Author Topic: Flange Squeal Sound Effects?  (Read 1840 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Flange Squeal Sound Effects?
« on: August 19, 2020, 10:06:16 AM »
+1
Has anyone ever done or seen anything replicating the flange squeal sound effect of a passing train?   I did find this one link of someone using an Arduino: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=518716.0

My thought is to embed light-sensitive detectors in the track at locations where the sounds would be appropriate: ie, sharp curves and turnouts.  Two sensors in one location could give the Arduino a way to estimate the speed of the passing train, and adjust the playback speed and pitch accordingly.

One key thing is that the playback would have to be low volume and rather subtle -- it would be easy to overdo and thus ruin the effect.

Doable?  Too far fetched?  Other?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7949
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Flange Squeal Sound Effects?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 10:25:37 AM »
I love the idea.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »
+2!  It's the one piece of the puzzle that's noticeably missing, if you added DCC and sound to your motive power.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
Most sound decoders have a flange squeal effect, but that follows the locomotive. You're right that it should be location specific, but I feel its a slippery slope to the need to add sound to the whole train/layout.

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »
There is a company out of Colorado, that has a sound car decoder. just don't know how it would fit in smaller scales. 
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 12:13:01 PM »
Has anyone ever done or seen anything replicating the flange squeal sound effect of a passing train?   I did find this one link of someone using an Arduino: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=518716.0

My thought is to embed light-sensitive detectors in the track at locations where the sounds would be appropriate: ie, sharp curves and turnouts.  Two sensors in one location could give the Arduino a way to estimate the speed of the passing train, and adjust the playback speed and pitch accordingly.

One key thing is that the playback would have to be low volume and rather subtle -- it would be easy to overdo and thus ruin the effect.

Doable?  Too far fetched?  Other?

Thanks,
Ed

Definitely do-able with current technology. However, assembling the components into a working thing may be challenging (some folks enjoy this sort of challenge though  :D).

Love the concept!

Mark

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »
Soundtraxx makes decoders to be installed in rolling stock. They can be programmed to make all sorts of sounds (including flange squeals and other wheel related noises). He put few of them (2 or 3) in his UP passenger train.  While  the noises are random they are speed dependent, and they bring another level to auditory realism.  That train going by sounds really good.
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 02:14:42 PM »
Why install in rolling stock.  Sounds like a static speaker with motion sensors scenario, since the squeals are relative to places when in use.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
Why install in rolling stock.  Sounds like a static speaker with motion sensors scenario, since the squeals are relative to places when in use.

This. MP3 players are super-cheap. Set one up with a block detector or proximity sensor.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »
I love the idea.
Tune into the live feed from Horseshoe Curve and see how it takes for you to turn down the volume when a train passes by.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »

Because that is what those decoders are designed for.  They are addressed same as the loco, and it is really cool to hear the sound move with the train.  I guess you have to witness it  in-person.  It is really a neat effect..
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »
Well, if we're dreaming, why not mobile decoders for brakes and flat spots on wheels sound effects and stationary decoders in appropriate locations for flange squeals, frogs, and crossings sound effects ?

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
Because that is what those decoders are designed for.  They are addressed same as the loco, and it is really cool to hear the sound move with the train.  I guess you have to witness it  in-person.  It is really a neat effect..

But, as noted, squeals are usually relative to the location. Now, I get what you're saying, to have the sound move with the train, very cool and all that (kinda reminds me of the "oh wow" reaction to surround sound). First, the movement won't be far, assuming it's a short tight curve causing the squeals; and second, there should be a sound decoder almost every other car, right? Wouldn't it be odd if only one car, or just the loco, squeals? So, unless you have deep pockets and a lot of spare time, I should think the more economical solution is to install a sound generator (or maybe a couple) in the desired area, with detectors, etc. No?

Well, if we're dreaming, why not mobile decoders for brakes and flat spots on wheels sound effects and stationary decoders in appropriate locations for flange squeals, frogs, and crossings sound effects ?

Oh, I can imagine there are some modelers who have already done all of that--and perhaps much more. As the OP has pointed out, this is all too easily overdone. "Slippery slope" indeed!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 04:08:51 PM by DKS »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7949
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
Tune into the live feed from Horseshoe Curve and see how it takes for you to turn down the volume when a train passes by.

Oh. Hold on right there. I KNOW ALL ABOUT flange squeal there.

I learned about it the hard way while camping out up there with the CRHS many years ago.

@GonzoCRFan  and I might've stayed up way too late bullshitting and drinking  too much Knob Creek to be awoken at 6am by the sound of a couple Dash 9s in full dynamic brake with a train of nice squealing stack cars behind them.

I remember sticking my hand out from under my blanket and blindly flipping a number of particularly loud containers off.

Ahhhh youth...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »
But, as noted, squeals are usually relative to the location. Now, I get what you're saying, to have the sound move with the train, very cool and all that (kinda reminds me of the "oh wow" reaction to surround sound). First, the movement won't be far, assuming it's a short tight curve causing the squeals; and second, there should be a sound decoder almost every other car, right? Wouldn't it be odd if only one car, or just the loco, squeals? So, unless you have deep pockets and a lot of spare time, I should think the more economical solution is to install a sound generator (or maybe a couple) in the desired area, with detectors, etc. No?

Actually I find it quite realistic. The squeals are brief (not the loud long squeals), and so are occasional rail clacks, and other sounds.  All the sounds are at very low (almost background noise level) volume. And just 2 or 3 decoders per train still provide a full effect. The sounds seem to emanate from the entire train. You would really have to experience it in person to get a good idea of how it sounds.  When my friend ran it for me for the first time, I was very impressed, and even after hearing it many times, I'm still impressed.  That train doesn't run regularly during the ops sessions - he occasionally brings it out.
. . . 42 . . .