Author Topic: MT Solar cars  (Read 1240 times)

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
MT Solar cars
« on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
Anyone else collecting the MT Solar System cars with or without lights ?  I don't purchase too many collective series cars but these caught my eye. So far Sun, Mercury and Venus. Looks like one per month.  Wondering, Awhile back they said Pluto was no longer called a planet. Think they'll make Pluto anyway.  I grew up knowing Pluto counted as a planet and i still count it as that.

I'm still looking for the FT diesel and caboose for the Battle Of Midway set.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
Re: MT Solar cars
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
They could do the little "ice dwarfs" (Pluto and Eris and probably some more by now) as refrigerator trailers on a flatcar.

And then a "moons of Jupiter" gondola and as many "asteroid" hoppers as your locomotive can haul.
Tom D.

Curtis Kyger

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »
+1
Maybe Pluto will be a Z-Scale car

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +317
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 03:57:48 PM »
Maybe Pluto will be a Z-Scale car
Ha. Funny. They could do Pluto in a series of Disney character’s.
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +246
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
What will MTL do if the elusive "Planet 9" (that is hypothesized because of the strange orbit configuration of several of those Pluto-like "objects" in the outer solar system) does turn out to be a "primordial black hole" about the size of a baseball? (See https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200712105456.htm or talk to Dr. Hinshaw.)

At least they won't have to light that car!  But depicting a black hole the size of a baseball in N scale would only be  a black dot  about 1/64" in diameter on the side of the car.  It would look more like a paint flaw than a picture.

(OK, this COVID hermit needs to get his mind off wandering the 'Net and back to work on a layout!)

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +468
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 06:09:52 PM »
I'm still looking for the FT diesel and caboose for the Battle Of Midway set.
https://www.silvercreekcollectables.com/getproduct.php?pid=872

propmeup1

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »
Thank you,  I just stumble over that a few min ago.  Oh Canada

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 02:00:47 AM »
For what it's worth, the International Astronomical Union declared that Pluto was a "Dwarf Planet", and that Dwarf Planets are NOT "Planets".   Most astronomers that study planets have ignored them, for two reasons.

First, the IAU doesn't speak for all astronomers, and the planet-studiers tend to consider anything big enough to have active geology, past or present, a planet.  That includes the Moon, a lot of other Moons, and the dwarf planets.

Secondly, at least in English, a "dwarf something" is still a "something".  Dwarf trees are still trees, dwarf humans are still humans.  So, a dwarf planet should still be a planet, just a new type of planet.

Most non-scientists, in the few polls taken, still consider it a planet.  For most people, if it's round, doesn't make it's own light, and orbits a star, its some type of planet!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +246
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 09:29:26 AM »
For what it's worth, the International Astronomical Union declared that Pluto was a "Dwarf Planet", and that Dwarf Planets are NOT "Planets".   Most astronomers that study planets have ignored them, for two reasons.

First, the IAU doesn't speak for all astronomers, and the planet-studiers tend to consider anything big enough to have active geology, past or present, a planet.  That includes the Moon, a lot of other Moons, and the dwarf planets.

Secondly, at least in English, a "dwarf something" is still a "something".  Dwarf trees are still trees, dwarf humans are still humans.  So, a dwarf planet should still be a planet, just a new type of planet.

Most non-scientists, in the few polls taken, still consider it a planet.  For most people, if it's round, doesn't make it's own light, and orbits a star, its some type of planet!

I also wonder what the name game will look like if we ever see one of those "expelled" planets (that are supposedly completely ejected from planetary systems around forming stars as their planetary systems develop).  Something the size of Neptune just might come sailing through our own solar system some day (actually year) and disappear into interstellar space again. Hopefully not gravitationally disrupting our own orderly planetary system in the process.

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
All this talk about planets and astronomy etc etc got me searching for the singularity in my garage again. This is where my layout and modeling workshop are, and lots of small stuff seams to disappear across some event horizon never to be seen again.  Still haven’t found it.
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

propmeup1

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »
Well in any case my Venus car arrived last night.  So this means we wait till next Jan to have the complete set, less Pluto.   I should add these cars are very heavy. I take a measurement later and post but, with eight cars on any grade you'll need a few horses.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +272
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
+1
Dwarf Planets Matter.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 05:03:45 PM »
Dwarf Planets Matter.
Yes they do.
Hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to work we go......
MT could do another series of these.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:05:16 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 01:59:39 AM »
Maletrain:  The official name for an interstellar planet, if one came through the Solar System, would be #I/(name), where the # is the discovery number.  So far we have two:  1I/'Oumuamua and 2I/Borisov.

Odds are that something the size of Neptune probably wouldn't do too much damage.  The Solar System is a big place, and it's likely to come in at a fairly high angle to the planets' orbits.  Unless we got very unlucky, and it made a close pass by one of the inner planets, it probably wouldn't change much.
N Kalanaga
Be well

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3750
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 04:03:29 AM »
The Solar System is a big place...

“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse