Author Topic: drawing some background stuctures for backdrop  (Read 2157 times)

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: drawing some background stuctures for backdrop
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 08:30:01 PM »
And this is probably a typo, but in the OP, it says "and the height being 2.75 for 8' ceilings or 3 for 12' ceilings" 
I think that's right (approx) for the 12'/floor (3" totalling 40' in N scale)- and allows for the thickness of the floors and roof.  But the 8'/floor would be 0.9" shorter, as the building is 4' shorter per floor so 3x4' = 12' = 0.9" in N scale.

thank you for your observations and feedback

yes, i agree...it seems my error was in measuring with pixel size (height) using the setting of my software to 600 dpi and doing the math from there.
then there is the reality i miscalculated. not a typo, but a breakdown in my use of calculator and numbers.
i think i will start anew from scratch and try to get the variations in height correct
(we do live in a twin on a street with many row homes and i spent some time in Philly having many contacts for work in row homes and I thought the image was pretty close to the google street view image of our house...then, it is not a sure thing that such image is an accurate representation)

let's see what i can come up with in the next week.

hoping everyone has a safe and healthy weekend with fun things to do

sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

glakedylan

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 08:33:47 PM »
In my experience mullion is probably the most misused word in model rairoading (applied to model structures).  Modelers keep calling muntins mullions.  Not sure how that started, but I have seen the misuse going bacg decades, even in articles in Model Railroader magazine.

yes, Pete...it would seem to be the case. but, for me, i am not that technical in knowledge or verbage
windows have a framing, a sash, and panes. :-)

but since you've stirred my interest level I am going to do some window research
heck, we are going to have to do replacement windows here at home in the next couple of years
so it is timely to get familiar with the correct terminology

thanks!

Gary

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 03:00:28 AM »

yes, Pete...it would seem to be the case. but, for me, i am not that technical in knowledge or verbage
windows have a framing, a sash, and panes. :-)

I'm far from being an expert in windows, but I am inquisitive about strange new words I read or hear (English being a 2nd language for me). I also use Wikipedia and that was where I learned about about muntins and mullions.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +980
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 12:10:34 AM »

thank you for your observations and feedback

yes, i agree...it seems my error was in measuring with pixel size (height) using the setting of my software to 600 dpi and doing the math from there.
then there is the reality i miscalculated. not a typo, but a breakdown in my use of calculator and numbers.
i think i will start anew from scratch and try to get the variations in height correct
(we do live in a twin on a street with many row homes and i spent some time in Philly having many contacts for work in row homes and I thought the image was pretty close to the google street view image of our house...then, it is not a sure thing that such image is an accurate representation)

let's see what i can come up with in the next week.

hoping everyone has a safe and healthy weekend with fun things to do

sincerely
Gary

Gary, I have found photos quite useful- find a picture online or in your case, perhaps just take a couple in your neighborhood.  I use the computer to adjust their size to whatever scale I am working in, print them out and take measurements from them.  While not necessarily precise, it can be a good way to make things "look right." And the basics of, for instance, a 3 story building, will hold whether it is a single family brownstone or a half block long apartment building.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

glakedylan

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »
OK...reworked my calculations. Placement of windows, along with their size, have be altered
and some extra additions of 3D enhancement. more may still be needed.
here's what i've come up with this past weekend:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
sincerely
Gary
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:12:38 PM by glakedylan »