Author Topic: What's the difference between Atlas GP35's (Japan and China versions)  (Read 923 times)

Bart1701

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
I have an older Atlas GP35. According to Spookshow's site, the first version was produced by Kato (Japan) for Atlas, and the second version was done by Atlas (China).

According to Spookshow's site: "Atlas re-released these models as part of their "Atlas Classic" line in 1997 (manufactured in China). Normally this line consisted of redesigned/retooled remakes of the earlier Kato-made models. However, as far as I can tell, these "new" models are virtually identical to the older ones. About the only difference I can detect is that the PCB's are green instead of white".

I have one of these that says "Kato" on the fuel tank, so I am assuming this is the first version.

The Atlas site shows parts diagrams for both versions, and many of the parts have different part numbers for each version.

The main reason for this post is that I am doing some work on this locomotive and need a PCB light board.  They had been removed at one time and I can only find one of them (a white one - which again supports that I have the 1st version), but I cannot find the other one.

Outside of the different colors of the boards between the 2 versions, does anyone know if there was any other difference between the 2?  I'll be contacting Atlas on Monday to order a light board and I assume they would know the answer, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks,
Bart

P.S. - If anyone has any of these light boards that they are not using, let me know!

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
  • Respect: +74
Re: What's the difference between Atlas GP35's (Japan and China versions)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 07:10:01 AM »
+2
To the best of my knowledge, the Atlas-Kato is Split frame and the Atlas China is a light board. I am unsure of when the light board model was tooled.
Atlas Kato on the left of the attached photo and Atlas China on the right.

Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

I want an N Scale GE U33/34/36C!

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +317
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:51:17 AM »
I have a pair of light boards from an atlas gp40 that might work for you.

Size is 17 x 8.8 x 0.6mm

Pm me if interested. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

Bart1701

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the Atlas-Kato is Split frame and the Atlas China is a light board. I am unsure of when the light board model was tooled.

According to Spookshow's site, there have been 3 versions: The one done by Atlas-Kato, the 1st one done by Atlas-China, and a later one done by Atlas.
   - "Atlas re-released these models as part of their "Atlas Classic" line in 1997"
   - "Revised (DCC-Ready) versions of these models came out in 2006. "

I think your photos show the 1st (Atlas-Kato) and 3rd (Atlas) versions. The 1st version has the white PCB boards like your photo shows.

Per Spookshow: "Atlas re-released these models as part of their "Atlas Classic" line in 1997 (manufactured in China). Normally this line consisted of redesigned/retooled remakes of the earlier Kato-made models. However, as far as I can tell, these "new" models are virtually identical to the older ones. About the only difference I can detect is that the PCB's are green instead of white".

Thanks,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:07:56 AM by Bart1701 »

Bart1701

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »
Here is a photo from Spookshow's site of the 2nd version. Green PCB boards, but still has the split frame.

Bart
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:09:04 AM by Bart1701 »

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »
+1
light boards same.

Kato is a little quieter (I think their truck tolerances are a bit tighter than the Chinese version).

Kato runs like a rocket- Atlas slower.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +448
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 12:52:11 PM »
Wait...there seems to be some confusion. There's a definite difference. The last version has a single, full-length lightboard and not the separate PCB's.

I'm not talking about the sound version either. I just did a custom sound install in a pre-sound version that had a full-length light board (like the loco on the right in the photo by EL3632).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:21:42 PM by tehachapifan »

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
the atlas classic was atlas using all the kato parts up. then they made a new frame, mech. and shells

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »
Let's go back to the original posted question- re lights.

The old lights are ALL crap (by today's standards).

Atlas/Kato/ Japan version 1  lights are incandescent.  Not very bright except at high rocket speed.

Atlas.China version two  LED lights were an ugly green/yellow.  Light board will fit, but ugly.

In my humble opinion, you would do better kitbashing a board if you have the skills.
Put a modern sunny/white LED with proper resistor on there.  Acquire a board that will fit and then unsolder the components and add new components.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +448
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »
the atlas classic was atlas using all the kato parts up. then they made a new frame, mech. and shells

The box to my SP version, the one I mentioned above that had the single, full-length light board, Has "Atlas Classic" on the box insert.

I did buy this loco second-hand, so I suppose it's remotely possible that someone swapped the Atlas/Kato-style frame with one that has a full-length light board, but I highly doubt it.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:41:18 PM by tehachapifan »

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 02:53:51 PM »
2006 was the same as the kato but with green light boards. 2008 is the dcc ready all new meah.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +670
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 08:39:53 AM »
Couldn't you use some of the RS1 light boards? I think these used to golden white LEDs.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +920
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 11:09:30 AM »
If this is the board you're looking for - ID'd as '77A', it's a leftover and you can have it, PM me.

I'd taken the boards out of my Kato Atlas GP35 years ago as it's a trailing unit in a consist.

As I have an all-Kato lashup, the Kato units MU effortlessly with the six-axles while the Atlas Classic is noisier, pulls less, and doesn't speed match.

The Kato one I have is just whisper quiet.

But I also agree that I've put in the micro golden-white LED's along with the proper dropping resistor on the older boards for a much brighter, concentrated headlight effect.  I'm not a DCC user.  You can buy wired ones by the bagful on the auction site.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:11:30 AM by randgust »

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »

Looks like the older one has a lot more metal, so it should pull better.  Would be interested in knowing the weights of these two locos.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +920
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
Light board was mailed out to OP today.

And on weight - give me a minute, because I do have both.   The Kato one is active and the Atlas-China one is now retired to the display case.

As I'm a tractive effort nut, that sort of tips you off here.  And it's not just the frame weight, the coefficient of traction was higher, which is a typical Kato v. Atlas China result.