Author Topic: September MT Releases:  (Read 4943 times)

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
Re: September MT Releases:
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 01:32:27 PM »
+2
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tichy decals.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »
So that we don't get into another "icebreaker" errr...."conversation", can anyone supply info on the Southern and SP "boxcar/hopper" cars?  The description supplied by MT begins "In the early twentieth century there was an increasing need to transport dry goods in bulk by rail."  But these are clearly 1950s or later.  In fact, shop dates on the SP car are 1953 and on the Southern car 1968.  I am aware of "drop bottom" boxcars and stockcars going back to the late 19th or early 20th century, but these are clearly not those.  Appear to be a MTL "standard" PS-1 boxcar modified with hopper bays and hatches.  For my own modeling purposes, I could use the SP car if the 1953 date is accurate.  The 1942 build date on the car would indicate that the PS-1 is "standing in" for a 1937 or 1937 modified boxcar.  But I might let that slide just to have the conversation piece sitting on a siding near a grain elevator among a bunch of boxcars and a couple covered hoppers (my planned layout is 1956 when most grain was still moving in boxcars).

The copy was meant to describe the practice not the specific cars...sorry for any confusion....hoping to do the early stuff as well if these work out. 

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 05:27:03 PM »
The copy was meant to describe the practice not the specific cars...sorry for any confusion....hoping to do the early stuff as well if these work out.

I will pick up the SP car due to the uniqueness and it is right in my era.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

jcox3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 06:11:57 PM »
+1
Are the TBOXes delayed?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 06:20:43 PM »
No worries Joe.  I think I'm with CBQ Fan in the previous post.  It's an interesting car and is era appropriate (for me)- plus if the next layout goes as planned, there will be a focus on food processing and distribution (because I have too many reefers and boxcars)- so a "sugar car" is plausible.  Based on what I've read, the SP cars probably never traveled very far from sugar processing in California- but I think it would be an interesting scene to have a car like that on a track next to an early airslide.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
Wine tank , Saltair tank , cornsugar tank , and both hopper/boxes . Why didn't they call it a Bopper or a Hopex  I might reletter the Southern to W&LG . Or what about grain boxcars with a hopper bottom ? Is that a thing ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:10:56 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 09:15:05 PM »
Wine tank , Saltair tank , and both hopper/boxes . Why didn't they call it a Bopper or a Hopex  I might reletter the Southern to W&LG . Or what about grain boxcars with a hopper bottom ? Is that a thing ?
Most of the examples I know of are from early in the 20th Century- prior to the manufacture of covered hoppers.  Although as the SP car makes evident, some conversions came much later.  The early cars seem to utilize drop doors (like a drop bottom gondola) rather than hopper style.

In the early 1900s, both ATSF and MILW (and I am sure others) built stock cars with hatches in the roof and drop doors in the floor.  ATSF are even referred to as "Caswells" because they used the same type of drop door hardware as the Caswell gondola.  Those were built in 1906 and ran until the 1960s.  Westerfield makes models of both the ATSF and MILW cars in HO.  When used to haul loose loads (not sure how often they were used for grain, but various "covered hopper" loads before there were covered hoppers.  The insides of the car would be lined with sheets of plywood to block the gaps between boards.

CP had at least a few- or maybe more than a few, not sure if these were one-offs or classes of cars, wood boxcars equipped this way (see 139002, 230000 and 288680 at http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/cpr_rolling/two.htm
I wonder if PRR equipped any of their stock cars this way, it could be the perfect use for the BLI stock car that already has the "plywood" panels installed inside- just add some hatches and drop doors, although not sure that I would pay extra for "grain shifting sounds."
Tom D.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »
Are the TBOXes delayed?

According to the MTL site, they black TTX logo version is already out, but I'm not seeing it in any of the retailers.
Under the streets of Los Angeles

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »
I haven't seen them anywhere either. I'm thinking if you want some you better buy them immediately because they're going to sell out pretty quick.

drgw12

• Respect: +14
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 07:49:54 AM »
N Scale Supply mentioned a production delay on Micro Trains whole September production. They say to expect product mid month.

Steven

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 08:14:04 AM »
The delays may be extended, with the Oregon wildfires reaching Talent and Medford last night. Latest word an hour ago is that The MTL plant was spared but more will be known later today.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
+7
 Time to stop worrying over ride height and instead say a prayer for MTL employees and their families.
Tom D.

cthart

• Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
The delays may be extended, with the Oregon wildfires reaching Talent and Medford last night. Latest word an hour ago is that The MTL plant was spared but more will be known later today.
I heard directly from a guy at MTL:
MTL factory ok. Fire didn't jump Talent Ave. Houses on other side of street did not make it

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
Latest word from a friend at MTL is that they are all OK.