Author Topic: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry  (Read 3636 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

haasmarc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +973
Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« on: October 29, 2020, 01:10:24 PM »
0
I am trying to find a couple of pictures that were posted on Railwire of a covered coal delivery industry.  It was very well done and I think the trestle came out the back of the shed to some degree.  I have been searching but haven't come up with it yet.  Does anybody remember it and know where it was posted?  I think it was on a Weekend update and I have been back through them but haven't found it yet.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

haasmarc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +973
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19604
  • Respect: +6932
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
0
I'm a sucker for coal dealers  :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Jacobs+coal+co%22+-site%3Apinterest.*&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjI9tukydrsAhVSbK0KHa9iB9AQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=%22Jacobs+coal+co%22+-site%3Apinterest.*&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DWa1i0gwFgioUBaABwAHgAgAGhAYgB9AKSAQMxLjKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=0xybX4jBEdLYtQWvxZ2ADQ&bih=625&biw=1280

haasmarc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +973
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 04:33:17 PM »
0
Yeah, I have been wanting to add one to the layout and have finally found a spot for one.

I like yours as well.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 07:13:10 PM »
0
I'm a sucker for coal dealers  :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Jacobs+coal+co%22+-site%3Apinterest.*&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjI9tukydrsAhVSbK0KHa9iB9AQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=%22Jacobs+coal+co%22+-site%3Apinterest.*&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DWa1i0gwFgioUBaABwAHgAgAGhAYgB9AKSAQMxLjKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=0xybX4jBEdLYtQWvxZ2ADQ&bih=625&biw=1280

Was this the intended target? https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/25809


Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19604
  • Respect: +6932
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »
0
One of my targets. I was trying to link the Google images page where you could see many examples of Mil-Scale Coal Yard Bunker.

Tom L

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 476
  • Respect: +530
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »
+2
I’ve done a little work to it since I posted those photos, I’ll try to post a updated pic sometime.

Here is a link to some good photos of various coal dealers, after the hopper Article

 https://www.acyhs.org/newsletter/Fall-Winter%202016%20News%20magazine.pdf

Tom L
Wellington CO

haasmarc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +973
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
0
Thanks Tom.  Very interesting.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 08:18:20 PM »
0
Here is a link to some good photos of various coal dealers, after the hopper Article

 https://www.acyhs.org/newsletter/Fall-Winter%202016%20News%20magazine.pdf

I enjoyed the entire issue! Thanks! :D


haasmarc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +973
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »
+3
Well, yesterday I started to cut in my coal dealership.



Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

NtheBasement

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +489
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 12:47:10 PM »
0
I’ve done a little work to it since I posted those photos, I’ll try to post a updated pic sometime.

Here is a link to some good photos of various coal dealers, after the hopper Article

 https://www.acyhs.org/newsletter/Fall-Winter%202016%20News%20magazine.pdf

Tom L
Wellington CO
Thanks for the link.  I used to wonder why model building kits were so horribly tiny, looks like in the olden days many buildings were indeed that small after all.  Maybe the reason for modelling the steam era isn't just about the steam. :)
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/UUk0kOaZliY

prbharris

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 188
  • Respect: +42
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »
0
I'm a sucker for coal dealers.

Some were not so little in the UK. This is the Coal Drop at Kings Cross in London - after abandonment in the 1970's or thereabouts - now a shopping mall, University building and up-market eateries in the the restored historic buildings [that do not smell of any coal either!]. In the previous hundred and fifty years this was a very busy scene.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com




OldEastRR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3784
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +516
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
0
Was there any special way they unloaded the hoppers at these places? Or were the ties spaced as usually down the dock, and the coalmen opened the hopper doors and let the coal pour through between the ties? If so then a nice detail would be various coal chunks on ties here and there.


wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:15:10 PM »
+9
My family's coal dock had a wooden pit between the rails that led to the steel gate over the truck.
We'd put braced plywood slope sheets beside the hopper bays to direct the coal solely between the rails.
I built a model of it used on my previous layout that I harvested for future use.
I'll post a better photo later.

Incidentally, the coal trestle is the one on the left. 
The one on the right was for aggregate and sand for a Redi-Mix batch plant.  The aggregate was dumped from belly dump trailers through the re-purposed railroad flatcar with rail used as decking.



Closeup

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:31:49 PM by wazzou »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10583
  • Respect: +1764
Re: Looking for Picture of Covered Coal Delivery Industry
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 02:39:14 AM »
0
In some cases, the pit track was similar to an inspection pit, with the rails directly on a pair of wood or steel beams.  Since  the bay doors could be opened one bay at a time, the put didn't need to be very wide.

Of course, a wider pit was nice, as the entire car could be unloaded at once, but back when the coal was moved from the pit by had, or a small conveyor, it wasn't necessary.  When end loaders and other mechanical device became the norm, wider pits were needed for the buckets.
N Kalanaga
Be well