywhere, pink foam sticking out, hot glue strands of fibers etc.  Like for those of us 'real men'

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »
Jerry G. said "Wish I could find more of the "Con-Cor/Herpa" truck mirrors.. :("

Try RoyaleModels.com.  They have many resin trucks and they do have mirror sets.  As well as decals for mud flats and generic trucking companies for the stuff on the doors.

I not affiliated other than knowing John and as a happy customer.
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3375
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »
+2

I'm building the same trains. In addition I have a serious interest in the tourist trains of the era that went West. I have a bunch of car sides for 14 section tourist cars and some of the other distinctive cars like the 10-2 car and such.

We REALLY need F-6 HUdsons !!

You mean like this :)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is a Concor/Kato 4-8-4 that has had the rear driver removed (I bought it from the guy who did that).  I added DCC and painted/decaled it.  It doesn't run for crap because it's out of balance now with the rear driver removed, but it looks excellent for the F6a Baltic.

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2020, 11:49:12 PM »
Been playing with Helicon Remote for focus stacking, and GIMP for a fake sky:

the roof on that auto rack looks great.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2020, 12:07:06 AM »
the roof on that auto rack looks great.

Yes it does! Technique please!

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2020, 12:58:58 AM »
ed nadolski - Thank You..  :)

Tom Todd - Thanks, I will look into that...

Voldemort - These things did not happen overnight... Just hang in there... :)

Jerry G.

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2020, 09:16:27 AM »

(Attachment Link)

This is a Concor/Kato 4-8-4 that has had the rear driver removed (I bought it from the guy who did that).  I added DCC and painted/decaled it.  It doesn't run for crap because it's out of balance now with the rear driver removed, but it looks excellent for the F6a Baltic.

That is slick! Is the boiler shell from the Concor 4-8-4?

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2020, 10:12:29 AM »

(Attachment Link)

That's a good looking engine ! I am wondering if the new Bachmann Hudson would make a good donor? They are not going to be cheap !

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3375
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2020, 11:15:30 AM »
That is slick! Is the boiler shell from the Concor 4-8-4?

Yes - it was shortened as well to fit the new mechanism.
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2020, 12:09:39 PM »
Yes it does! Technique please!

Truth is, I forgot how I did it.  Fortunately I remember that I wrote it down (over 10 years ago):

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=16573.msg183877#msg183877