Author Topic: Bachmann Announces N NYC J3a Hudson  (Read 6582 times)

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +1174
    • PRR N Scale
Re: Bachmann Announces N NYC J3a Hudson
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »
Will they be the streamline Dreyfus Hudsons in the gray livery, or just plain black unstreamlined locos?
I'm still hoping that Kato will eventually produce the NYC Dreyfus Hudson and a 1938 version of the 20th Cantury Ltd.

Unfortunately, the 1938 Century would require almost completely different tooling.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2807
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2020, 03:08:36 PM »
Unfortunately, the 1938 Century would require almost completely different tooling.

Oh well.  That ain't happening then.  :x I guess my only option is to look for the brass car set which was produced at the same time my loco was made.  But they are rare, and fetch extremely high prices on eBay when they do show up.
. . . 42 . . .

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +536
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
I was trying not to model NYC!!!! but I have a soft spot for the Hudson's
I know.....

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 03:34:50 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe. An L-2 or L-2a. But I will need yet another rectangular tender!
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +645
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 04:00:01 PM »
PT tender next? 
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 04:03:32 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe. An L-2 or L-2a. But I will need yet another rectangular tender!

Yeah. When they come out will have to get one to check the actual driver size and spacing. And see how the drivers are constructed.

If they use the standard bearing block they have used on the K4 and 2-8-0 then 2mm Association wheels could work. They have offer conversion bearings that are the same outside dimensions but fit their wheels, but they're only available to members...

If you go for a download only of their newsletter it's "only" 20£ a year or 57£ for 3 years.  Might be worth it to build up a supply of parts if they have other parts that are interesting.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:13:00 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +432
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
Yeah. When they come out will have to get one to check the actual driver size and spacing. And see how the drivers are constructed.

If you go for a download only of their newsletter it's "only" 20£ a year or 57£ for 3 years.  Might be worth it to build up a supply of parts if they have other parts that are interesting.

I highly recommend membership to anyone interested in building N scale steam. The wealth of knowledge in the membership is incredible.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1448
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 06:49:15 PM »
Not a NYC expert but quick research shows that: J1s have 79" spoked drivers, J2s have 75" spoked drivers, J3s have 79" disc drivers, either Boxpox or Scullin.

The wheelbase is spot on for a B&M P4, just need to change the trailing truck and cut 4' off the rear. I wonder if 3D printed centers would work, reuse the tire and axle, probably the crankpin too. It may be worth trying, particularly if someone can tell us how the drivers/axles are assembled. Actually, that won't work, they're almost certainly diecast, rather than plastic centers with pickup strips. If they use the standard bearing block they have used on the K4 and 2-8-0 then 2mm Association wheels could work. They have offer conversion bearings that are the same outside dimensions but fit their wheels, but they're only available to members...

If they use the typical bearings, the k4 spoked drivers might work they are not 84".  Then use the original side rods and valve linkage.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 09:52:40 PM »
Yes I d like those, too. Let’s dream on...
But, what Bachmann REALLY NEEDS to do is to finally give up on their many-times-retooled 2900 class 4-8-4 pos and produce a new, 21st century version of it, perhaps timing it with the upcoming completion of the 2926 in Albuquerque. What a half-million pound show that will be....
Otto K.
Careful otto, us santa fe modelers aren't allowed to bash when somebody comes out with another engine that's not what we want!  :o
EFM (Elite Fleet Modeler) member #1
I want a 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2!
Modeling Cajon Pass in 1947

Brian M

• Crew
  • Respect: +159
    • Hudson Valley Lines
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »
This is simultaneously awesome and less than ideal. As a NYC modeler, I've been hoping for an updated Hudson for quite some time, so I'm really excited for this announcement. But the timing of the release will make for quite an expensive fall and winter since the Kato 20th Century should be shipping later this year, too. Reminds me of when all the SPFs had multiple PRR models released in very short order a few years ago. Oh well, it is a "problem" worth having.

Regarding some of the comments about a Hudson pulling the Century (specifically the 1948 version Kato is doing), I don't think I've ever seen a picture or heard a story of the Century getting a Hudson on the point after 1948. And one could probably be fairly certain it would be rare for such a thing to happen starting in 1945, when the first group of E7's were delivered. Niagaras did get the assignment, although I don't know how frequently. Having said all that, there are certainly cars from the Kato release that could realistically end up behind a Hudson, namely any of the sleepers, since those would typically get assigned to different trains. And finally, one could also just not worry about it and do whatever they might want to do. So go ahead, use one of these Hudsons to pull the Century.  :D

-Brian.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +237
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »
The NYC Hudsons are a great looking loco, they tempt me even though I have absolutely no use for one. 8)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2807
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »

Regarding some of the comments about a Hudson pulling the Century (specifically the 1948 version Kato is doing), I don't think I've ever seen a picture or heard a story of the Century getting a Hudson on the point after 1948. And one could probably be fairly certain it would be rare for such a thing to happen starting in 1945, when the first group of E7's were delivered. Niagaras did get the assignment, although I don't know how frequently. Having said all that, there are certainly cars from the Kato release that could realistically end up behind a Hudson, namely any of the sleepers, since those would typically get assigned to different trains. And finally, one could also just not worry about it and do whatever they might want to do. So go ahead, use one of these Hudsons to pull the Century.  :D

-Brian.

Good info - thanks Brian! Still, the paint scheme will not match.  The Dreyfus Hudsons are light gray with dark gray stripe, and the Kato train will basically be painted in reverse.  I'm still on the fence as far as getting this set. I was really hoping Kato would have produced the earlier set.  But Kato would not make a train set without having a matching loco, and obviously they were not ready to make the Dreyfus Hudson, when they already make E-units.
. . . 42 . . .

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +421
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »
+1
Finally something with Commonwealth tender trucks! I bet these are good ones too that won’t require my terrible electrician skills to add tender pickup. I’ll take about 8 pairs please!  :D

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »
PT tender next?

What a beast, nice!
Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

Brian M

• Crew
  • Respect: +159
    • Hudson Valley Lines
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »
Good info - thanks Brian! Still, the paint scheme will not match.  The Dreyfus Hudsons are light gray with dark gray stripe, and the Kato train will basically be painted in reverse.  I'm still on the fence as far as getting this set. I was really hoping Kato would have produced the earlier set.  But Kato would not make a train set without having a matching loco, and obviously they were not ready to make the Dreyfus Hudson, when they already make E-units.

Yeah, of course Pete. I was talking about the un-streamlined version from Bachmann. If you're looking for cars to match your Dreyfus Hudson, the NYC "20th Century" streamlined cars from InterMountain are your best bet, without having to spend mucho money on the Key cars, as you pointed out. The observation car from InterMountain is based off the 1938 Century "River" cars and the sleeping cars are also quite close. The main cars that aren't a match are the RPO and the diner, and there's no lounge car at all. But they did decorate them in the slightly later, 1940, version of the Century paint scheme, with all aluminum colored stripes, which matches the Key Dreyfus. For as famous of a locomotive the Dreyfus Hudson was, and all the imagery of it used in ads and such, they didn't keep their streamlining for very long, with all 10 of them returned to their un-streamlined state by 1946/47.

-Brian.