Author Topic: CP Laggan Sub (1:480)  (Read 1582 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
CP Laggan Sub (1:480)
« on: October 08, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
+1
One of the neatest things I've seen on the tiny train spectrum lately is Martin's linear motor drive model railroads in T gauge.  I was an early purchaser of T gauge Eishindo equipment, and picked up a couple North American shells from Jesse Svoboda, but couldn't get reliable enough running to be happy.

Martin's linear motors are based on the IDL tiny trains concept, where coils under the track drive magnetic trains above.  In fact, Martin has permission to use the patented concepts on a hobbyist basis.  However, he's taken the concept from neat, unpolished trick to full on model railroad mastery.  Check out his website and videos at https://modelrailmusings.weebly.com/ if you haven't run across them before.  Here's a sample:

Smooth motion from stepper motor control concepts, trains that are in big scenery, even turnouts and automated running... it's a great concept for show layouts.  And it solves the inherent problems with T gauge.  Dirty track, magnetic wheels that rot out, motors in every other car...

Martin has been kind enough to bounce around some ideas on the back end, and since it looks like a concept layout is coming together from our discussions, I wanted to start a build thread to track progress.

So let's mix a little Danneman, a little Martin, a little Svoboda, and a little CP Laggan Subdivision and see what this concept offers for a North American style layout.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:53:34 PM by Sokramiketes »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
Re: CP Laggan Sub (1:480)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 05:02:42 PM »
+1
We all have layouts that have inspired us.  One layout I keep coming back to is Mike Danneman's original 5x7 foot D&RGW layout.  It's a simple figure 8, but done in his typically highly artistic sense.  I've drawn it up in Z scale, thinking about matching it but more manageable to move and store.  And as I discussed possible track layouts with Martin, I settled on this layout as a starting point.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And here is an early planning attempt to use some existing track geometry, basically 122mm radius snap track.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
+1
A couple gotcha's I ran into.

1) Only left hand turnouts are available right now.
2) There wasn't a double track, 45 degree section yet.
3) The track spacing is too wide for NA, as limited by magnets passing each other in close proximity.

No problem, we can work with those limitations.
1) Easy to redesign, and let's add a siding for operational intrigue.
2) Martin wanted to add this piece to his line anyway, so he figured out the geometry.  Geometry isn't quite as simple, as the coils need to follow a strict spacing for the concept to work.  But we figured it out for this plan, and it opens up possibilities for future track arrangements.
3) Dummy tracks, in between powered tracks, make the layout look right.  And a bit of operational magic and people won't notice that all track isn't powered.

So we settled on this overall plan:

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »
+5
At this point, since automated train running is possibility with this concept, I started thinking about how trains should run.  The layout seemed to need a long unit train, and then a smaller way freight in the opposite direction.  With the passing siding and siding in play, the way freight could also set out cars.  Then I started thinking about what the town actually was.  And that led to a possibility of a helper pocket.  Maybe the long train comes in, maybe its a coal drag, and helpers attach to the back, push the train up the hill, and run back light?

The Martin said, hey, your trains are being pushed downhill... DUH!  So we need to flip the uphill and downhill portions of the original layout concept.

And thats when it hit me:  CP's Laggan Sub, specifically the Spiral Tunnels, has the perfect vista of stacked mainlines and bridges. 

Now we can have a grain train with helpers.  Maybe VIA's Canadian running in the other direction.  Set it in the late 1980s for red SD40-2's and gleaming Budd passenger equipment.  Man, we might be on to something.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 05:40:34 PM »
So let's mix a little Danneman, a little Martin, a little Svoboda, and a little CP Laggan Subdivision ....

" A little song, a little dance..."   :D

Ed

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 05:50:12 PM »
" A little song, a little dance..."   :D

Ed

"... a little seltzer down your pants."

RIP Chuckles.  :D

Jim

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 08:14:38 PM »
Very nice concept!  I have no interest in pursuing T gauge myself, but I'm very happy to watch others blaze that trail. :)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
+2
Assembling a test track, getting familiar with the components.

Update: Now with running test train.  My son said the video was dumb because you didn't get to see the train run. He watches more YouTube than I do...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:03:36 PM by Sokramiketes »