Author Topic: The HO Scale Delaware Avenue Branch  (Read 1750 times)

perezbill

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
The HO Scale Delaware Avenue Branch
« on: January 26, 2021, 06:06:00 PM »
+1
For several years I have been looking at building a model railroad. I looked at many published plans. I drew up custom plans myself using different software to draw them up and see what would fit my available space. I have used different software such as cadrail, 3rd planit, xtracad, anyrail, and scarm, all at different times over the years. I ended up settling on 3rd planit. During the outbreak of Covid-19 in the beginning of 2020 I was laid off from work. I had a lot of free time on my hands and used that time to polish up some 3rd planit skills a little and make a final drawing for the chosen plan. The chosen plan is the Delaware Avenue Branch which was in model railroader; I believe it was March 2017's magazine. The plan is also in MR's track planning database on their website. It took me probably a good month or more to get the plan drawn out in 3rd planit the way I wanted it. I increased its area size from 9' x 12' to 13' x 17'. My scale in this case is going to be HO. Based on the original size I was not able to get switches to fit the plan in its original configuration, that is why the dimensions changed. My approach to building this plan was to 1. Get the area cleaned up where the layout would occupy. 2. Get benchwork built. 3. The plan would use hand laid switches...in this case Fast Tracks hand laid switches. The rail used is Atlas code 83 rail on everything. Now that I knew what I wanted to build I had a few needs and questions to be answered so I could start working. One of the questions concerned building Fast Tracks switches with Atlas rail. Tim Warris was extremely helpful with the answers I needed. Basically Atlas code 83 rail fits Fast Tracks code 100 fixtures. Since the base of the rail on Atlas track is the same on both code 100 and 83 I can build switches with both sizes of rail in the same fixtures.

To Be Continued....

perezbill

• Crew
Re: The HO Scale Delaware Avenue Branch
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 05:02:19 PM »
+3
Now I have the plan, what I am going to do for switches and a person who is going to build the benchwork for me it was time to get started. Basically for me it meant a large purchase with Fast Tracks, and working with the person making my benchwork. I purchased a lot of Atlas code 83 flex track and I built all my turnouts prior to getting the benchwork completed using some of the flex track I purchased. I stripped the rail from the ties and used it in the Fast Track templates to make the switches the plan required. I am happy with the results.

To Be Continued...

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 09:45:09 PM »
Glad to see you posting, @perezbill ; keep it up and you'll be at the required post count to post pictures, which should help others visualize the layout better (for those unfamiliar with your plan). Maybe in the meantime you could talk about things like prototype, DCC system, turnout controls, or decoder choices; something you don't really need to see but you could still get advice/comments on. Maybe you could ask about that bridge you were curious about; I'm sure someone here would know.
- Christian J. Davis

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5430
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 12:36:35 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this one.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 02:29:02 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this one.

You said it!

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 10:57:41 AM »
@perezbill what section of the branch are you focusing on?  Philadelphia has some amazing references here (scroll to the bottom for the 1940s track diagrams) -->

https://www.philageohistory.org/rdic-images/Streets/index.cfm?kw=pier&id=&dt1=&dt2=&num=100000&pg=1

Frank

perezbill

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:54:20 AM »
+1
The plan I am working on is from a MR article in 2017. It is not real and I am modeling it modern.

perezbill

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »
+3
Now that I can add pictures I am adding pictures of the FastTrack's items that I built. The amount of materials that I needed to purchase from FastTrack's was rather expensive when you add it all up. It was worth it to me as the only switches that seemed to fit the drawn plan were FastTrack's switches. These pictures don't fully do justice to the amount of track that I built. It was a lot but it was fun to build.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 01:49:29 PM »
Heck yea, love it !!!

perezbill

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
The next set of pictures are for the benchwork build. I had a friend who is extremely good with wood make them for me. The layout is built modularly just in case. The layout breaks down into 5' and 6' sections. The modules are made out of MDF. I topped them off with pink foam. They also got a coat of white primer just to get the wood painted.

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 06:05:17 PM »
Wow! Holy FastTracks! Being a customer, I know what you’ve got invested there!! Good stuff...

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:02 PM »
Had an old friend who insisted on painting the underside of his modules white. It made a huge difference in visibility when you were under the layout troubleshooting wiring.