Author Topic: EP-2 bi-polar E-1 in the Experimental scheme (1st Hiawatha scheme) help  (Read 449 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
I'm making a Bi-polar in the first non-black scheme.  I call it the experimental scheme since it is the only one.

To date, after extensive research, I can only find 4 photos of this loco- and not all of them are helpful.
Here is what I have.

1.  B&W ski train.  Not very helpful.  In the Hundmann book by Noel Holley, p116.

2.  B&W, common shot.  from internet.  Also in Holley's Hundmann book.  Credit says this shot is at a Milwaukee library.  This shot is helpful.

3.  B&W off ebay.  Helpful for nose info.

4.  Only color shot I've seen.   Helpful, but small.   In Noel Holley's book for NJ International, Classic Power 2: Milw Rd Bi-polar Electrics, p19.

And that's it.  Unable to find any more.
Do you have a shot in your Milw Rd books?  Or collection?

Aside from getting the paint scheme exactly correct, I need more info because I don't see a horn anywhere on these shots.  Shot #2 above has a nub on the A end a bit behind the headlight which is exactly where the horn will go- because I've seen a horn in that spot on #E-1 in the Cigar scheme.  So I'm planning on putting a horn there.

But I cannot see a horn on the B end in any of these poor shots nor on any shot of E-1 in the cigar scheme.  Could this have had only one horn?  I find that hard to believe- especially since it would have had a steam whistle on each end in the black scheme.

And my research shows 3 possible horn locations on the EP-2, but horn seem to be scarce on #E1!

Any research help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

BTW-  I'm not interested at all in paintings, drawings, and painted models.  I've already seen a lot and there are a LOT of errors on them (probably because there is so very little info on these).  I'm only interested in prototype info.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:22:54 PM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
Re: EP-2 bi-polar E-1 in the Experimental scheme (1st Hiawatha scheme) help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
I can't help, but I can empathize.  I don't know if other railroads are the same, but I've found Milwaukee Road is almost impossible to model perfectly.  I thought the Joes were bad but when I started doing the BoxCabs - oi!  It's like no two are the same.  Just when you think you've seen every variation out there, you find a picture of a unit that's different.  You learn a lot about the men that maintained these things - MILW Rocky Mountain Division guys were definitely "can do" and "get it done" when you see what they've done to their locomotives through the years.  That's what makes them unique.  So - what's the story with E1s horn or whistle?  It's hard to say.  And just when you find out, you'll find a picture that shows they only ran it that way for two months over the summer of '56.   :D  I do hope you find better resources though on the paint scheme.  At least those were fairly consistent.  Sort of.

Mike