Author Topic: Power Cab and PSX-AR tripping system  (Read 636 times)

MILWcoastdiv

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Power Cab and PSX-AR tripping system
« on: September 06, 2020, 01:50:57 PM »
Hi all, down a bit of a rabbit hole here on this beautiful day (should be outside working on yard).  I'm working on my N scale layout with Power Cab.  The PSX-AR is old, probably 10 years old and used it quite a bit on a previous HO layout.  On my current n scale layout, a few weeks ago I hooked up the PSX-AR and seemed to work.  Seemed a bit glitchy but it worked none the less.  Disconnected and laid down a bunch of new track, tested with regular DC and DCC, everthing works but the reverse sections obviously.  I updated the Power Cab to the newest version (1.65B) and then tried installing and using the PSX-AR and now ever since the locos don't trip the flashing red LED but dims the two other LEDS and shuts down the DCC.  I did the functional test as outlined by Tony's Train Exchange where you hook directly to booster and  and jump the outputs and it works perfect (Passes test).  I isolated the reverse loop away from the rest of the layout to eliminate something wrong elsewhere on layout, staggered the gaps and use the 1-2 jumper for 1.27 amps, no good.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mario

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
Re: Power Cab and PSX-AR tripping system
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 02:11:31 PM »
In spite of the fact that you set the jumpers for 1.27 amps, it sounds like the trip current might be too high.  Is there a setting where it ignores the jumpers and takes it's trip current from a CV setting?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
Re: Power Cab and PSX-AR tripping system
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »
Look at your wall wart for the PowerCab and see what it says for amps.  Most are actually lower than the 2 amp rating of the PowerCab and will shut off the system well below 2 amps.  Some of the old ones I think were around 1.3 or 1.4 amps.  Mine is only 1.44 amp, and it came with a v1.65 version system (not a v1.65b system).  I think some of the v1.25 systems had even lower amp ratings for their wall warts.  There is now a 1.75 amp version. 

The jumpers for trip current should work fine on the PSX. They are easier to verify than the CVs, and you can't get lower than 1.27 amp with CVs anyway.