Author Topic: Repurposing 5double-bed bar/lounge from Broadway Limited set  (Read 997 times)

williek

• Respect: +7
I ended up with extra bar lounge cars from the Kato Broadway Limited sets and am wondering about repainting them for other roads. But I can’t find photos of similar cars on other railroads. Anyone point me toward any eastern or western line with a similar car?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Repurposing 5double-bed bar/lounge from Broadway Limited set
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:27:20 AM »
I could be completely wrong here- not a PRR expert, but at least in some photos, the window arrangement of the Kato Broadway's 5Dbr-lounge cars looks similar to the PRR plan 4131 "Falls" 6 DBR-Lounge cars.  Easiest conversion might be to those PRR cars for use in another train.

Larry Goolsby's book on ACL lists one of the Falls cars operating on the Southwind (Chicago-Miami via PRR, L&N, ACL and FEC) in the 1960s, and it is certainly plausible one may have run on NY-Florida PRR-RFP-ACL trains as well (ACL had fluted 6 Dbr-Lounge cars, but many cars on those trains were pooled between the several roads).  These multiroad trains are colorful and give you an excuse to run several interesting cars from various roads in the same train.

Unfortunately, all the other 5-lounge and 6-lounge cars in my resources are fluted- and tend to either resemble a fluted 4140 10-6 sleeper, or are fluted observations (the C&O cars).
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

williek

• Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:47:37 AM »
Thanks greatly for the excellent information. That’s a tough thing to research so it’s great to have the benefit of experience and good memory!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
+1
“Harbor” series, correct?  That P-S plan might be specific to Pennsy. Why not just change the car name to another member in the series?

I know they occasionally stood in for New Haven “State” series 6DBR-bar/lounge cars on the Washington/Boston “Federal” consists.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 08:51:16 AM »
+1
williek,

A very useful resource that might help you compare the car to others is the handy PRR Diagram compilation provided by the prr.railfan site:
http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/
Scroll down to "passenger cars"

The Harbor cars are plan 4141 and you will find them in the "Sleeper (Pullman) car diagrams" listing.  Clicking on that will bring up a page with diagrams for almost every PRR sleeper (including sleeper lounges).
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »
Missouri Pacific had three 5 bedroom-soda fountain lounge cars used in the West Texas Eagle from St. Louis to El Paso.

Main issue would be getting decals for them (I'm pretty sure there aren't any) and they may have had portholes for the washroom windows (an MP oddity)

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
The post war Harbors where built as 2 bedroom lounges(PS2LS) but later rebuilt to 5 bedroom cars. (PS5LA)

They are very close to the post war Fall`s(PS6L) the only issue being that one window is missing and the other needs to be enlarged. After the rebuilt they where identical on the exterior to the Fall`s
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force