Author Topic: N scale kitbashing over the last few years  (Read 3670 times)

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
N scale kitbashing over the last few years
« on: July 05, 2020, 04:15:46 AM »
+3
Maybe interesting crap from a part-time kitbasher who lives a long way from the USA.
Over the years I've kitbashed a few ATSF locomotives because they weren't produced or were crap:
So if you remember the old saying, make it yourself then a manufacturer will make it.

Beep - kitbashed from a VO1000 and GP7 - LookModel then produced one.
F45 - built Southern Alberta Rails resin kits - Athearn released the F45 - yep I bought some
Purchased an old Lima FP45 - detailed the life out of it with etched parts - Athearn released the FP45 and I bought these
EMD SDF40 - Kitbashed this from 2 FP45 Lima Shells added etched parts etc, painted and decaled - Kato releases theirs.
FM 10-44 - spent a lot of time kitbashing this from various shells - South Boulder Model Works released a 3D shell on Shapeways
FM 12-44 - same thing happened - needless to say I bought a couple.
DT 6-6-2000 - this was doing the rounds a decade ago and a few of us got motivated then it stalled when rumours of a 3D print was being designed - enter James Trains Part in the uK - released on Shapeways - I bought 2.
Alco S2 and S4 - I started kitbashing these - accurate and painted but I hadn't got the mechanism done - Atlas and Bachmann release their versions.
GE 44 Tonner - Randgust special - Bachmann released their version.
GE 70 Tonner same deal as above.
RSD 15 - spend months working on this and had trouble with the nose and parked it - ATSF N Scale Models (Jan) released his 3D Shells on Shapeways - spectacular!!
RSD 7 - Got mine done, mechansim done - as above.
U25C - Kitbashed a Northern Pacific U25C - detailed, painted, decalled and Hornby (Arnold) released their version.
SW1 - Another Randy special which I modified to ft a NW2 Kato mechanism - Hornby released theirs afterwards.
U30CG - bought Minitrix versions which are a bit short and Jess_Glz on Shapeways made a 3D Shell on shapeways.
U28CG - Completed this from a Minitrix, made it more to the prototype - Manufacturers I'm waiting!!!
GP40X - kitbashed this but nothing on Shapeways or Atlas, BLI, Athearn, FVM,Intermountain,Bachmann, Kato????

I'm not saying my feeble kitbashing efforts caused anyone to do anything but count them up 15 out of the 17 have been made, just as well I have about 30 more to make  :o :D

So I guess start kitbashing if you want new stuff :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:17:23 AM by kiwi_al »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: N scale kitbashing over the last few years
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 05:58:18 AM »
Yep I know the feeling. But looking back, it's been about 20 years since I really got back into modeling after ditching it in high school. So that is a long, long time for manufacturers to come up with stuff.

To me, Shapeways stuff still isn't up to standards. But pair a good designer with something like the Photon? Just look at CG N Scale. That stuff is amazing! I really wish Mark4Designs was still around.

I had  a few projects that almost made it:

GP15-1: JnJ shell that was modified to match the Conrail prototype. Painted up and started installing handrails - total FUBAR. I think that GP20 mechanism under it is now residing in a Guilford GP9. The Atlas model followed about 8 years later.

GP40-2LW: One of my favorite engines. Tried using an Athabasca Shops etched cab on a modified Atlas GP40 shell. Another FUBAR. The cab had no real way to attach to the shell and I could never get a good enough connection to the front pilot. The thing fell apart about half a dozen times before I took a literal rubber mallet to it. I have since learned a lot of good construction techniques.

Attempt #2: When IM introduced their SD40-2W, I purchased several spare shells and started work on a new GP40-2LW. Used the proper GP40-2 hood with the radiator screens back dated, brake wheel mounted in the proper place as well as other specific details. Then I found out that the cab is a scale 8" wider than the walkways of the Atlas shell. No fixing that. Luckily this was only two years ago and the Briggs GP40-2LW is a better model all around.

Remember when a bunch of us discovered the shells for JnJ's abortive 44 tonner? I built one, including the etched handrails that were designed for it. It really was a beautiful casting and I think that shell looks better than the Bachmann model that came out several years later. I ended up selling my model on eBay. I wish I had kept it. I now have a Bachmann model standing in its place.

F45: I didn't need one but I love the look. Built the SAR kit and had it painted in Susquehanna when -something- happened. The Floquil paint reacted with the resin somehow and the entire thing turned into rubbery mush. To this day I do not know what happened. Athearn's F45 is a great alternative though.

GP38-2: M4D shells on the Atlas GP40-2 mechanism. Both models are running alongside the Atlas and Walthers versions that came out years later.

There are a few I will not build: The CF7 I'm not really happy with the kits available for these and I think someone will make these RTR someday. Or Briggs. I'll take a Briggs kit too. The MBTA rebuilt GP40MC. What fresh hell are these? There is NO panel that wasn't changed from the donor engine. I mean look at this thing.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3144071
That WAS a CN GP40-2LW. They even stretched the frame.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »
Can you bash a Baldwin DRS6-6-1500?

Skeebo

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
     I've felt your pain my kiwi brother. 20 years ago when I was Jim's N Scale Shells, I had 60+ different KATO quality shells available. Over time half of them were released by the major manufacturers. I still have a few projects on my shelves that were half finished when they were released before I could finish mine. Eventually I sold out to Liberty models as he said he could mass produce, he never did. Four years later my lawyer buddy got my master molds back. But in those 4 years my focus went to a layout I could run my 800+ locomotives on. I'm still working on that damn layout. But occasionally I finish up a big project, like a couple months ago the three C855s for George Johnson. I had worked on those for about a year when I saw they were released in 3D print through shapeways. I took the shortcut, but I agree with you, Shapeways is still too crude for my standards.
     A friend of mine got a Photon printer a few months ago. He's making amazing stuff, but software is not my forte, I'm afraid my old fashioned skills are as obsolete as I am.

Jim

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »
Let's see....

* Started working on an Amtrak F59PHI from a resin shell available at the time and then Athearn came out with theirs.
* Built an SP (ex DRGW) SD40T-2 from a resin shell available at the time and then IM came out with theirs.
* Kitbashed a BNSF SD75I out of an Atlas SD60 and then Athearn came out with theirs.
* Started a kitbash of an SP (actually SSW) GP60 and then LL came out with theirs.
* Kitbashed a GP60M and then FVM came out with theirs (quite a bit later...so this kitbash got some pretty good air time).
* Kitbashed a GP60B and then FVM came out with that too.
* Kitbashed an SP SW1500 and MT came out with theirs. Ended up building 4 more anyway and may do more.

My only unique loco kitbash that still stands is my SP MP15AC. :RUEffinKiddingMe: ;)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:14:51 AM by tehachapifan »

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
+5
Hi Al,
It's happened to me as well, but here's one that I think is safe.  An Alco C-636P, originally proposed for Santa Fe but never built.  I'm fairly confident no manufacturer will make this.

Cheers
Steve
NZ

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »
+2
Hi there,

Can imagine some disappointment here end there....... but on the other hand look at the bright side!
I started kitbashing in the 80's....... and had the same experiences.
Positive development: with the newer 3D techniques at hand it is possible to recreate better (more accurate) models and SHARE them........
I do hope I have not offended somebody by doing the RSD-7 and RSD-15...... (or other models).
Some of my old kitbashings just ended up in the dustbin because newer examples were better; others are still running around on my layout.
Thats called PROGRESS......... LOL......
Lets all enjoy the newer releases ..... or just hold on to your old kitbashings!
Happy N scale railroading,

ATSF N Scale Models, Dirk Jan Blikkendaal
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 03:07:00 AM »
+1
I was posting because I felt some irony in creating the models I wanted and then having someone come along and doing an even better job. 
I look at Dirks models with a sense of awe that he has created some very iconic Santa Fe models. I'm saving my pennies for his RSD15's and 7's along with his turtle back tender (saving me a lot of grief with this one :) )
I feel very happy that some have been made by manufacturers particularly the SDF40's, that was a painful build.

Steve that Alco C-636P is awesome!!! Hope you aren't getting too much snow down there  :D :D

Russ, you made me want to make those GP60M's and GP60B's that you did but by the time I got my act together FVM made them so I pounced and got some  :D

Watching Dan years ago creating moulds and resin shells got me into doing that, so thank you Dan for your tutorials and Dan Mark4Design is still around just not for model trains anymore.

One of the postives is that if you spend the time creating these models at least some of them will be made by a manufacturer - it might just take a few years.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 09:38:13 AM »
Hi Al,
It's happened to me as well, but here's one that I think is safe.  An Alco C-636P, originally proposed for Santa Fe but never built.  I'm fairly confident no manufacturer will make this.

Cheers
Steve
NZ

Would have been a handsome loco in red and silver.  Sort of an Alco version of the U-30CG and FP-45.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 10:47:41 PM »
+5
Here is one bash that I did back in 2016. Too road specific so I feel safe to say that none of the manufacturers will ever produce one. Pretty safe bet!

BTW, she still runs today.

Stay well,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Skeebo

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 12:15:16 AM »
Actually I have an SP AC9 in brass. Perhaps you're not counting brass?

Skeebo

cjp53

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »
Here is one bash that I did back in 2016. Too road specific so I feel safe to say that none of the manufacturers will ever produce one. Pretty safe bet!

BTW, she still runs today.

Stay well,
Carl
Well done,great looking steam engine!!!

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »
+3
This thread is kind of a real testimony to 'perfection is the enemy of good'.   As I've been in N scale since 1972, my kitbashing has progressed from some rather abortive attempts to some pretty fine-edged stuff, and also testimony to the absolute fact that if you kitbash it, it will be manufactured.   And not every wonderful idea actually works.

1973:  Messed-up attempt to do a six-axle powered Alco RSD in zebra-stripe by merging the drives of two Roco RSC2's with a Trix motor.  Failed.
1974:  Hand-repainted Trix U28C to yellowbonnet and wide radiator for U36C and got photo in NMRA bulletin.
1975:  Did the Rapido 0-6-0 to a 2-6-0, square tender, Trix motor, for HVRR #5.   Still running today on third motor.
1976:  Bigfoot the Heisler from a Roco Atlas GP30 frame, Trix motor, Roco 0-6-0 wheels & rods, scratchbuilt body.   Still running today, was in MR.
1977:   Met Tom Hoover and learned how to do wire handrails - major leap forward on detailing and kitbashing
1977:   Repowered Lima FP45's with Trix chassis to make F45's, highly successful.
1977:   Tried same stunt for an SDP40F (Amtrak) Lima FP45 on a Roco E-unit chassis, moderately successful but ultimately sold
1978:   Full rebuilds of Bachmann 4-8-4 to no traction tires, solid drivers, loco pickup, details.   Successful but incredibly noisy
1978:   First CF7 kitbash from Atlas Roco GP9, scratchbuilt round cab, frame, handrails.
1978:   Repowered Rapido GP30 with N scale of Nevada Atlas GP7 drive, very successful, highly modified body.
1979:   Second CF7 kitbash from Atlas Roco GP9, scratchbuilt square cab, bult as resin master for JnJ.
1990's  Repowered all Lima F45 shells with Kato SD45 drives and upgraded paint and details
1980's  Four repowered, handrailed, and repainted RSD15's, still running today.   Second rebuild of U36C and U28CG
2000    Pair of Lima FP45's on Atlas SD50 chassis, body by Rick Peltz, did paint and lettering, kept one, sold one.
2001    Repowered both U28C's and U36C's to Kato drives
2004    Joined Atlas forum, submitted design changes to Atlas on Micro-Ace 2-6-0 kitbash I had done
2004?   First heard about Ron Beardon's Kato Shorty chassis and 44-ton ideas, started to scratchbuild 44-tonner
2005     Successful scratchbuilt 44-tonner on Kato shorty chassis with Faulhaber motor
2005     EMC40 kitbash/scratchbuild out of Kato chassis, ran but not practical
2005     Trackmobile concept on Kato 11-103 chassis, works great with pickup flatcar
2006    25-ton Shay on Kato chassis, runs but spinning crank concept abandoned
2006    First resin casting of sideframes and build of Climax B with working jackshaft, highly successful
2006    Expanded resin casting to produce first Climax A conversion kit of Kato chassis - started "Randgust".
2007    Scratchbuilt resin master for GE 70-ton on Kato drive and etched brass details - pre-Bachmann kit
2008    Kitbashed SW1 shell to fit on Life-Like SW chassis for Jerry Britton, fair but too difficult, success on Kato NW2 chassis
2010    Scratchbuilt/Kitbash accurate Lima 2-6-0 on Atlas chassis with tender gearhead drive
2010    Final design for resin + etched brass CF7 kit - highly successful on Atlas GP7 revised chassis
2011    Development of GE 25-ton critter, multiple mechanism attempts.   Meh.  Runs but many issues.
2015    Fourth generation kitbash of U36C cross-kitting Kato C30-7 and U30C shell parts.  Best build yet credit to Daniel Leavitt for concept
2018    Complete rebuild and crosskit of Jamco 4-6-2 to ATSF models tender and Shapeways details - successful
2019    First Nn3 adaptation of Climax A to narrow gauge, successful if difficult
2020    PRR D16sb 4-4-0 project underway from Rivarossi, Bachmann, and Kato parts.   Jury still out

And this many years later, trying to find a way to do an 'easy' build of a 47-ton Heisler from available parts and/or affordable kit.   I can probably scratchbuild it as a one-off, but the mechanism remains highly elusive, particularly when the gold standard is a proper wheelbase on the trucks, 8-wheel drive, and a rotating crankshaft.   Until then, my original 1976 kitbashed 'Bigfoot" is still an amazing example of why you should never let good be the enemy of perfect - I'd still be waiting for 44 years for a working Heisler.   

And as you can also see, the creativity and friendships I've made on the forums launched everything, with special credit to Chris333 for teaching me resin casting, and also photoetching, even though as a production idea the photoetch was much better purchased than made.   And yes, I have done Shapeways RP, designed those miserable ATSF phone booths.  Great idea with minimal financial rewards!   The current surface quality has just made magnificent leaps forward - did a custom build of an Alco MRS1 printed shell on a Kato frame that was absolutely as good as injection molding.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:34:23 AM by randgust »

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 01:27:18 PM »
The real problem of RP printed shells isn't designing and printing the shell - it's designing a shell that works with a minimum of fuss over an existing or slightly modified mechanism.   The MRS1 was a great exercise in that, it took a LOT of shell and frame modification to fit it on either a Kato or Atlas RSD/RSC chassis.   No thought was given to how to fit it to a drive.   Same deal with the JnJ CF7, shell was right length, won't fit anything, and he went under trying to custom-commission a mechanism after the shell was done.   That's the real challenge - what compromises are you willing to live with on a kitbash?

Verne Niner and I were well on the way to the DT-6-2000 project, and were working with Mark 4.  I went ahead and designed the overlay truck sideframes in resin as my first part.   I found it would work on a C-626 Atlas chassis if you reversed the trucks to get the axle spacing, but the body still had to be 'adjusted' to fit the mechanism.  And, like many ideas, there's where it stopped cold.  It wouldn't be 'right on'.   When you start debating whether or not  it will be accepted or not, everybody goes back to the beating that Atlas took on their second-generation GP7, the one with the wacky truck spacing that visually, really couldn't be defended.   http://www.spookshow.net/loco/atlasgp79.html

So that one model is why a lot of other 'close enough' attempts have not been done since, it's either perfect or nothing from most manufacturers, and don't look now, but there's a whole lot of nothing out there for a lot of desired production.    Enjoy the kitbash and embrace it rather than waiting....and waiting....and waiting....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:30:52 PM by randgust »

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
Can you bash a Baldwin DRS6-6-1500?
Yes but Rasputen on Trainboard has an almost complete shell done. I've bumped that thread to see where he's at.
Mods - sorry about the TB reference.