Author Topic: Another "gem" from Round2/CMW  (Read 4066 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Another "gem" from Round2/CMW
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »
Apparently they were listening - the fire truck has been cancelled or so my email from N Scale Supply just told me.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2020, 11:10:04 PM »
I mean, sorry if it comes off as mean but eh. I can see the push back, the stuff shown compared almost unfavorably with some of the offerings that was put out in the 60s. I know they are just getting into 3D printing but there are already a couple players on the market that are both much cheaper and offer much better quality items compared to what was presented.

/my bit in beating the horse to death.
-Al

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4603
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2020, 11:52:41 PM »
I highly doubt that Round2 employees are monitoring this forum, and even if they do, that few honest and blunt opinions presented here caused them to cancel some future offering.

But if the comment her really did cause them to  cancel those products, then good for them! Maybe in the future they can improve their models.  The prices they are asking for those models is comparable with much better quality offerings from other companies.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1327
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2020, 01:53:41 AM »
+1
The real problem isn't the low quality of the printed products, although that doesn't help anything.  The problem is the use of "artist's conceptions" for advertising, leading customers to think the finished product will be, if not perfect, at least close to the pictures. 

If we could still wait until something was released, then look at it in person, before buying, it wouldn't matter.  Poor quality simply wouldn't sell, and the manufacture/importer would get instant feedback.

This way, though, they sell the product regardless, so don't get the feedback.  Then they wonder why the next item doesn't sell.

According to Phillip, Round2 apparently DID get the word this time, so maybe they'll do better on the next one.  Good quality 3D printing would be great for small-run truck trailers and beds in N scale, and, face it, by mass-production standards, most of our models are "small run".
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2020, 03:02:00 AM »

According to Phillip, Round2 apparently DID get the word this time, so maybe they'll do better on the next one.  Good quality 3D printing would be great for small-run truck trailers and beds in N scale, and, face it, by mass-production standards, most of our models are "small run".

Not sure about that. He said "apparently". Unless he knows for a fact that this Railwire thread caused the cancellation, I will still treat it as his speculation.
. . . 42 . . .

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2020, 08:35:06 AM »
Not sure about that. He said "apparently". Unless he knows for a fact that this Railwire thread caused the cancellation, I will still treat it as his speculation.

As ever you are correct - I don't have any insider knowledge.  But the run has apparently been cancelled.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2020, 12:48:31 PM »
As ever you are correct - I don't have any insider knowledge.  But the run has apparently been cancelled.

Yes, I didn't think that the relatively small Railwire crowd of  :ashat: s had enough influence to cancel some mainstream product, just based on few opinions given in a thread.

But OTOH, I know that quite a few manufacturers have user accounts here, and I would hope that they do notice, and find out comments helpful.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:54:33 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
Wait, were there samples of the fire engine to be seen somewhere?

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2020, 02:09:24 AM »
Actually, all I said was that they "got the word", I didn't claim that our posts were the source.  And I agree, our small group probably wouldn't have made much of a difference.  But they probably got complaints from a lot of customers who aren't on this site as well.
N Kalanaga
Be well

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »
The TrainWorx trucks are so good that no vehicle compares.

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »
Since we have so much power maybe we should get the ScaleTrains standard turbines cancelled! Then the Rapido Dash 8's! Then the JTC well cars! Burn N scale to the ground! If I don't like it, it must go! (sarcasm)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8020
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »
The TrainWorx trucks are so good that no vehicle compares.

Truth.

The River Point Station stuff too.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2020, 07:32:25 PM »
Truth.

The River Point Station stuff too.

The Ford P/U's released are too modern for me but let's not anoint them after one release with a variation or two.
Still far from being in the same class as Trainworx.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2020, 12:32:24 AM »
+2
Tom Mann:  True, but most modelers can't afford enough of the Trainworx trucks to fill a modern town or industrial area, and they're very hard to repaint or kitbash.  There is a definite market for less expensive, and less detailed, models.

The original CMW trucks, while less detailed than Trainworx, or Athearn, could be made into a a nice vehicle, and were inexpensive enough to buy in quantity.  I have quite a few kitbashed into grain and other "local service" trucks.
N Kalanaga
Be well