Author Topic: Flex Paste?  (Read 1125 times)

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
Flex Paste?
« on: October 17, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »
Woodland Scenics makes a product called "Flex Paste," which is a rubberized material intended to be used as a waterproof seal base for model water features (lakes, rivers, etc) to prevent leakage of the model water material, and also to prevent possible bubbles from the "de-gassing" of foam, if the modeler uses that as a foundation material under the water feature. It also has other modeling uses, such as simulating snowcover on buildings, terrain, etc.

Now, there's a company called Flex Seal that also makes a product called "Flex Paste," which is available at any hardware/home improvement store. Is it the same thing?

I tend to assume it is, but a WS product video shows that their Flex Paste can be sanded after it dries, while the Flex Seal's Flex Paste says on its product webpage that it cannot be sanded.

I'm planning to model a reservoir on my layout and would like to use Flex Paste as a base over extruded styrofoam. I'd like it to be flat in texture so the ability to sand it would be ideal for me.

Under the streets of Los Angeles

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Flex Paste?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 05:38:55 AM »
Pretty sure the WS stuff has been around longer.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »
I'm going to say, no, they're not the same.  The Flex Paste that you see in TV commercials is very rubbery.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm going to say, no, they're not the same.  The Flex Paste that you see in TV commercials is very rubbery.

DFF

Agreed. I think about all they have in common is the name. Although there's a video somewhere of a layout built with the rubber Flex Paste (second product) for scenery...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »
Starts at 1:15

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:23:02 AM by DKS »