Author Topic: Photon S owners  (Read 1168 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Photon S owners
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:48:35 AM »
Thinking about getting a PhotonS for the dual rails to get better prints.

Dual rails for a regular Photon are $120 and a PhotonS is $370. My Photon is almost 2 years old now so the screen could burn out at any time. Seems just getting a PhotonS is the better option to hopping mine up. Plus I will end up with 2 trays so I can always have one ready to go.

What I'd like to know is can regular Photon files print in the S?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Photon S owners
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 06:25:51 AM »
What I'd like to know is can regular Photon files print in the S?

I don't know why they couldnt .. you might need to re-slice them ..

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
Once you update the firmware, it will be able to read .photon, .photons and .pws files.
Because why not...

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
Thanks. I wouldn't want to re-slice them. Because after slicing they sometimes take another hours worth of pixel editing to get rid of the crap.

Plus I can't seem to figure out the Photon Workshop software. It is keeping the objects right on the plate instead of lifting it up for supports to fit.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »
Thanks. I wouldn't want to re-slice them. Because after slicing they sometimes take another hours worth of pixel editing to get rid of the crap.

Plus I can't seem to figure out the Photon Workshop software. It is keeping the objects right on the plate instead of lifting it up for supports to fit.

Can't fully remember the pixel thread, but are you using ChituBox now?  I was worried about pixel issues but haven't run across issues after diving into the game late.  I'm doing Fusion360 .STL---> ChituBox ---> Elegoo Mars

I picked the Elegoo Mars after checking for newer Photons, and seeing reference to the Elegoo Mars being a slightly better version to switch to.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 10:26:42 AM »
The only thing you "give up" using just a .photon file vs .photons  is the new(ish) anti-aliasing.  Not really a big deal, though.  But, as noted, you need to update the firmware.

Not only a second tank, but a second build plate, as well!
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »
@Chris333 you might wait for an Elegoo Saturn (look it up it's impressive). Same base technology (same board maker) but it has a larger screen. 8.9" I believe.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »
@Chris333 you might wait for an Elegoo Saturn (look it up it's impressive). Same base technology (same board maker) but it has a larger screen. 8.9" I believe.

Specs look nice, but it appears to be made of unobtainium at the moment. When "2nd run pre-orders" are sold out and the first run hasn't hit the streets yet, be prepared for a long queue.

It also means that AnyCubic won't be far behind - IIRC they use the same factory if not many of the same components.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »
Yes the Saturn would probably end up as my next printer.

I figured out what was wrong. Sent me file to a guy with dual rails on his regular Photon and he got the same banding.

When I rip off the supports I toss them in the trash. He kept his and noted that the banding was right were the diagonal bracing of the supports intersected. So I re-supported it and then removed the criss-cross braces. It printed fine.

So for now the Photon stays.

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 11:09:16 PM »
Glad to see the issues were resolved! I've been running the dual rail upgrade just about since I started with my Photon. There was a slight improvement, less banding in the z direction, but its not a massive change.

the Elegoo saturn is for sure on my list now, printing 30' cars on the photon is possible, but its tight. Especially since id like to do passenger equipment next