Author Topic: FINALLY!! Thank you Ohio!  (Read 1931 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
FINALLY!! Thank you Ohio!
« on: July 24, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »
https://thevwindependent.com/news/2020/07/22/2020-edition-of-model-train-show-set-for-this-weekend/

See you there, albeit under a mask. Its a nice small show. There won't be a ton of stuff to buy, per se, but its a great small show for those into local RR history. Learn about the CN (no, the other one). Moreover, if you are hungry for ANY train show this year, it will meet that category well. New Haven Indiana is not too far to the west and offers some good railfanning. As the saying goes, you never know what you'll find sometimes at small shows like these. I have found a few gems here over the years.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:26:56 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Buffering...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Somebody grew a pair, FINALLY!! Thank you Ohio!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 03:01:25 PM »
+3
I don't know, a crowd in an enclosed space smells like a "hotspot in the making" to me.

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
Its too far away from you anyways Ed.

I didn't say I was going to linger there ALL day. With masks, I figure its no worse than my local large grocery store chain or Wall Mart. And, so far, I have survived them. Risk to be sure, no doubt. Its calculated. And remember, with N scale its a surgical strike. Scan quickly for tiny boxes. Do not linger to scan each individual item.

Here comes pandora's box on this topic eh? I love to stir you guys up.  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:10:28 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »
+1
The association between toughness and wearing masks, etc., is really getting old.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 03:12:42 PM »
+2
No stirring here.  Small venue with a limited attendance and a mask requirement sounds like a reasonably low risk adventure...  As you say, at least the same exposure as a grocery.  The only variable is will the vendors maintain the level of sanitation that grocery employees are required to...  I mean, as long as you're not eating the trains you buy... should be reasonably safe.

And knowing how some modelers smell at these things, masks might just become a regular thing going forward! 

Maybe we need to add a mask imogee! (sp?)
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
+1
I don't know, a crowd in an enclosed space smells like a "hotspot in the making" to me.

It very well could be. Allen county to the east of Van Wert is at level 3 meaning very high exposure and spread of COVID-19 and was just taken off the watch list for level 4 which is severe exposure and spread. And every major metropolitan area in the state except for the Youngstown area is at level 3. Govenor DeWine announced a statewide mask mandate that went into effect yesterday at 6pm. A sure sign that we as a state are headed in the wrong diection with cases. The sad part is we were doing so well until the bars, vacations and a couple of other events took place. And while I've not been to this show the others in the state I have been to are way more crowded especially with people of questionable hygiene than any grocery store I go to. I'll be keeping my non-attendence streak intact by not going. I am the only thing I have control of during this situation and I have too many family and friends that are high risk to be taking chances. Stay safe.

parkrrrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
It very well could be. Allen county to the east of Van Wert

Very important to specify the "to the east" part, as New Haven is also in Allen County, but it's not the same Allen County.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Re: FINALLY!! Thank you Ohio!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 05:36:35 PM »
No stirring here.  Small venue with a limited attendance and a mask requirement sounds like a reasonably low risk adventure...  As you say, at least the same exposure as a grocery.  The only variable is will the vendors maintain the level of sanitation that grocery employees are required to...  I mean, as long as you're not eating the trains you buy... should be reasonably safe.

And knowing how some modelers smell at these things, masks might just become a regular thing going forward! 

Maybe we need to add a mask imogee! (sp?)
Lee

Given what I've seen at grocery stores, I'd have no problem attending a small show with a mask.  And I'm in 15-20 stores a week for work.

And it's emoji  :D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 05:51:41 PM »
Ohio is on crack. They mandated masks in a few county's on July 12, then on July 16 they lifted it in my county. (not others) Then a week later they mandated it for the whole state. Make up your mind.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
+1
We're really gonna do another mask thread, huh?   :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 05:54:58 PM »
We're really gonna do another mask thread, huh?   :RUEffinKiddingMe:
Let's not.  :facepalm:
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »
+1
Not a mask thing. A they changed their mind 3 times in 2 weeks thing.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »
No mention of any "seniors only" early shopping hours at the start of the show, as some supermarkets have implemented.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 06:10:21 PM »
Will they have arrows on the floor advising which direction to down the aisles?

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
Total ohio population effected by covid: .69%
Total population effected in my state:  .85%

Cases in Van Wert county: 56
Cases in Allen county: 512
Cases in my own county: 403

Not feeling the panic. Caution to be certain, but not panic. With masks, some distancing, and not lingering for long periods - still not overly concerned.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:34:03 PM by w neal »
Buffering...