Author Topic: Bachmann Doodlbug Cannot go in reverse  (Read 828 times)

crouchkl

• Respect: 0
Bachmann Doodlbug Cannot go in reverse
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »
I finally pulled my 15-20 year old Doodlebug out of it's box and put in a DCC decoder. Then I programmed the decoder and put it on my main line. I started it down the line and then stopped and put it in reverse. It moved a few inches and then just started making a motor sound. It won't move, but the motor is spinning. Every time I try, it does the same thing. Could this be a problem in the gears? Or is this a known issue with the single set of drive wheels?

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
Re: Bachmann Doodlbug Cannot go in reverse
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 06:07:13 PM »
I finally pulled my 15-20 year old Doodlebug out of it's box and put in a DCC decoder. Then I programmed the decoder and put it on my main line. I started it down the line and then stopped and put it in reverse. It moved a few inches and then just started making a motor sound. It won't move, but the motor is spinning. Every time I try, it does the same thing. Could this be a problem in the gears? Or is this a known issue with the single set of drive wheels?

Bachmann and 20yrs old. Are you able to remove and visually inspect the truck? Non zero chance at least one of the gears is shot considering it sounds like the motor itself is healthy. Make sure the separated truck can roll independently.

Also welcome to TRW.
-Al

crouchkl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »
Does anyone know how to get the gears and truck? I can see that the screws on the bottom will allow me to remove the motor. But the casing around the gears appears to be part of the frame.

crouchkl

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »
So, I figured out how to get the truck out. It appears that the plastic shaft on the motor is loose. What is the best method to attach it to the metal shaft?