Author Topic: Derailment - Santa Fe Junction KC caught on camera  (Read 2747 times)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
Re: Derailment - Santa Fe Junction KC caught on camera
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2020, 07:56:39 PM »
+2
[Thread drift]

Hopefully VR does a Cleanup video... Should be able to edit 2 days of video down to about 20-30 minutes..

~Ian
How to watch paint dry :)

~Ian

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 12:34:50 PM »
The ending is pretty great.  :)

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2020, 11:20:33 PM »
Hmmm, not impossible, but not as likely as a broken wheel or rail. Prototype wheels are pretty forgiving at switch points relative to our models.

Here's why I say this: If the points were gapped more than  0.249", given a properly adjusted switch per CFR 236, then the signal would never have cleared for the move. That's one of the many checks a signal system makes before clearing a signal a dispatcher has requested.

Lets not get all fancy here. Its supposed to break on a 1/4".  Depending on how loose the switch package and track work (loose wedges) and the fact that it's the UP, theres no telling what kind of changes in adjustment happen with the temperature change on that long a$$ bridge.

It happened at the tail end of the crossover on a trailing point move. I've heard some info on it but will not divulge.
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +237
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2020, 06:15:13 AM »
Lets not get all fancy here. Its supposed to break on a 1/4".  Depending on how loose the switch package and track work (loose wedges) and the fact that it's the UP, theres no telling what kind of changes in adjustment happen with the temperature change on that long a$$ bridge.

It happened at the tail end of the crossover on a trailing point move. I've heard some info on it but will not divulge.

So what are you beefing about? The technical explanation? So what. If a switch circuit controller of any type is out of adjustment, locking and indicating correspondence on a 1/4" or greater obstruction, and a signal was allowed to clear over it, that's a false proceed. The FRA would be all over that and I've seen no indication that they are with this incident.

But yes, the train was already in a CP on the near track with a RH xover, so that would almost certainly rule out a split switch. Looks like the derailment occurred in the vicinity of the frog. UP has said "mechanical" issues played a role. That makes me think of a broken rail, broken frog, broken axle.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:47:25 AM by signalmaintainer »
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2020, 06:12:29 PM »
The ending is pretty great.  :)

I guess the people watching the show took up a collection for coffee - donuts and pizza for the workers ... also one of the BNSF was in live chat at the VRF site ..