Author Topic: Pacific Railway & Navigation  (Read 14127 times)

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: Pacific Railway & Navigation
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2021, 03:09:53 PM »
Aren't the Kato viaduct pieces superelevated?  If so, that's probably not a good idea in a helix, because it might increase the odds of stringlining a train.

Hope this helps,
DFF

The single track ones aren’t.  I know that the double track ones are. That’s why I didn’t mention them.

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2021, 05:14:29 PM »
If the radius works for you, then yes, the added plunge protection makes sense.   I wanted at least a 15” radius so went with the regular unitrack.   I’m not sure this is the most ideal construction method - it can’t be - but I hate cutting plywood and this just allowed so much work to be done on the workbench with more precision and less waste.
So it fit the bill for me.....

I’m happy with how the helices operate & no spills after more than a year with the first helix.

Michel

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
If the radius works for you, then yes, the added plunge protection makes sense.   I wanted at least a 15” radius so went with the regular unitrack.   I’m not sure this is the most ideal construction method - it can’t be - but I hate cutting plywood and this just allowed so much work to be done on the workbench with more precision and less waste.
So it fit the bill for me.....

I’m happy with how the helices operate & no spills after more than a year with the first helix.

Michel

They make a 15” radius single viaduct.

I was thinking about maybe getting some and experimenting with it and your design.

I’ve went back and forth on the helix thing in my planning.  I think that the way you designed yours could work for me, if you don’t mind me copying off of you.

MDW

• Crew
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:41 PM »
Cool- looking forward to seeing you improve on the idea.   It’s by no means perfect!

Michel

MDW

• Crew
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2021, 12:41:11 AM »
+8
Made progress in May with the east end of the line and built the small yard and engine facilities at Timber - Benchwork, roadbed, trackwork, & wiring.  Also successfully wired the reversing section that heads into my yet to be built staging yard (a major accomplishment after the steep & painful learning curve on the wye at Tillamook!) and built & installed a motorized Peco turntable.   Look closely and you’ll see the layout’s first bit of scenery in the turntable pit!!!

Michel

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2021, 06:57:05 PM »
That is really nice progress. I thought this summer would be a railroad summer, but it just isn’t working out that way. Looking good!

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »
I'm interested in your verdict on the Peco turntable, now that it's been in service a while.

Jim

MDW

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2021, 12:10:10 AM »
I'm interested in your verdict on the Peco turntable, now that it's been in service a while.

Jim-
The turntable has worked out well.   The layout is fairly simple in terms of electronics, lack of switch motors, control panels, etc, but I did build a stepper motor drive for the turntable that works well - no indexing, but nice slow movement.

Michel

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2021, 01:08:58 PM »
I like it simple.  :)

Thanks! I'm considering options.

Jim

MDW

• Crew
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »
+6
Finally was able to spend some time on the layout and finished up Reliance Creek bridge that sits at about 74” above the main floor over the duckunder.  Added track, a deck and handrails to the 7 deck girder bridges that are built around an aluminum channel and permanently set that in place.  Then built the towers that are temporarily set to see how the bridge will look when completed.  They will be permanently installed after the scenery is built beyond the bridge. Everything is painted, weathered and ready to go. 

Cheers
Michel

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
Very nice, Michel. That’s going to look stunning.
Is there another support where the two girders meet?
Otto

MDW

• Crew
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
Very nice, Michel. That’s going to look stunning.
Is there another support where the two girders meet?
Otto

Hey Otto-
Yes.....have yet to build the concrete pier (or footings & abutments) that sits at the right end of the bridge where the shorter girder meets the taller sections.   Focusing on getting the upper deck mainline finished and then will circle back to finish up this scene. 

The beauty of having the structural aluminum channel supporting the bridge means that I don’t have to go back and rip out a temporary bridge when I’m ready for building out that area. 

Michel

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »
Yes, looking great; the aluminum channel is a life saver. I wish I could use that trick on an HO bridge I’m working on for a friend. Hard to align, as it is over 10’ long with a main arch span of five feet.
Designed a “cradle” for it out of 2x3 lumber, plywood, and one by’s….pic below.
Can’t wait to see your bridge done!
Best, Otto

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2021, 11:27:54 AM »
Hi Michel,

Any updates? This is one of my favourites…

MDW

• Crew
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2021, 04:00:57 AM »
Hi Michel,

Any updates? This is one of my favourites…

Thanks!

Yes.... it’s been a while since I’ve posted any updates.  I’ve just finished laying and wiring track from Reliance Creek bridge up and over the summit at Cochran.   I’ll grab some photos and post them in the next day or two. 

That leaves another big steel trestle, a curved wood trestle and maybe 12’ of track to get to my “golden spike” moment.   I’m tired of looking at the layout in its current state, so may do some fascia work along with the bridge building over the holidays.

Michel