Author Topic: CR/PC/NYC ACF 3-Bay Hopper Decals  (Read 1955 times)

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1199
CR/PC/NYC ACF 3-Bay Hopper Decals
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »
I'm doing a set of decals for an ACF 3-bay covered hopper, probably Conrail class 945H. They should work on various other classes of hoppers.  I was also considering doing the PC or mabye NYC version as well..   These will be designed for T-scale/1:450 but could be re-scaled to Z or N, if I get my dim data 100% accurate--not such a big deal in T as no way to even read it.  If you have any interest in either of these or similar (I model 70's-80's Conrail era) I'll try put them together.  PM or email me (links below).  When I get the design done, they're usually back to me in a few days. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: CR/PC/NYC ACF 3-Bay Hopper Decals
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »
Are these covering cars that the Microscale set won't do in n or ho?

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:31:23 PM »
I'm doing them in T (1:450 scale) because Microscale could care less about the seven or eight of us who model in T.. and I don't know if they do any Z either, that's why I brought it up--knowing it can be difficult or impossible to get decals for these scales I figured since I'm doing the artwork anyway, I could have sets printed in Z or N if needed.  And if you have a particular scheme in N for a 3 (or 2-bay) ACF that you can't find anywhere else, lemme know, I can probably do it.

Fwiw I was thinking of doing an EL 2-bay ACF. 

Jesse 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
My question was if they're something unique in N because if they are, they might make sense to carry in the Conrail Shoppe (https://conrailshoppe.com/).

I get the need for them in smaller scales, but I think that's a niche that's too small for the CRHS to chase. If they were useful to N or HO modelers because they fill a gap, that's a different story.

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »
My question was if they're something unique in N
That's why I posted it-- I'm going to make something for myself, but figured if someone has a specific need in Z or N I will design them to cover both bases. 
I have no idea what the gaps in Microscale's coverage of N (or do they even do Z?) are.  Incidentally, the notion came to me when seeing the "orange C" PC logo on a PC covered hopper, although it was a model and I have not seen a prototype picture.. but that can be done.  Anyway, I'll be drafting this week so chime in (anyone) who has a request. 

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:12:10 AM »
Are these covering cars that the Microscale set won't do in n or ho?

Conrail covered hopper decals are not very prevalent in N scale.  There are the Highball Graphics sets:

https://highballgraphics.com/index.php/results/freight-car-1/conrail

These are pretty good, except the road number font is not totally correct.  You can substitute MS 60-1482 for the white road numbers.  For the black road numbers, you can substitute a recently available set from Circus City Decals:

https://circusdecals.ecwid.com/Conrail-CR-NYC-2-Bay-Ballast-Hopper-N-Scale-Decal-Set-p215572583

The font and size on these black road number decals is spot on and highly recommended.

Microscale set 60-856 is pretty good also, except the road number font is too small.  The road numbers are only about 9 inches tall, instead of the 11 inches that was used on 95% of Conrail covered hoppers.  The road numbers in this set are only good for H1K ballast hoppers and C13A covered hoppers.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:17:22 AM »
Conrail covered hopper decals are not very prevalent in N scale.  There are the Highball Graphics sets:

https://highballgraphics.com/index.php/results/freight-car-1/conrail

These are pretty good, except the road number font is not totally correct.  You can substitute MS 60-1482 for the white road numbers.  For the black road numbers, you can substitute a recently available set from Circus City Decals:

https://circusdecals.ecwid.com/Conrail-CR-NYC-2-Bay-Ballast-Hopper-N-Scale-Decal-Set-p215572583

The font and size on these black road number decals is spot on and highly recommended.

Microscale set 60-856 is pretty good also, except the road number font is too small.  The road numbers are only about 9 inches tall, instead of the 11 inches that was used on 95% of Conrail covered hoppers.  The road numbers in this set are only good for H1K ballast hoppers and C13A covered hoppers.  Thanks.

Jeff

Ah, well then, yet again you're a huge help Jeff. Thank you!

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »
I'm doing a set of decals for an ACF 3-bay covered hopper, probably Conrail class 945H. They should work on various other classes of hoppers.  I was also considering doing the PC or mabye NYC version as well..   These will be designed for T-scale/1:450 but could be re-scaled to Z or N, if I get my dim data 100% accurate--not such a big deal in T as no way to even read it.  If you have any interest in either of these or similar (I model 70's-80's Conrail era) I'll try put them together.  PM or email me (links below).  When I get the design done, they're usually back to me in a few days.

I would be interested in these, but I have a question regarding the class chosen 945H.  These were 4650 cubic foot cars with roof hatches and are of the early center flow body type: high ladders and grab irons on left side.  This model is not available in N scale.  The closest class to any of the available N scale cars (MTL and Intermountain) are the ex EL CE16A  and ex NYC 114H.  These are 4650 cubic foot cars with the mid production version: ladders on both ends, low brake wheel and side stiffener.  The MTL and IMRC cars are the post 1971 version, so they are not completely correct.  However, I am not hopeful we will ever see any more versions of the 4650 cubic foot cars, so a compromise must be made to represent these cars.  Photos of CE16A cars are fairly common, but 114H are another story.  They are very rare.  The only time I saw a 114H, it was still painted NYC.  I never did see a CR car.  Another option is class H45 / H45A / H45B.  These were just released by Athearn in the correct version and size and they are sweet!   

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
That's why I posted it-- I'm going to make something for myself, but figured if someone has a specific need in Z or N I will design them to cover both bases. 
I have no idea what the gaps in Microscale's coverage of N (or do they even do Z?) are.  Incidentally, the notion came to me when seeing the "orange C" PC logo on a PC covered hopper, although it was a model and I have not seen a prototype picture.. but that can be done.  Anyway, I'll be drafting this week so chime in (anyone) who has a request.

I believe the orange C in the PC logo was unique to a group of GP40's delivered to PC by EMD: 3170-3186.  This was not applied to any PC freight cars I have ever seen (I have not seen them all, so it may exist).  The red P scheme was applied to some freight cars for a brief period in the Spring of 1968 (May and June).  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
If I understand correctly, the H45 would be a good candidate for Conrail decals in in N scale. 

I can do several versions: White lettering (name/logo varied in size and spacing) and black lettering for gray versions. 

Just to be clear of the N-scale model, we're talking about this one?

Thanks,Jesse

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
If I understand correctly, the H45 would be a good candidate for Conrail decals in in N scale. 

I can do several versions: White lettering (name/logo varied in size and spacing) and black lettering for gray versions. 

Just to be clear of the N-scale model, we're talking about this one?

Thanks,Jesse

I would recommend making them general purpose. I mean, MTL DID just come out with this beauty of an H45, which means those exist easily:
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-Trains-N-09400630-3-Bay-Covered-Hopper-Conrail/

That being said, I think a set that includes a ton of numbers (usable for both covered hoppers as well as other hoppers) would be very nice to have to renumber these cars and the fleet of others sitting around on peoples shelves.

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 04:00:12 PM »
+1
I would recommend making them general purpose. I mean, MTL DID just come out with this beauty of an H45, which means those exist easily:
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-Trains-N-09400630-3-Bay-Covered-Hopper-Conrail/

That being said, I think a set that includes a ton of numbers (usable for both covered hoppers as well as other hoppers) would be very nice to have to renumber these cars and the fleet of others sitting around on peoples shelves.

I agree that a general purpose set would be great, particularly for oxide red cars.  A set to cover gray cars would also be useful, especially if they cover gray cars painted in the 1970’s and early 1980’s.  The Microscale set takes care of a lot of the mid 1980’s and beyond cars except for the aforementioned incorrect road number size.  The MTL car is really nice, but an H45 it is not.  An oxide CE16A would have been a superior choice and much closer to the prototype.  I bought five with hopes of renumbering 4 into CE16A’s. One is a sacrificial lamb to try lettering removal techniques.  I tried Coleman camping fuel and it was a failure. It did not even remove a hint of the lettering after soaking for over 45 minutes (paper towel soaked in fuel).   I may try a different technique with the camping fuel, letting the car soak submerged in a jar of fuel for at least 30 minutes, and checking the lettering every ten minutes thereafter.  If this does not work, I am hopeful my air eraser is going to work.  I really do not want to paint and decal the cars as decals would be a nightmare with piecing correct ones together.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 04:36:32 PM »
those exist easily:

I didn't know MTL did a version and they always do a great job--but I didn't see these variants (as always, there are plenty of them);  Anyway, I'll do the artwork and fiddle around to see what you/anyone wants in N.

Gray body/black lettering
  • Big CR symbol (5'6")l/large (1'9")logotype  890805
  • Small CR symbol (2') /medium (1'3") logotype  886554 or 890825
  • PRR symbol 259910
Oxide body/white lettering
  • Big symbol(5'6")/large (1'9") logotype  888135
  • Small symbol (2') /medium (1'3") logotype  888200 
  • Medium symbol (4'6") /medium  (1'3") spaced out logotype 888164

The added white numbers above could be used to re # the MTL cars-- if someone measures with a micrometer I'd like to ensure mine are a match -- should be 11-inch reporting mark/numbers according to the Book (someone kindly referred me to!)  I could do a few complete RN just so no cut/fiddling needed as well.

Jesse

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »
+1
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
First draft artwork.  I designed for T but these are fully scalable.  If these are made as N (or Z) sets, the layout will be made to optimize space used and minimize cutting difficulty.  Designs are all based on prototype photos and the Conrail Style Guide.  I'll probably get a set or two made next week in T scale for myself.

Cliche I suppose, but it's amazing how much variety there was even for the "same" car.

Jesse

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »
Cliche I suppose, but it's amazing how much variety there was even for the "same" car.

Welcome to Conrail.