Author Topic: I think I have this figured out.  (Read 2776 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: I think I have this figured out.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 12:58:16 AM »
 :scared: that looks like a 13 hour print.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 12:59:25 AM »
What program put those supports on?

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 01:08:02 AM »
What program put those supports on?

I drew them as part of the STL file. Everything one of the auto support programs got lost trying to do this and came up with some crazy ideas for supports. I wasn't about to manually put all those supports in a system that had no ruler or way to keep them consistent so I drew them as part of the stl file. The supports and the car body are separate pieces in the drawing so I can stick the other bodies on the same support. I mocked up the longest car so I could make sure it would fit and the angle it needed to be at, then used that as the template for this car.
Tony Hines

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 01:20:48 AM »
:scared: that looks like a 13 hour print.

11 hours because I have been slowly backing down the print time to get smaller details to print without blooming too much. Used the eyelets on the end of these K-rails to play around with it. Still couldn't get them to print with a hole but the pieces fit together end to end without any issues and no undersize, oversize adjustments on the drawing. Just hoping it doesn't bite me on this big print. (2717 layers, 349,000 kb file.)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:25:41 AM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 02:35:00 AM »
+1
I guess a passenger car won't fit, but I have been doing everything flat. This is a HOn30 loco cab. I saved the supports and primered the cab to show the detail better:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7u2uzZDQnK5XuMu89

This is a HOn30 loco:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qfR6j1N5JevfVcL9

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »
+1
Fast forward, 11 hours later.....

The roof vents were too fine to reproduce, will need to fatten them up a bit. The detente for the floor to snap into is perfect. A little wavyness around the baggage doors, I will need to add side to side bracing in the raft. Forgot to grab the side trim in the model but I may end up adding that as a separate part so I can sand the sides smooth, depending on how paint looks on this. The roof looks great, sides have a little bit of layering visible. Windows are better than I expected.

I may thicken the body up a bit also. I modeled it like it would be injection molded and it is a bit thin an fragile from what I can feel. May be a little scary removing it from the supports.

All in all, I call it a 100% successful test print.
Tony Hines

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
Fast forward, 11 hours later.....
The roof vents were too fine to reproduce, will need to fatten them up a bit. The detente for the floor to snap into is perfect. A little wavyness around the baggage doors, I will need to add side to side bracing in the raft. Forgot to grab the side trim in the model but I may end up adding that as a separate part so I can sand the sides smooth, depending on how paint looks on this. The roof looks great, sides have a little bit of layering visible. Windows are better than I expected.

I may thicken the body up a bit also. I modeled it like it would be injection molded and it is a bit thin an fragile from what I can feel. May be a little scary removing it from the supports.

All in all, I call it a 100% successful test print.

First print?  Damn, that turned out pretty nice! Good call on  the side thickness.  I had the same mindset when printing my caboose, and had to fatten up the walls.  I also added internal supports horizontally.  that helped immensely with straightness of the sides.  Is there little wave around the windows, or is that the image? 

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
+2
Only wave is around the baggage door and a very slight flare at the end of the car on the baggage door end. Everything else is amazingly dead straight.
Tony Hines

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
I'd try printing it flat .. if it will fit the plate .. I've printed a caboose shell flat and it worked ok .. well .. I need to fix the model itself .. thicker walls - etc

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
+1
I would rather print it flat but it is too big to fit. If I keep this up I may splurge for a bigger model when they become a little easier to come by. I thought about standing it up verticle but then the roof would show the layering much more prominent and the coaches will be too long, they just barely fit at an angle. I may try printing another test with the car skewed on the print bed to see if that helps hide layering, although I have no complaints as is, but it could always be better.
Tony Hines

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 05:25:21 PM »
+1
On to the next car. I need to replace the film on the reservoir before I run final prints. Also may try skewing the car a couple of degrees on the base to help clean up the vertical lines that are creeping in. Have the raft/supports figured out, need to clean up the verticle lines. Not sure where there are coming from.

Tony Hines

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
X and y deflection from raising and lowering the model in the fluid. Yo cannot assume that the part is fully rigid at that depth. It is still uncured and " soft".  You could try widening the base under the long end and adding angled supports to the other supports under only the long end.

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 06:08:51 PM »
The vertical lines aren't from material flex. The horizontal most definitely are. I think the vertical lines are coming from imperfections in the film on the bottom of the tank. I traced a few of them all the way from the base through the body and to the roof. Final prints will be on fresh film. Once I get a little farther along with the observation, I am going to try a test with it skewed on the base so that nothing is at right angles to the pixles on the screen. I want to see if the anti-aliasing will help smooth things a bit. The roof is perfect on the last print I did, it shows no layering or textrue of any kind except the defect in the film that came through so things that are not exactly in line with the screen seem to print better..

Tony Hines