Author Topic: HO scale remote control truck kit  (Read 1092 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
HO scale remote control truck kit
« on: July 27, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »
+1
If this is possible why not a remote control 0-6-0T N scale locomotive?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:03:34 PM by GaryHinshaw »

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
Re: HO scale remote control truck kit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
It has been. There was an article in a recent 2mm Magazine about converting an 0-6-0T to radio control. The author's conclusion was that he was glad he had done it but had no interest in doing it again.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 02:10:38 PM »
+1
That is a really cool video . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
+1
A bunch of people are doing HOf with remote control. The controller has a dial just like a regular controller. I have no idea why they didn't do remote control instead of DCC.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
You will need to change batteries quite a few times if you want to run it for a day, say at a train show.  And you will have to constantly monitor your battery voltage so your train won't crap out at the wrong part of the layout, fouling the main.  :)

I didn't watch every minute of the video, yet, but the radios are run on 2.4GHz spread spectrum like the big RC toys?  Otherwise you'll be in for some interference.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
You could recharge off the track.

It is so spotty because no one is developing it for model trains.

MK

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 03:00:35 PM »
Absolutely of course you recharge off the track.  I would make it even easier by making a clever mechanism just to swap fully charged battery packs waiting in the wings.  My point was that given the battery density technology, you will need to change out packs a few many times during the day.  And you need to know when it's time to come in for a change otherwise you'll guarantee to have guys who wasn't paying attention and the trains just dies in the middle of the layout.

I think it can be done if people accept the limitation of battery density.

It will happen one day.  Just look at what's going on with R/C planes and helis.  I fly both.  To tell someone 10 years ago that batteries will power these things and you will get decent usable minutes out of each pack, they will laugh at you to no end.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
Just pack a few boxcar cars full of batteries (for an 0-6-0T).  Road power could use the tender. Diesel fans can use a B unit or calf unit.  Would likely require a little work with the "0-5-0" on hidden recharge trackage, but not so obvious as swap out battery packs.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
+1
So there's a bit of "Deadrail" stuff going on in the hobby. I actually attended a cool clinic on it back when you could do that type of thing. It's pretty cool.

https://www.deadrailsociety.com/

One of the challenges, in addition to the energy density of batteries, is that most of the ones you want to use are intended to be used in applications where there is circuitry designed to regulate them. In model applications that can get to be somewhat problematic, and it's the reason why you don't usually see stuff that charges off the track.

It's probably just a matter of time though.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 03:52:22 PM »
HOf is HO scale using Z gauge track the chassis are very small and run with 3 and 6 volt motors. People cram Deltang RC and batteries into them are they run all day long.

To do it in N you'd need to swap out the motors for 6v gearheads.

I bought the controller and receiver, but after waiting months for the battery to show up it was the wrong one. I do not understand charging LiPo batteries at all. 

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 04:03:21 PM »
Can you get enough motor operation at 3.7 volts to use standard power bank components?

Jason

MK

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 05:16:57 PM »
One of the challenges, in addition to the energy density of batteries, is that most of the ones you want to use are intended to be used in applications where there is circuitry designed to regulate them. In model applications that can get to be somewhat problematic, and it's the reason why you don't usually see stuff that charges off the track.

I bought the controller and receiver, but after waiting months for the battery to show up it was the wrong one. I do not understand charging LiPo batteries at all. 

Lipos are tricky animals and need a specific charging regiment.  Nicads and NiMH charge via constant current whereas things like lead acid or gel cells in emergency lighting (essential lead acid) charge via constant voltage.  Lipos combine the two with initial charging using one method and then switching to the other method towards the end of charge.

Also, lipos are very dangerous if you don't use them properly or abuse them.  (You can abuse nicads and NiMH all you want and your house won't burn down.)  Once they go, it's very hard to put the fire out as they generate their own oxygen as they burn.  Or if you drain them too low they die and will never take another charge again.  Nicads you can drain them to 0V and they will come back.

So once the battery density issue is overcome, then you need the electronics to keep them healthy.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »
Several years ago I bought (from Hobby Link Japan) an H0 model of Nissan 300Z which was remote control operated (steering and direction). I put it on a friend's H0 scale layout and caught few unsuspecting operators by surprise.  But it was just geared too high (too fast) to be driven on the H0 scale streets.  It used a tinly NiMh battery which eventually leaked out damaging some of the mechanism. I still have that model sitting on my workbench.
. . . 42 . . .