Author Topic: Atlas Shay with Loksound Select Micro V4  (Read 3976 times)

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: Atlas Shay with Loksound Select Micro V4
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
As I was scrolling down through the photos I almost had a heart attach when I saw those incorrectly wired caps.  :scared:  Then came a moment of relief when  I saw one of the captions and additional photos.  Crisis averted!   8)

Nice job!

^^^^^^^Me too, exactly.

Yes and very nice job and the speaker enclosure is definitely “thinking outside the proverbial box” 👍
Steve

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »
As I was scrolling down through the photos I almost had a heart attach when I saw those incorrectly wired caps.  :scared:  Then came a moment of relief when  I saw one of the captions and additional photos.  Crisis averted!   8)

Nice job!

Sorry for the scare, haha.  Mine was more of an, awwwwwe crap, reaction.

dpharris

• Respect: +9
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 08:00:17 PM »
I am slowly working on duplicating this amazing install!  It is such a tight fit, everywhere. 

Does the keep-alive cap-positive go to the Blue connection, and the cap-negative go to the pad on the other side to the blue (ground I assume)?

I got a resin 3d-printer for Christmas, so I printed a speaker enclosure for my 8x10 speaker, which seems to work well.  At the moment it is a simple triangular shape, like the OP's, but I might try to expand it a bit, since this is possible with the 3d-printer. 

David

dpharris

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 07:47:42 AM »
I finally finished my install with a resin printed speaker-box.  I will post some pictures when this board allows me to do so (I need sufficient posts).  Man that is some tight install .. many thanks for this thread, and for showing it is even possible! 

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 08:24:06 PM »
Awesome! Cant wait to see you pictures. I’m so glad I was able to help someone else accomplish this as well.

Craig

dpharris

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 03:15:13 AM »
Here is a short video of the n-scale Atlas Shay with a ESU Loksound v4 micro sound decoder installed.  It uses an 8x12mm speaker in a custom 3d-resin printed speaker enclosure, with the speaker flat above the worm gear. 

dpharris

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 03:27:11 AM »
+1
Here are some screen grabs of the speaker enclosure from different views:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
The design was done in openscad, and is parameterized so that the wall thickness can be adjusted.  The half-cylinder cutout is for the drive worm-gear.  There are other cutouts for the truck tabs, and a cutout for a led+resistor on the rear-face.  The speaker inserts face down into the top rectangular hole. 

While the design takes some time, the resin 3d printer is perfect for this application.  This install is extremely tight, and this enclosure just misses the flywheel.  It leaves room for the two caps for keep-alive on the one side.  The decoder rests on the top of the speaker. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:31:45 AM by dpharris »

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 02:52:31 PM »
That is amazing.  Bravo!

Sigh . . . I probably need to learn how to do 3D printing . . .

John C.

dpharris

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 04:14:53 PM »
+1
Apropro of 3D printing.  I had discovered that I had lost parts of my drive shafts, probably at a show with rough handling. 

I did manage to buy some replacements parts, but the sliding connector, indicated by the red arrow, is not available. 

I did manage to 3D print one on my 3D resin printer.  The piece is a rectangular tube, with a pair of tongs on one end which inserts into a ring to form a universal coupling.  It took some trial and error to get it to slide, but maintain its rotation grip. 

It is a little over sized, but ok, I think, and certainly better than nothing. 

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »
This is fantastic!!!  Thank you for taking it to the next level. Well done.

Craig