Author Topic: Radio controlled Tomytec Toyota 1:150  (Read 2584 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Radio controlled Tomytec Toyota 1:150
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 04:11:44 AM »
             Wowzers! Is all I can say. The follow on you tubes show some other sizes of RC cars some factory built some modified.                  Nate Goodman. (Nato).               

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 08:07:43 AM »
MEH, no active suspension...  :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:

Saw this two days ago posted on FB.  I think DKS posted other works by the same person in a different thread.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »
I can grasp the mechanics...then he gets into the IC, the encoder, and soldering human hairs to the chip....and yeah, we're done.   Ya lost me.

What also impressed me the most was the granularity of control for speed and steering.   Having three sons, one seriously addicted to programming the Lego RCX block, I that's pretty amazing.

What you really want to hone in on is the battery/control here, there's the way to finally conquer the contact issues with both DC and DCC.

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
I'm stunned.  I've animated lots of complicated stuff (see the dumper in my sig) and programmed Arduinos, but this is orders of magnitude beyond my skill level.  I suppose he puts it on a phone recharge pad to juice the battery too.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:59:30 AM by NtheBasement »
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
I suppose he puts it on a phone recharge pad to juice the battery too.

WHich you could disguise on the layout all sorts of ways - garage slabs, gas station pump islands, business parking lots . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »
Cool again (seen this sort of thing many times at this point) - incredible skill!

So, the ops crew just got a bit larger, now you've got 10 or 20 more people just to drive the trucks and cars! :trollface:

Mark

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 12:24:50 PM »
Astonishing.  I suppose it won't be long before we can buy that sort of thing off the rack, too.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
+1
Yes, this model is amazing and the video is very informative. As far as wireless charging goes, it would be nice, but the problem is the size of the coil that needs to be present in the device being charged.  At least with the technology as it exists today, there is no room in that car for that coil.

Utilization of battery power is appropriate for this model, but as I see it, doesn't translate well to model locomotive.  Even if someone came out with a battery which could fit in a model train, it will need space inside the model. LiPo batteries are very light, so removing part of the heavy metal chassis and replacing it with a light weight battery will decrease the models pulling ability.  We had a lengthy discussion about using modern rechargeable batteries in N scale models a while back.  Not trying to be a party-pooper - just being realistic.

Also, as far as the control system goes, I like to point out that the subject line of this thread is incorrect.  It is not a "radio controlled" model, but "remote controlled" model. Either abbreviates to "RC".  This model receives commands via an IR (Infrared) beam, like a TV remote controls, or even some model train command systems use. It is a line-of-sight  communication.
. . . 42 . . .

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 02:44:07 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!...

To put this into perspective.. B-Train Shorty, is an N scale model in Lionel shortened style of a regular N scale model.

Vs.

He is building his model on the short half end of that, using 1 truck.

~Ian

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:04:38 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

Lucas in Alaska

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »
Wow, I usually won’t watch a 12 minute video but I watched the whole thing. That is impressive.

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »
+1
N scale Astin Martin DB5, N scale country estate house, nice N scale garage, and a country lane on a hollow core door.

Skyfall

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 08:56:39 PM »
Peteski beat me t it. While impressive, it isn't radio controlled but infra red controlled. As soon as I saw the name of the thread I said 'no way it's radio'. Still its very impressive...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »
Peteski beat me t it. While impressive, it isn't radio controlled but infra red controlled. As soon as I saw the name of the thread I said 'no way it's radio'. Still its very impressive...

Yes, it would be pretty hard to fit a radio receiver, and its antenna, in such a tiny model.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 03:43:00 PM »
@cfritschle , do you happen to know what model they used for this conversion?  I have someone on another forum question the scale of it.  I figured you probably know the exact model.
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 11:20:26 PM »
@cfritschle , do you happen to know what model they used for this conversion?  I have someone on another forum question the scale of it.  I figured you probably know the exact model.

Peter,

It is the 2003-08 Toyota Crown from Car Collection 10.  I think the builder probably picked that car because it is larger than most of the TomyTec 1:150 scale automobiles.

Here a comparison photo of the TomyTec Nissan Teana from Car Collection 10, a Wiking VW Passat, and the TomyTec Toyota Crown from Car Collection 10.

One would need to have a 1:160 scale model about the size of the Busch Sprinter van to have a similar sized "platform" as the one the TomyTec Toyota Crown provided.  Nevertheless, I was very impressed with what he was able to accomplish.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:23:31 PM by cfritschle »
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/