Author Topic: What do you use to mill frames and plastic  (Read 2171 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: What do you use to mill frames and plastic
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 10:21:19 PM »
Might be more than necessary.   ;)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 05:23:05 AM »
I have cut many frames for decoders successfuly with my Dremel and one of these cutters.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dremel-115-High-Speed-Cutter/dp/B00008Z9ZX

It’s steel so it wears but they are cheap. I don’t do frames on the regular so these last me a while.

Craig.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
I have cut many frames for decoders successfuly with my Dremel and one of these cutters.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dremel-115-High-Speed-Cutter/dp/B00008Z9ZX

It’s steel so it wears but they are cheap. I don’t do frames on the regular so these last me a while.

Craig.

Yes, that is the cutter I use most, for everything from wood to plastic to aluminum.  You found a better picture than what I posted.  They actually come in 2 diameters.  They will load-up with cut material, so you have to pay attention.  I clean the grooves with a pointed Xacto blade, when necessary.

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »
You may want to try using dental burs. The cutter you have shown is really for wood.
I tried they before and the just don’t hold an edge. You sort of wear away the metal, not cutting it.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
While I'm filing away I dream of this:

Conrad

I may be old, but I’m not to to the point of dreaming about machinery... yet.  :trollface:

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 07:18:01 AM »
You may want to try using dental burs. The cutter you have shown is really for wood.
I tried they before and the just don’t hold an edge. You sort of wear away the metal, not cutting it.

Indeed. That’s exactly how I’ve always felt but it got the job done and I can get a new one in 15 minutes at Home Depot.

Where to I get dental burrs from? I’d love to have more than one shape of cutter.

Craig

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »
 https://www.henryschein.com/us-en/dental/c/burs-diamonds

You may have to create an ID to see the prices.  These are the real McCoys.

You can also befriend a dentist.  :D  They toss them out when they are worn but still good for our (relatively) soft metal.

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 08:36:59 AM »
Your good friend E-Bay~search dental bur. lots to chose from -shop for price.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 08:16:04 PM »
Yes, I meant that the spindle that holds the chuck dropped out of the quill.  I did clean it and replace it, but did not use a blow to seat it, just pressure from the handle that lowers it (per Sears instructions).  That has been sufficient for years.  I only got too exuberant with my "milling" on it once.
Okay, we're talking about an "arbor", right?   It fits into the back of the drill chuck and the other end of it goes in the quill.   It needs to be wiped really clean.  I prefer to keep mine clean with acetone so it's clean and dead-dry before inserting it in the chuck.  (The quill end actually has a threaded drawbar on mine, so it can't fall out on that end).

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 11:14:40 AM »
Okay, we're talking about an "arbor", right?   It fits into the back of the drill chuck and the other end of it goes in the quill.   It needs to be wiped really clean.  I prefer to keep mine clean with acetone so it's clean and dead-dry before inserting it in the chuck.  (The quill end actually has a threaded drawbar on mine, so it can't fall out on that end).

Well, I am definitely not a machinist and apparently haven't been using the proper names for the internal parts of the tools that I use to machine things. I called that "thingy" that fell our of my drill press (when I put to much side pressure on it) a "quill" because it was called a quill by somebody else on the Internet who said that is what could happen when you do what I did.  And, frankly, it looks more like the quill of a feather than the part that is properly called a quill on a drill press. English is a weird language.

Anyway, I did dig out my instruction book for that drill press and now have a drawing with properly indicated names for the parts we are talking about, so that I can  communicate more clearly, going forward. Interestingly, the instructions mark a drawing part with the name "quill", but the written material simply calls the spindle and quill "the spindle" and "the tapered hole in the spindle" for purposes of assembly.  My arbor does not have a threaded draw bar on the end that fits into the quill, so it can fall out, and did, once.  The chuck is also a press fit on the other end of the arbor, and is seated with "a tap" in my instructions, so I guess that could also come apart accidentally when using this press to do milling, but mine never has.  Some of my other tools have chucks that screw-on, and of course, proper mills have threaded connections to avoid tapers working loose due to vibrations while forces are sideways instead of putting the joints in compression, as they are for drilling.

Although the instructions make it clear that the quill and arbor surfaces must be absolutely clear of particles and coatings to make a wobble-free connection, it only speaks to using a solvent "if the tapered hole is extremely dirty".  I used mineral spirits, and hoped to leave a bit of residue to resist corrosion, because the arbor is supposed to remain removeable from the quill, and I was (am) concerned that moisture in the air could rust the mating surfaces over time and "freeze" them together if I used something like acetone to completely degrease them.

My experience with gentle milling using this press has been good with the small burrs I originally posted.  The time I dropped the arbor out of the quill was while (slowly) forming a 1/8" deep, 3"' diameter recess in an aluminum bar when making a tool to hold a boat propeller shaft still while torquing on a propeller puller on the other side of the hull.  I just tried to take off too much material at one time.  After I reassembled the arbor to the quill and took lighter cuts, I did succeed with no further problems.

That is not likely to be such a problem with the milling jobs needed to put a decoder into an N scale loco frame.  So, my experience seems to indicate that you can use a reasonably solid drill press to do that kind of light milling, even if it does not have the threaded connections for the chuck to the arbor and the arbor to the spindle that a proper milling machine has.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:48:27 AM by Maletrain »