Author Topic: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks  (Read 5896 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Steve Smith

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Respect: +9
Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« on: October 22, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
0
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with Intermountain N scale loco frames cracking, presumably from zinc rot ?   

I have two F3A locos that have severe and extensive cracking, one that actually ruptured the plastic shell, and the other that is so tightly expanded and deformed that I can't get the shell off without damaging it.    My other Intermountain locos, a F3B, two F7A's and a F7B, show no signs of cracking (yet).

I tried makiing contact with Intermountain two weeks ago via their website, but have heard nothing back from them.   Does anybody out there have a current e-mail address that I can make contact with a real live person there ? 

Steve Smith
South Africa


[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]




Wolf N Works

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 272
  • Respect: +86
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 08:53:32 AM »
0
I had a few Tunnel Motors do that, well maybe not THAT bad. IM sent me replacement parts. I am sure it is due to COVID that it is taking so long to get back to you. IM has always had great customer service in cases I had with them.
This is the email I conversed with them on intermountain@intermountain-railway.com
Hope it helps
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:55:04 AM by Wolf N Works »

thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4376
  • Respect: +1268
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »
+1
The last time I saw anything that bad involved a jar of acid leaking on an old pneumatic stapler.

I guess this weekend is loco inspection time at my house.  The one frame that is currently waiting on a shell paint job is an FP-7 that is from a run maybe 8 years ago, seems fine. I have some of their first run FTs (circa 2002), put decoders in them last year, with no signs of cracking or other frame issues (at that time, anyway).

@Steve Smith - do you know when yours were made? 

When you tried to contact IM, did you send the photos?  My own experience has been that sending them a photo brings a quicker response.
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

brokemoto

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Respect: +296
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »
0
This is not the first time that I have seen this complaint about IM products.  I have FTs, F-7s and an F-3.  None have shown this problem Y-E-T.  I run the B&O F-7s frequently.  I run the NYO&W FTs and the one F-3 from time to time.  I have had other FTs, F-3s, F-7s and FP-7s with the various road names, but I sold them.  None of them showed this problem.

I am surprised that IM would suffer the factory's using sub-standard metal for the power chassis.  I am sure that at least one official there is aware that the old RRs suffered from this and would not want it repeated.  Still, the factory in China could have sleazed in the inferior material.

I once had a set of FTs on which the B-unit kept stalling, even on straight end level.  I pulled off the shells and hardwired the pair together, which addressed the problem.  I posted about it on the old Atlas board.  An official from IM responded and told me to send back the things and that they would address it.  They did so, promptly.  They never did tell me what the problem was.  Shortly thereafter, I bought another set.  It showed the same problem.  This time, I decided to open up the things.  There was GREASE EVERYWHERE.  No wonder it stalled, the grease had gotten all over the insides and outsides of the power chassis and was compromising the contact.  I cleaned up both units (even though it was only the B that was stalling), re-assembled and put them back onto the track.  There were no more stalling problems.  I posted about it on the Atlas board.  An official from IM read it and let me kn ow that he was leaving shortly for a previously scheduled trip to China to discuss other matters, but, that he had received several over-greasing complaints.  He advised us that they had previously spoken to the people at the factory in China about overgreasing.  He assured us that he would give them a sound and stern blessing out about overgreasing.

Others have posted about frame rot and almost everyone has reported that IM sent new frame pieces, no questions asked.  I do wonder if they became aware of the problem,, spoke to the people in China, had better frame pieces made and had a stock of replacement parts sent here.  IM's Customer Service always has been top-drawer.  As another poster has stated, I, too, would expect that any delay in response might be due to constraints imposed by COVID-19.  Of course, this does not help, as many of us have more time for our trains due to COVID-19, but, it is the reality.  One of the advantages of buying far more power than you really need is that when something does need to be sidelined, you have a substitute until it can be repaired and returned to service.

Steve Smith

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Respect: +9
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »
0
Hi guys,

Thanks to all that responded with comments and information.

@ Wolf N Works - it is the same address I used for my e-mail sent on 02 October

@ thomasjmdavis - the locos have been stored in jewel boxes in a plastic tote since purchased from N Scale Supply in 2005, so presume they are of 2003/2004 manufacturing vintage  (pity they didn't age like wine from the same year).   The mail I sent to Intermountain included photos taken from all angles.

@ brokemoto - up until about 5 years ago the units ran without any problems whatsoever, and have been in storage since then. 

I will fire off a follow-up mail to Intermountain, and am hopeful they will replace the frames and shells.

Cheers,
Steve

djconway

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 487
  • Respect: +76
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 12:43:10 PM »
0
I had 3 F3's show up with this problem a few years back 2016? or so.  I sent a letter (snail mail) to IM explaining the situation and within 2 weeks had 3 replacement frames in hand.  They were quite easy to deal with.

drgw0579

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Respect: +56
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 02:18:10 PM »
0
What's a good expectation for a supplier to provide replacement parts for models?   I know if you buy a computer from a mainstream manufacturer, there is a stated "End of Life", and sometimes it is as short as 5 years from initial availability.  After that there's no guarantee it is fixable.   There is a certain train supplier that has a lifetime warranty policy, but if they don't have the parts for your model, they give you something else.   Some people were pissed when they sent a PRR K4 but got another model back   Since most of my locomotives are heavily modified, I would rather fix them myself, and that's why I like Atlas and Kato locomotives, because they sell parts on their website.   But I've noticed lately that even they run out of parts, I have a Kato SD45 I need a truck for, and none are available.  I guess at some point you need to give up on stuff.

Bill Kepner

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:41:02 PM »
0
What's a good expectation for a supplier to provide replacement parts for models?

In this case, 100% (this model is still being produced).

On the emails, be patient - I am still waiting on a reply to my October 13th email to IM. In this situation (if possible), I would call.

Mark
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:08:10 PM by Mark5 »


sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »
0
The last time I saw anything that bad involved a jar of acid leaking on an old pneumatic stapler.

I guess this weekend is loco inspection time at my house.  The one frame that is currently waiting on a shell paint job is an FP-7 that is from a run maybe 8 years ago, seems fine. I have some of their first run FTs (circa 2002), put decoders in them last year, with no signs of cracking or other frame issues (at that time, anyway).

@Steve Smith - do you know when yours were made? 

When you tried to contact IM, did you send the photos?  My own experience has been that sending them a photo brings a quicker response.

I'll have to open boxes this weekend too.

drgw0579

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Respect: +56
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 04:06:50 PM »
0
>In this case, 100% (this model is still being produced).

I wish. It's been along time since I've seen any for sale anywhere.   Spookshow has them last being imported in 2014.   I've voiced my opinion to my friends and they agree, but it seems like if you aren't  a current GE model then the market isn't there for being able to justify another run.   If you poke around the IMR web site, they do have some B units in stock,  but no A's.

I can't find any warranty info in IMR's website, but Atlas's is one year: "Atlas products are covered for one year from the date of purchase bought from an Atlas authorized dealer*.




peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35288
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6649
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »
0
Wow, that is a worst example if IM zinc pest I have seen!  Crazy.  Do you live in a hot and humid climate maybe?
I'll have to dig out my FT set and see how those frames look. 
This problem was quite prevalent in the 1970's and earlier. I thought that the manufacturers smartened up after that.
. . . 42 . . .

Wolf N Works

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 272
  • Respect: +86
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »
0
Well IM takes customer support to a higher standard. I know one of my TM was 6 or 7 years old, I purchase from a third party (and told them so) they still sent me replacement frames. Now they can not seem to bring the promised models on time but CS is great in my book

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16561
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7450
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 06:22:51 PM »
0
I've got a slew of 60s vintage Rivarossis, and NONE of them are that bad!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 07:22:31 PM »
0
I've got a slew of 60s vintage Rivarossis, and NONE of them are that bad!

Lee

If they were gonna go bad, it would have already happened by now.  :D


Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: Intermountain N scale F3A frame cracks
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »
0
>In this case, 100% (this model is still being produced).

I wish. It's been along time since I've seen any for sale anywhere.   

IM has a bunch of F3s listed as "Confirmed for Production" here:

https://www.intermountain-railway.com/newsncomingsoon.html

Anybody's guess as to when that'll be though.

The chassis should not be a problem to supply, but the cracked shell roadname might be a problem.

(Gonna check all of mine this weekend!  :scared: )

Mark